1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Underrated players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mfclark, Aug 3, 2002.

1. foodworld

foodworld Member

Pat Garrity?

He is a total joke. He can draw defenses out to the perimeter with a nice outside shot coming off screens, but that's about it on offense. He is forced to play power forward, however, and is sometimes matched up with weak centers. He is too undersized to be very effective within 15 feet, and doesn't have the ball-handling skills of Mike Miller or Lamar Odom; he can't take anyone inside. He doesn't really have a position to play, and it hurts him even more defensively.

My candidates are Alvin Williams and Lawrence Funderburke.

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

Alright, then why did he average 11ppg last year for the Magic with three other players ahead of him in the lineup to score - McGrady, Miller, and Armstrong? Could it be that defenses forget about someone like that every game, or perhaps he's better than you give him credit for?

Your statement there contradicts what you said to begin your statement, so I don't know why I'm even arguing the point, but I digress.

The point of this thread is to discuss underrated players. Mike Miller and Lamar Odom are not underrated players - they are superstars. Every player in the list has a flaw of some sort, but each player is still underrated for what they do well.

Lawrence Funderburke? He doesn't even see playing time.

Alvin Williams? If anything, I think he's overrated, a combo guard without a position or any real redeeming quality. But, your opinion there.

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Dude, you just described a rocket legend. Don't tell me you have a freaking problem with Matt Bullard too. Dude was very effective for us in his role. Yeah, he couldn't do a lot of things, but what he could do, he did well. That's kind of what an underrated player is. Someone, who knows their role, and plays it well. You know, like Lawrence Funderburke and cheerleading, or Alvin Williams and bricklaying.

4. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Kurt Thomas
    Dell Curry
    Mugsy Bogues (I know he's not in the league anymore, but he was one of those guys)
    Derek Fisher (As much as I hate the flopper, the Lakers play much better with him at the point.)
    Chucky Atkins
    Danny Ferry (Why do I keep listing guys I hate?)
    KT - appreciated in H-town but underrated everywhere else

5. foodworld

foodworld Member

Because the NBA is WEAK...

Agreed, but I think it's ridiculous that a below-average player like Garrity could convert on over 40% of his 3pt attempts. The NBA should lengthen the perimeter to 25' (the corners, where these one-dimensional players like Danny Ferry get most of their shots off, are out to only 22' - I think)...

He would be a sixth man on most teams. Has good range and can take players inside, though, even moreso than Garrity, doesn't have a position to play.

He is his teams best defender, can usually break down team defenses himself, always finds the open man, is a prolific scorer, seldom turns the ball over, has the size to play two positions, etc. I think that there are way too many "combo-guards" in the league, but Williams is the best of them.

I messed with the Bull. Now I get the horn. ;)

Seriously, Garrity isn't all that much better than Bullard...

...but you're all entitled to your own opinions. If I knew everything, I'd be coaching.

6. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

erick strickland - great d and can play the 1, 2, and the 3 if needed.

adrian griffin - solid defense and lets the rest of the mavs be the stars.

eric snow - is fine with his role simply being "get the ball to iverson"

damon jones - solid point guard that has been great for every team he's been on.

aaron williams - great rebounder and the real reason why the nets did so good last year.

7. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

After watching game 4 of the 97 Western Finals, I would have to say Eddie Johnson. I once heard Bill Warrell say that he holds the NBA record for the most point scored w/out an All-Star selection...

But then again, he retired several years ago so nevermind...

8. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

If they did that then Garrity would be a better 3 point shooter than Francis, Mobley, Kobe, keep naming them. About everyone except 3 or 4 guys in the league. What does being a good player have to do with having 26' range? According to that logic Dan Marjele was the best player ever. His range was a full 5 or 6' off the 3 point line.

9. DJ

DJ Member

Kenny Thomas
    Pig Miller
    Eduardo Najera

10. aLfaBoLoUs1

aLfaBoLoUs1 Member

Robert Horry easily, he's probably more rated now bc of his playoff performances and clutch shooting!

11. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Dennis Rodman

Matt Bullard

Chuckie Brown

Scott Pollard

Vernion Maxwell

Avery Johnson

Rastaman

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

BULLARD! GO BULL!

He is pretty underrated. Though some may overrate him. (not me...;) )

13. wagner

wagner Member

Probobly the most underrated guy is Coray Maggette because he has the potential and athlectism to be a very very good player...and he is working very hard to acomplish that.
    For crying out loud eaven the SLAM sead that
    Coray is very underrated ....and I think that he will be among leagueas elite SG/SF's...

14. wagner

wagner Member

sorry.......the underrated guy is Corey Maggette not Coray....:p

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

16. zenmar

zenmar Member

Can we put mark madsen there? or do you think he is overrated so he cannot be consider.