1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine scandal Megathread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Sep 18, 2019.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man...

I don't understand Republicans that have thrown away all their values for this guy. If this was a Democrat extorting Ukraine, the ridiculous Dems on here would be acting the same way that you republicans are acting now, two sides of the same coin.

Any soul that does not find this news disturbing and treasonous is someone whose opinion cannot be taken as an adult opinion.

I see dudes on here with American Flags on their profile pics, defending THIS GUY?

Come on now... How far will you go to defend him? I get it, Democrats are annoying. But seriously, there has GOT to be a better leader for the Republicans out there. Surely Trump isn't the hill that you wish to die on? RIGHT?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would they? Did Democrats stick up for Al Franken, Harvey Weinstein, etc?

joshuaao, AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think he squandered it. Rudy spent it all backing up Trump during his campaign lows, and got thusly rewarded by having his direct ear up until now.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That might be a better way to put it.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

For the few still sticking up for Trump, how do you think the whistleblower knew all these allegations in the complaint without actually being one of the main actors?

Leakers in the WH, likely someone acting out of patriotism, gave the whistleblower a treasury trove of wrongdoings (the alleged crimes and subsequent cover-up) in which Trump can be impeached. The complaint reads like a roadmap on how to impeach a POTUS.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

senator collins almost, almost is upset. Almost.

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

I just don't think this is true. I lean left and have my biases but if it was a Democratic president acting like this I would be extremely disappointed and would support their removal from office in hopes that the party would be able to move on and find someone who better represents my values. Until there is an actual example of the Democratic party and its members continually supporting a lawless president with a (D) next to their name, the "two sides of the same coin" is nothing more than a theory that waters down the behavior of the side that is worse. The closest example you can possibly find is Clinton and even his corrupt behavior was microscopic in comparison to Trump's.

Rashmon, joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Anticipating tweet where Moscow Mitch reads her a bedtime story promising to sooth her upsetting thoughts.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's because you and @FranchiseBlade up there aren't the "ridiculous Dems" I am referring to.

I am just dying for some more Republicans to speak out against this idiot, and bring back the Colin P/John Mac's of the world. I've never heard anyone more critical of Obama than John McCain, but he was also respectful and a good man that simply differed on policy.

What happened?

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

no sane person would act the way he has been...and him being insane is too easy an explanation for this behavior.

it makes me wonder what kind of dirt they got on him. same goes for lindsey graham and alan dershowitz.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Invisible Fan

Middle America is scarred by automation/offshoring and not being the majority in number anymore. It's a big social shift when one group is overtaken even if that same group has all the best high paying leadership roles.

With globalization, small towns get hit hard when big companies shift away elsewhere.

The fear of having no future in a home you've lived for 30+ years is chronic and terrifying.

Meanwhile coastal areas are benefitting from the recovery while promoting ideas and norms they think are progress. When the media promotes economic gains, they don't see it while they see the coast have twice the gains (real estate). It's justifiable to feel left behind.

The anger/fear is building up resistance to Trumps ugliest qualities provided they feel like they're being addressed or taken care of. Something as ridiculous as the hundred million mile Border Wall or as cruel as the ICE boxes is more cathartic to them than distressing and inhumane to someone else.

Fear can be considered a prelude to pain, or an anticipation of it. Neither side is seriously addressing that.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think Buttigieg for one has been speaking to this, the automation and small town issues, in the debates I've seen. I would hope Warren starts to hit on this more often.

joshuaao, RayRay10, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yang as well.

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

That would be a shift for Warren as she’s come out and stated that automation and globalization aren’t the main reason for job losses in these areas. She cites government policies as the primary reason.:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/04/elizabeth-warren-has-plan-nations-approach-trade/

Elizabeth Warren announced an agendaTuesday that she calls a plan for “economic patriotism.” Warren argues against claims that “globalization” or “automation” or a “skills gap” are causing job losses in the United States. She blames, instead, Washington policies.

To reverse these policies, she proposes a new “Department of Economic Development " that would: “replace the Commerce Department, subsume other agencies like the Small Business Administration and the Patent and Trademark Office, and include research and development programs, worker training programs, and export and trade authorities like the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. The new Department will have a single goal: creating and defending good American jobs.”

Like you, I’m hoping she comes around at least a little bit on this one as this feels like one policy of hers that doesn’t fit with today’s changing world.

No Worries and CometsWin like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Less so automation since it's faceless, unlike China, Mexico, the EU, etc in my opinion. Much more emotional appeal using Nationalism over the consequences of capitalism.

We haven't done a very good job of adapting to a new world as many folks don't feel like they need to adapt. Many folks think the post war Golden Age is the norm, but it isn't. We've become stagnant since the Great Recession and understandably, but middle America needs new skills and to move to where the jobs are. That's America's history.

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Just gonna leave this right here...

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Did you hear the latest desperation from the deep state? They made Trump tell people that anyone who leaked his illegal activity was on the level of a spy and talked about the punishment they used to have for spies. I can't believe the deep state was so desperate they made Trump do that.

That deep state is so desperate they made Trump make those veiled threats for talking about the things the deep state forced him to do in the first place. Then, I heard the deep state is charging full price for black hats again.

#557 FranchiseBlade, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Hahaha... :D

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

SMH... white house knew of whistleblower soon after the call with ukraine.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This is the mindset of many in the intel community. They feel justified in acting to overthrow the elected leadership by undemocratic means.

Silent_Bob likes this.