1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Under the Radar SGs and SFs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 13, 2013.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

With only a second-rounder to pick up a decent back-up shooting guard or back-up small forward, I have been looking over other teams for players we could sign to relatively inexpensive contracts.

For SG Xavier Henry IMO would be a nice acquisition. He's going nowhere with New Orleans; he's a pretty good shooter and scorer; has demonstrated decent defensive traits; he's still very young which fits well with the Rockets; and I cannot find where the Hornets have renewed his option.

For SF I would love to get Chase Budinger back from the Wolves, but, as long as Rick Adelman is their coach, Bud won't leave. So, my #2 choice would be Martell Webster. Despite his "experience" he is very young; has a solid mid-range and long-range game; must be taught defense; can, like Chase, play SG or SF; and could blossom with focused coaching.

Yes, we could go after Morrow of Dallas and players like that, but they would almost demand to be first stringers and/or demand high-paying contracts.

However, the question is: who do you think might be strong candidates for relatively low-priced, under the radar acquisitions at back-up SG and back-up SF?

2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I like Stephen Jackson, Matt Barnes among others. I think dropping Garcia and Delfino are musts, they were nice for us but not worth the $3mil-$9mil commitment.

But in regards what we seek; experience, athleticism are there but mostly 3pt shooting and defense.

Morrow is nice, but he needs to pick it up on D. We need someone with the grit to rebound and cover 4s in rotation like Barnes and Jackson will. When we go with our winning lineup; Asik-Parsons-X-Harden-Lin or Beverely we need that X to defend 1-4, and be a very gritty player.

3. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

lol Webster would demand a much higher contract than Morrow...
    Morrow could be had for the minimum.
    Would also like Calderon.

Calderon + Morrow = two the best shooters in the league.

From the draft there is Tony Snell & Glen Rice Jr. Two good shooters with size.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Mickael Pietrus only made a little more than $1,000,000.00 this past year... maybe we could add some depth at both positions with him.

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

You mean for as long as McHale is the coach, Bud ain't coming back??

I remember Bud tweeted something negative about McHale after the trade.

Edit: It was Ray Richardson: Chase let it out that he & McHale had issues. "It was tough at first. He didn't know what I could do." Chase happy to reunite with Adelman.

#5 kuku, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Would it be possible to decline Garcia's option and then sign him to a cheaper, multi-year deal?

For backup SG/PG, I'm hoping we make a run at Courtney Lee. Boston already has $73mm in committed salary next year, and they have Rondo, Bradley, Terry, and Lee.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Xavier Henry? No! No more Kansas lotto busts!

[​IMG]

#7 Carl Herrera, May 13, 2013
  8. jvu

jvu Member

Anthony Morrow
    Brandon Rush
    Kyle Korver - probably will stay in Atlanta though.

Draft:
    Glen Rice Jr - his father had more success and he was my favorite player at a point of time. I hope he will surpass his father one day.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Pietrus is a good name. He's a dumb player though.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Brandon Rush will be a target since Morey was high on him already.

Marrow is a head case. The Glen Rice Jr. Pick would be obvious because of his time in RVG.

I see Morey making a run at Mike Dunleavy, Wesley Johnson, Marvin Williams and Martell Webster when it comes to $3 million one year guaranteed deal type players

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Randy Foye would be awesome.

12. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Glen rice Jr will be a top 20 pick

13. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Gary Neal might be a real good fit.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

We need sf/sg,defensive,3p shooting
    Brandon Rush will be a target
    Matt Barnes among others.

15. Nook

Nook Member

No interest in Chase, he is a poor defender and an inconsistent shooter that has no love for the game. He is a deserving NBA player, but would rather look elsewhere.

Ideally would like a younger 2/3 that has high defensive potential that can hit 3's and stay out of prison. The problem is that San Antonio, Philadelphia, Boston, Portland and Dallas all want those types of players. Morey isn't really "Moneyball", because unlike Beane, he has so far stayed ahead of the curb.

Having said that I would look at:

Poindexter, Llayasova, Stephenson, Henderson and Anderson ...... but they all are either under contract or have serious warts.

So the second group is veterans, I would consider:

Dunleavy, Korver, Webster

16. thumbs

Maybe someday this is to where he will be kicked.:grin:

#16 thumbs, May 13, 2013
  17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If he can play, sign him minimum

18. thumbs

Foye is neither someone considered as "under the radar" nor inexpensive.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How'd you figure that?

20. thumbs

Henry's big mistake was coming out too early. He wasn't "NBA-ready" and that, IMO, is the biggest reason for his "bust" label. Again, IMO, he has solid potential and would be an excellent #2 at the 2 for the Rockets. He may well be a smelly Number 2, but it wouldn't cost too much to find out. IOW, Henry is worth the gamble.

Brandon Rush made the same mistake, but he has already worked out of the hole and would be far pricier than Henry.