1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Unofficial] Cowboys @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Aug 28, 2010.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

True but loyalty is a big thing for Bob McNair. Kris Brown is an original Texan (the only one left) and got a contract extension at the beginning of last year. I feel like they'd give him the benefit of the doubt if it were a 50/50 decision between him and Rackers.

Tangent but even Brad Lidge got a full season with the Astros after the Pujols debacle before being traded.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One of Kubiak's problems is not making changes. Brown needs to go. Slaton should have been benched halfway through last year. Amobe might need to be benched too.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree. If Brown and Rackers are "tied", the edge should go to Rackers. Rackers is 41/45 the last two years on FGs while Brown has been 40/55.

4. droxford

droxford Member

I still don't like our red zone efficiency at all.

but it's double sweet - Texans win. Cowboys lose.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And the two years before that, Rackers was 49/67. And Brown was 50/65 the last two years, not 40/55.

If you look over career stats for both Rackers and Brown, you'll see that neither has been incredibly consistent from year to year and their career averages are virtually identical. They're both about 50% from over 50 and both virtually perfect inside the 30 and both at 60% in the playoffs. Rackers is 28th on the active list for FG% and Brown is 30th.

There's not as much difference between the two as people are making out. The year Brown had last year has made people get down on him.

Brown had 2 very good years followed by a crappy year last year. Rackers had two subpar years before a fantastic year in 2005. Not that I'm suggesting it would happen, but it would hardly be surprising to see Racker have a down year while Brown rebounds because neither guy has been super consistent from year to year throughout their careers.

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This loyalty thing has to top for McNair and the Texans. You do what is best for the team. Having Brown out there and having him miss another kick would be horrible for the team and fans. If it's Rackers who misses one, most could stomach it.

8. Scarface281

Not to mention the extra points that Brown was missing last season. It was embarrassing. People are seeing why Bill Cowher kicked him off of the team. When the pressure of making the playoffs is on, Brown is just not reliable. When the team is only aiming for that .500 record or below, Brown would be great (no pressure).

9. eaglepoke56

eaglepoke56 Member

Always enjoy seeing Dallas get drilled , preseason or not! :p

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

Thats just silly. There was no playoff pressure last year. We wouldn't even have been in the race if not for a flurry of wins to end the season.

There was no choking under pressure, since there was to pressure to choke under. He just flat out wasn't very good last season. If he looks just as good as Rackers this year though, I say we give it another go.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

to me, if all things are equal, you go rackers. so when brown inevitably misses an easy fg that would've tied or won a game for us, people won't say "see, they should've replaced him". most texans fans will understand why they would replace brown.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. I think KB is done here.
    Bringing him back smells of the infamous David Carr Extension.
    Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses.

Rocket River

13. Cannonball

What are you talking about? Kris Brown missed one XP last year and it came in the last game of the season. Guess what? Rackers missed an XP last year too. They're both 98% in their career on XP's. Brown has missed 2 in 8 years with the Texans. Rackers has missed 2 in his 7 years with the Cardinals.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Not FOR or AGAINST either right now (I will withhold judgment until the last preseason game), but... wouldn't that argument also go the other way? :confused:

As soon as Rackers misses, won't some say "See? We should have kept Brown." ?

15. Cannonball

Of course, if Rackers has a let down season while Kris Brown rebounds somewhere else, Texans fans will b**** about that as well.

If you only look at last season, Rackers does look like a much better option. But if you look at their careers, they're very similar kickers and neither is incredibly consistent from year to year. I'm not going out on a limb by saying Brown will have a better season than he did last year and that Rackers won't be as good as he was last season.

Once you get beyond the top tier of kickers who consistently hit 80+% of their attempts every year, it's really a crapshoot as to what kind of year the lower tier kickers will have. Brown and Rackers are both lower tier kickers. Both are capable of having really good seasons and both are capable of being less than mediocre. Looking at the big picture, they're very similar kickers and it's really impossible to tell what kind of year either is going to have going into any given season.

Looking at last year seems like a good barometer, but when neither guy is consistent, it's not a good way to predict success for the upcoming season. I think the coaches know this. They're trying their best to let Brown and Rackers determine who gets the job through practice and games. I believe that last season won't have much if any bearing on managements decision about who to keep and who to cut. It's all going to come down to performance in camp and preseason.

#175 Cannonball, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  16. Scarface281

Are you kidding me? We were 5-3 going into the Indy game. That's when the sights of the playoffs were completely on and that's when Brown started sucking. Did you watch him when he would go onto the field to kick field goals or extra points (after the Indy and MNF game)? He had a "oh ****, I have to kick" look. And Cannonball, Brown missed chip shot field goals as well. Don't remember Rackers doing that. I just have no idea why people want to be so loyal, just because Brown is a original Texan. Get that weak stuff out of here. Kubiak needs to be able to cut a kicker and sign a new one. This is seriously the only team I see having trouble letting go of a (average at best) kicker. Bill Cowher had no problem cutting Brown when the playoff pressure made him start missing kicks.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

of course you're going to have people saying that. it just seems to me that more people are anti-brown than anti-rackers.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It was even till I saw Brown make that tackle in the Dallas game. Rackers, not too sure.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That was a good solid tackle. Hit him hard and wrapped him up like a pro.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I really do feel like we are the only team that would even ENTERTAIN the idea of bringing Brown back after the abysmal season he had last year. Sometimes it's just time to cut ties, and I think that time has come. It's not supposed to be this hard.