1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Undeniably, Morey made a mistake.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Siu0410, Oct 6, 2019.

1. kaden

kaden Member

Chill out dude. You sound like you've been stuck in the basement far too long.

tuoxieman likes this.
  2. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

Hey man, China had changed a lot since 2002. Knowning all the problems you said, Rockets still picked Yao 17 years ago.
    The government and society can't become what you just said overnight. I think its fine, China will get there.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chinese fans need to GTFO for their apologist attitudes toward their government. China and freedom don’t mix.

RiceRockets likes this.
  4. Rockets Rule

Rockets Rule Contributing Member

1) So they should take away Moreys tweet privileges and be done with it.

2) Tillman should print a full page public newspaper apology on behalf of the Rockets organization. perhaps even in a Chinese newspaper.

3) The Rockets need to contact Yao for his thoughts on how to go about correcting this.

I think this type of acknowledgement and show of respect will go a long way.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Question about the Chinese education system. I am South Asian(Bangladeshi) ethnically but born and raised in Houston. When I did mechanical engineering undergrad and currently doing grad school, both South Asian and East Asian students who were here on student visas excelled and exams but were pretty horrible with creative projects that requires creative problem solving. This wasn't the case for Chinese American and Indian American students who were born and raised here in the States. They seemed to do as well as other American students in the creative aspect.

Just wondering if that is the reason China is a blatant intellectual property rights infringer? What is different about the education system there where they can only excel at regurgitation but not application?

da_juice likes this.
  6. max14

max14 Member

Practically, very good suggestions.

Morally it would feel very wrong.

What's the chance NBA will hold strong and the Chinese side will back off?

I mean if you are a basketball fan, are you really not going to watch NBA?

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

All this is stupid

No sports organization on the planet has catered to China the way the Rockets have. Time to pull the plug on it

da_juice and Manos like this.
  8. fchowd0311

#28 fchowd0311, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Rockets Rule likes this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think only Daryl Morey himself can state if he made a mistake or not. And he clearly has not actually publically apologized for his statement. His remorse seems to be that the entire Chinese government actually took extreme actions against one random foreigner posting on twitter. But he ain't coming to be pro-China on this issue anytime soon, or ever.

10. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

Hey man, I dont know I can answer your question well. The Chinese education system is all about test and exam. I didn't like it when I was young, because I always fail them, but when I think again, its a fair deal for everyone, the student from poor families can really change their life thru the college entrance exam. So, students who study very well and from poor family are able to go to good college(all colleges in China are public).

The bad part is students with great talent in art and etc. also have to take tests to be able to go to good college although the tests are irrevalant to what they want to do. A lot of artists and singers are dropout from school. So the chinese education system is not meant to select the best artist.

As for interllectual property, the government is working on building the system. America is right about intellectual property rights infringment. The company I worked in the past got fined for using pirate software, so the law enforcement is there. If you check the # of newly applied patent. China is got good number too, up there with the US. I think it will take another 5 years to solve it all. In fact, I think China will agree with US in the new trade deal regarding intellectual property.

11. Rockets Rule

Rockets Rule Contributing Member

You must be fun to have around at brainstorming sessions in the office, nothing like having an open mind... it must be difficult with your brain power having to digest such common thoughts, i am sure there is a forklift in a warehouse somewhere with your name on it.

In regards to the “catering” part of your comment, I am fairly certain that this is all about business and profits and nothing more. Obviously you are not a business man if your mind cant comprehend the basics of sales.

cheke64 likes this.
  12. riko

riko Member

The rockets won the respect of most decent common people who value democracy . So who cares they lost the respect of a bunch of dictatorship loving robots? Human integrity and respect for the basic human god given rights is far more important

13. fchowd0311

It's sad that you believe that he doesn't understand the Chinese market influence and why businesses cater to them. It's sad that you believe that is a complex enough premise that some people might no be able to grasp it.

We very well understand why the NBA and Tilman are being p*****s. It's because they want to maximize profits. They want to be billionaires, not hundred millionaires.

da_juice, HakeemOnlyFan and rhino17 like this.
  14. clos4life

clos4life Member

F the CCP and their Nazi ways. I stand with Morey!

#ChiNazi

15. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Morey only made a mistake if he didn't understand what would happen and didn't want it to happen. If he knew and did it anyway, he took a stand and that's admirable.

fchowd0311 and clos4life like this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

NBA should ban itself from China. Stop being a greedy pig. Damn capitalists selling our country and its citizens out.

Also, this way China wont have to worry about getting its feeling hurt and can enjoy DMo and Airemy Lin play in their own CBA.

Meanwhile, NBA can instead focus on American market, what really made the NBA it is today.

Where the **** is Trump when you need him??

Everyone tweet Trump and make him order the NBA to stop selling products in China!

Make NBA Great Again!

#36 Zboy, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    da_juice likes this.
  17. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

This is American political correctness in collusion with Chinese political correctness.

If you have a career somewhere in between both sides, it's stupid to take a public stand on such matters like Morey did.

da_juice likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

It's stupid if he didn't understand the consequences. If he did, its brave and admirable. It's admirable either way though.

da_juice and clos4life like this.
  19. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

Where does all this leave Morey?
    On thin ice. Morey is an incredibly bright guy, but after asking around it’s clear that he did not anticipate that his tweet would spark an international incident. From what I was told, Morey has friends in Hong Kong and was concerned with their safety, in light of the Chinese government’s ongoing attempts to restrict freedom of speech and assembly in their fight with Hong Kong over the extradition bill. Morey did what he thought was right, but his actions had significant unintended consequences.

So he's just stupid. Fine.
    Unintentional mistakes still have consequence though. I am 100% sure when the new season begins he would not be Rockets GM anymore

20. fchowd0311

Do you think you are more intelligent than Morey?