1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unexplained chest pain

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rimbaud, Sep 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I spent Thursday night in the ER extended to the hospital through Friday because of chest pain/numbness in my left arm/light headedness kind of symptoms. EKGs fine, multiple blood tests negative (enzyme tests - if there is heart damage supposedly you produce an enzyme), echocardiogram showed all normal. Stress test later.

They had no idea what it could be if not heart but all signs are the heart is OK. I have been having some stomach issues so I thought maybe it could be related but they kind of brushed off those questions. The only other thing I could think of was anxiety attack or something but right now my life is pretty stress-free compared to the majority of the last 2-3 years. So I have no clue.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know of someone who did? I have an appointment with my regular GP Monday morning so I am trying to think of possible scenarios to see if we can get it figured out. I still have chest discomfort (but not pain like Thursday), btw, so this is annoying.

I can't imagine the stress test will show anything. I am in a soccer league and run around for 80 minutes at a time so it seems like walking on a treadmill won't be hard on me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I had been having some chest pains at the beginning of the year. I went to the doctor and he did an echocardiogram and found nothing. They wanted to do a stress test but I would have had to pay for it out of pocket and I couldn't afford it. He ended up giving me some samples of Prevacid and those seemed to help. He then wrote me prescription for Nexium when I told him the samples had helped. Now I just just take generic Omeprazole (Prilosec OTC) because it's basically the same thing and I haven't had any problems since.

I never had the numbness or light headedness though.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear rimbaud - have you had a flu anytime recently? I did have some chest pain about a year ago, and I had a flu before. They did some testing, and while I had a total right bundle branch block, they said this is nothing to be too worried about. It went away eventually, but I tried to avoid stress for a while. Have you had stress recently? How old are you?

Definitely make sure you sleep a lot and be careful.

Hope all will be well.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a doctor, but I believe that sometimes the stress test shows arrhythmias or changes in the QT interval that occur beneath the level of perception.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Not to freak you out but....

My cousin has had those type of symptoms for years. He finally went through a battery of tests and discovered that he had Crohn's Disease.

It explained all of his stomach issues and pain.

He's on some strong pills, but he's feeling much better and his quality of life is the best it has been in awhile.

I'll send a prayer your way, homie.

7. no_answer

no_answer Member

Well...

I have had some similar stuff go on (chest pain -ekg came out fine, stomach pain, anxiety, stress) & had a million expensive as hell tests done on me while I was in the hospital. I ended up with some antispasm medication for my stomach and a really strong acid reducer which took care of my chest pain.

8. FFz

FFz Member

I don't think the dude has Crohns... It was prob just heart burn.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Could be, but the numbness and symptoms he listed "read" very similar to what my family member had.

Just offering a suggestion to look out for. I'm no doctor, but I did get tested for Crohn's before I was diagnosed with cancer.

Sometimes it's good to check for all possibilities. You only have one body, one life.
    :)

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is there some connection between Crohn's and the risk of heart attacks? My aunt had Crohn's and eventually died of a heart attack years after her Crohn's disease was diagnosed.

11. no_answer

no_answer Member

Oh one more thing to add :) You have to find a way to cope with your stress because it just makes things worse. If you had stress before I KNOW you have even more stress wondering what is wrong with you, figure a way to release some of your stress it will help no matter what your issue ends up being.

My stress release was God.

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I've had chest pains that made it painful to breath, what disease is that called?

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Sounds like a stomach/GI problem more than a cardiac problem. Possibly an ulcer, GERD or from the description sounds like a hiatal hernia. Basically a problem of misalignment of where your esophagus pierces through diaphragm. A hiatal hernia results in food and acid going back into esophagus causing chest pain/heartburn. It is one of the few GI problems that causes chest pain especially pain radiating to left arm.

Go see an GI physician on Monday.

14. danny317

danny317 Member

how old are you? diet? regular exercise? alcohol? smoking?

describe the chest pain?

15. trustme

trustme Member

Sounds definitely like a panic attack. Stress isn't always visible enough for you to rule it out as a cause for panic attacks or anything else. You mentioned you weren't stress free 2-3 years ago? Stress can build up and it can manifest months or years later in the form of one thing or another. But since you did have a stomach problem I'm assuming, if it was a panic attack, that it could be some sort of stomach infection. You should go in for a stool test.

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

CKMB and troponin are the biggies for those enzymes you mentioned. They will be elevated in cases of MI (heart attack) as they are released into the blood stream when there is damage to the heart muscle itself.

I won't speculate as to what it is, but I will say that indigestion can produce similar symptoms as people often mistake indigestion for symptoms of an MI.

I haven't taken my RN boards yet, so take this with a grain of salt. :)

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I had severe pain seemingly in my chest once and it turned out to be diagnosed as an ulcer.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Don't cancel your appointment. Keep digging until you find out exactly what the problem is.

19. duwende

duwende Member

GERD baby. Take some nexium.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

weird they didnt take x-rays,ct,mri. Some insurances would have you skip that in order to save money.