1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Interesting comment that they overvalued their draft picks just to undervalue them when they became FAs. As far as remaining free agents, guessing most teams are waiting to see who is available after cuts to make their next moves.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, agree with you. Miller is good when used a certain way. He's a good blocker as well

3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

why wait this long to release this guy.. Poor guy you make him think hes doing all the right things (working hard) etc.. Then cut him.. crazy

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

yes you should listen to Arian fosters Podcast with Dre (if you haven't yet) Dre asked for a trade after the 12-4 season, because he saw the direction of the team.. He went to Rick and explain his frustration and Rick basically told him they will stick to their motto and build through the draft.. Arian stated he never understood - After the Patriots beat them in the playoffs the patriots were out there making spashes in free agency , while the texans never had any big signings/. He mentioned only JJO as a big addition he remembers.

UTSA2step likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is pure revisionist bullshit. Here's the free agency "splash" New England made after beating the Texans. Their 2011 class, which consisted of four - 4! - players included a 678-year old Chad Johnson.

The Texans were stacked in 2011-12. Johnson is either a general malcontent who didn't want to be here (or, at least, didn't want to be here on the contract he signed) OR....... he saw the writing on the wall with Matt Schaub and knew he'd never take the team anywhere. And as viable as that may be, I look at what Dre did with Schaub and, I mean....... His numbers were phenomenal (minus the TDs, which were really more Kubiak/Foster)

UTSA2step and csj like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Can't say I'm surprised by that news. I feel bad for him, but the fact that he still got paid for a year after his career ending injury kind of makes it a wash.

10. Mr. Clutch

So as of now, our tackle situation is worse than last year.

Crazy but true.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Actually he said Gary, not Rick.

12. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

you might be right- its been a while since i heard it.

Nimo likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Andre said he he saw the signs after that season and he felts there were players on the team that were just taking up space. It was more premonition than malcontent. He and Arian did agree that the Texans would have won the superbowl that year if Schaub had stayed healthy. And I don't recall him saying anything about the Patriots making a splash in FA. I think that was just Houston2017

14. Hey Now!

Admittedly, I've heard most of it second-hand - but he mentioned, like, back of the roster guys, right? Back-ups who couldn't/wouldn't play special teams?... I mean, that has some validity (and this team's STs have been atrocious for nearly 16 consecutive seasons) - but that seems like a mighty big leap if, a year earlier, he thought the team was good enough to win the Super Bowl.

Also.... if he was THIS upset with the team, didn't respect the owner.......... why sign the one-day contract and retire a Texan?

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

He probably saw some other things that made him feel this way. He also said there was someone else on the team who said the same thing. A lot can change in two years (2010 to 2012) and that team stumbled its way down the stretch into the playoffs in 11/12. The team wasn't playing as well as it ended the previous season and started that season.

I'm not sure where you're getting him being as upset with the team. He never said he was upset with the team, not on the podcast. And didn't say he didn't respect the owner. He said he didn't like the comments and it made him think twice about showing up for the ring ceremony. He also said he wasn't too surprised by McNair's comments. Why retire a Texan? For the city, for his teammates, for the memories?

16. Hey Now!

Didn't Foster disagree with his assessment?

And it wasn't two years; it was one year. He thought they were good enough to win the Super Bowl is 2011 ("He and Arian did agree that the Texans would have won the superbowl that year if Schaub had stayed healthy."); wanted to be traded a year later (2012). And yes, they did stumble. They also started 11-1 that year so while I can appreciate the end of the season leaving a bad taste, he's not demonstrating a strong grasp of the bigger picture.

Ah; got it.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Foster didn't agree. It sounded more like "I had a feeling were going to be bad" than it was an "I hate this team". And he obviously didn't force his hand. He just went to the coach and asked.

I say two years because he made the comment AFTER the 2012 season. It sounded like he saw something as they lost to the Patriots in the superbowl. A lot of us were saying they were not as good as their record was. He probably felt the same way. Getting embarrassed by the Patriots can do that to you.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

"moving nick Martin to a guard, could have 4 new o lineman in front of Watson"
    "Been ready to put in Romeo's defense for 2 years now"

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sorry James, everyone is talking about that.

mikol13 and Mr. Clutch like this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

What are they talking about?

Romeo was the DC two years ago. Vrabel was DC only one year.

And we let 3 starting OL go (Clark, Giacomini, Xsf) so we knew about the ol