1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle - Time to pack it in on this year.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Aug 16, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is it, I have had it, yes I know we have 40+ games and are only 5 games or so out, but I don't see any fire in this team, nothing that gives me a belief that they are going to do another run.

They just don't have it, Roger should have stayed retired, our pitching has been suspect but our offense has been even worse.

I say it is time to find out what we have for the future.

Put Burke at SS full time, bring up House, let him play catcher in relief of Ausmus.

Let's get ready for next year, as this one is clearly over.......

And, if we somehow nose back into it, adjust accordingly.

But right now...Everett, Lane, Ensberg and Ausmus should be seeing significant time on the pine.

Lineup:

Tavares - CF
    Biggio - 2b
    Berkman - RF
    Lamb - 1B
    Scott - LF
    Huff - 3B
    Burke - SS
    Ausmus - C ( spelled by House)
    Pitcher

We have to get rid of lineups like today's where 55% or 5 starters had batting averages less than .240....pathetic.

DD

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Word. I have not given up on the season. But the changes you mentioned would have been nice 2 months ago.

3. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Who cares if Ausmus/Everett defense saves you 20 runs when their bats are costing you 30 runs!

Play Burke at SS

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Would a miracle finish even be worth the humiliation of getting swept by the Cubs? And has anyone noticed that 90% of the oppositions first pitches are strikes? I just sit there and watch pitcher after pitcher get ahead of our lineup and no one seems to want to swing at the first pitch.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Lamb should be in the lineup every day. That's one thing about Garner that infuriates me. Play Lamb!

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

since the Reds and the Cards are imploding as well, the Astros are still in the hunt.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Eff all of you. I never give up. :mad:

I was appalled at last night's performance, but this goes to show you they're willing to "go the distance" and keep playin', although Lidge's mistakes could have been prevented. Nonetheless, it was a dang good game and, though my boys lost, the Reds did too, so it didn't hurt as much. We need to win ALL of them.

Again, "eff" it. Don't give up just yet, double D.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Astros are draining my lifeforce this season. I think I would rather be counseling depressed people than watching the Astros at this point. In fact, maybe the depressed people I would be counseling are Astros fans who just cannot believe how whacked out this season has been.

9. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure as hell am not ready to pack it in this year. This team has problems. That's obvious. However, relative to the rest of the NL, we are really not that bad off. Right now, with the exception of the Mets and maybe the Dodgers, no team is a sure thing. In such uncertainty, I choose to remain hopeful.

However this offseason, we have some serious questions to answer..

10. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Lineup for the REST OF THE YEAR:

Taveras
    Biggio
    Berkman
    Huff
    Scott
    Lamb
    Burke
    Ausmus

BURKE at SS LAMB at 3rd

DROP Everett/Lane/Ensberg !!

11. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I do not want to dump Everett. Everett has actually been hitting as of late. As long as he can bat somewhere around .250, I'm all for keeping him. However, I have no hesitancy in dumping Ensberg or Lane.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There's more crap than Scraps can cover for.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't really get this logic; either trading your veterans away at the deadline or packing it in and giving you're prospects a chance...all while you're still not officially eliminated. Whether this team is there come playoff time, whether they even deserve it or not does not matter...they still have a chance so they should still throw the best lineup out there possible. Once their mathematically eliminated, ok fine, test the younger guys...but not until then.

Either way...J.R. House is not a viable option at catcher as has already been said...unfortunate as that is. I wouldn't be that averse to Burke at SS..but considering he's been slumping lately would the team benefit much more with him there (comparing his strengths/weaknesses to Everett's); I don't think so. We've already thrown our best up and coming pitchers out there at one point or another during the season. So what else is there?

With the NL as wide open as it is..never say never...honestly right now, I don't think they have what it takes to get to the postseason...there's too many weaknesses on this team whereas last season there was mainly one. But as last season proved, things can change quickly.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ah, 'the' question: what is the best possible line up?

Ah two: For that matter if this year's Bullpen was last year's 'pen what would this year's 'stros standing be?

15. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

It's easy to say that it is over for this team, this year and the way they're playing it probably is. But, the reality is that it isn't over. This is the smae team that won 8 of 10 just 5 days ago. If we win tommorow and the Reds lose, we can go to Cincinnati and leave there tied for the wildcard. It is just too hard in baseball to write a team off that is just 4 back in the loss column of the NL Wildcard, and has a history of improbable runs, and is competing for the wildcard with other teams that are mediocre at best.

Sorry to sound so optimistic, but I'm just not ready to write this team off completely, even though they are 38-54 since the 19-9 start. But the Astros don't even need a miracle to win the wildcard. We were 49-56 and the Reds were 55-48 at the trade teadline on August 1st. 7 games back in the loss column. We ran off 8 of 10 and were 1 game back in the loss column before Saturday's game. 4 days ago we were 1 back. 8 of 10 is nothing. We could make up these lousy 4 games so easily. I guess I'm able to look past the horrible play of the last 5 games, and see hope. Boy, I went to the game Saturday, maybe I cursed 'em. :confused: :D

16. JunkyardDwg

The million dollar question... and who knows what the answer is.

The beauty of last year was that our starting rotation and pen were so strong that they could compensate for the lack of offense. I bet we could have the WC lead if Qualls, Wheeler and Lidge shut the door like the days old. Still, last years team did start producing runs during that incredible run. This year's steam still hasn't quite done that (at least at a consistent clip). You know if they don't turn it around this season I'll just block out everything after April and I think I'll be content. They went 29-19 and were 1st place..that's what I'll tell my grandkids :D

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why not play Burke at 2nd? He's better defensively. Gets on base more. Steals more. Biggio has more HR power, but I give the edge almost everywhere else to Burke.

I don't hear the fat lady, yet.

18. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

Stick a fork in 'em - they're done. If somehow 88 wins would get into the playoffs, we'd have to play 31-11 the rest of the way - and I don't think the Astros can play .500 ball, let alone .667.

I've said it before the Cubs series fiasco - time to play the kids and start building for next year. Roger won't be back and probably Andy as well. See if we can get anything for Springer and Lidge (he's so fragile right now, I think he'd probably blow a 10 run lead).

Get rid of Lane and Palmerio; let Ausmus go after the season's over. The roster has severly stagnated over the past 3-4 years; we've got bad contracts now, most of which will go away this winter. Cosmetic changes are not going to help - drastic surgery is in order. :(

19. jackburton

jackburton Member

The person that has to go is Phil Garner. I hate to say it, but this guy just doesn't have the brains for the job. I'm sorry. Look at all the decisions he's made. Ol Phil just ain't that bright, guys. He's all emotion and no brains.

20. JunkyardDwg

This team misses the postseason this year and doesn't improve next year... I would agree with that...but I'd say it's pretty silly to can the manager a year removed from the World Series; especially when it's pretty damn obvious the players are the ones not doing their jobs. And if it was a matter of the players not listening anymore, him losing control of the clubhouse, that'd be one thing....but that's not it.