1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

u.s.s. liberty - new revelations on 1967 attack by israel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jo mama, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I think I am reacting to the words in your posts. Read post #40 where you talk about how the Liberty is a good reason to withdraw support of Israel.

I'm just reacting to what I am reading.

And you seem to be swinging anti-Semitism as a club to ward off arguments more than anybody else in this thread. You just do it the other way around. If anybody questions your position they are calling you an anti-Semite and so are bigots.

Please show me where I said you hate Israel.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i said "at the least it seems like we should not be giving tens of billions of dollars to israel for their military and we should not be allowing their lobbyists to have so much influence in our government." these facts in and of themselves have nothing to do w/ the liberty. perhaps i should not have pointed them out in the context of the liberty incident b/c some have turned it into the central issue in this thread, when it is not.

as am i.

i made one sarcastic comment on the first page and many people are fixated on it - certain posters (not you) have said people who have questions about the liberty are "anti-israeli trolls" and that they "hate israel". if you want to legitimately question my position fine, but i would argue that your comments regarding my motives for starting this thread are not legit, just like your comments regarding my opposition to open borders are not legit.

please show me where i called anyone a "bigot".

you didnt - but you insinuated that the only reason i am outraged about the liberty is b/c i dont like americas policy towards israel, right? you were alleging that it has nothing to do with the fact that they knowingly attacked an american ship, knowingly killed american sailors while our government recalled fighter jets that could have prevented more deaths and both governments covered it up. rather, your insinuation was that the only reason i started this thread was b/c i dislike america-israeli relations.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you show me where anybody said that? In my re-reading of this thread from the beginning to the end, I think you are the only one who is throwing around the epithets.

You didn't use the exact word but that is how I read this comment:

So then you retract the following sarcasm?

And what I am saying is that I believe that the strength of your opinion is affected by your distaste of the current US-Israel relationship.

#83 Ottomaton, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I'm really confused... how is that taken out of context? You say 'at the least it seems like we should not be ... ; if not based on this thread's topic then based on what? We give plenty of nations billions... you didn't just happen to mention in this thread that at least we shouldn't be giving Egypt billions of aid....

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I have no problem saying that I think the U.S. should cut non need-based foreign aid to Egypt. I really don't think we should be 'buying peace' between them, I think both countries have been at 'peace' long enough now to not go to war with one another any time in the foreseeable future. Moreover, Israel and Egypt are progressively strengthening their bilateral relations on the economic front, and if Hosni Mubarak's son Gamal ends up taking over government when his daddy bites the dust -- almost certainly going to be the case -- then I imagine Israeli-Egyptian relations are in no danger of 'deteriorating' anytime soon. If anything, Gamal has a 'vision' of an economically-integrated Middle East patterned after the EU model, and he envisions Israel to be a major part of that.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Certainly a topic worthy of discussion, but I'm not saying I disagree with Egyptian aid; I'm just emphasizing the point that jo mama didn't just decide to mention Israeli aid out of thin air but because he felt it related to the topic at hand.

The EU market model (including the Palestinians) would be outstanding, imo.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Understood, I just thought I would elaborate on that a little bit. :)

8. jo mama

here you go...

much like how you didnt use the exact words "jo mama hates isreal", but that is how i read your comment. discernment is a two-way street. :)

if it helps us move on, than yes, i retract.

9. jo mama

i didnt say my comments were taken out of context - read what i said again, which is that i shouldnt have brought up the issue in the context of the liberty incident b/c they are not related.

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Which just feeds Ottomaton's point that you have another agenda driving your post.

11. jo mama

if ottomaton wants to continue to believe that my "outrage" over the liberty is a proxy for my dislike over u.s. relations i can only say that isnt the case so many times. it doesnt matter which country did this - israel, canada, zimbabwe or chile. the attack, the governments recall of fighter jets that could have saved american lives and the cover-up on both sides would still be a major issue. if others want to say they know my mind better than i do than i cant really do anything for you but say "have fun with that".

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

You can deny it but when you interjected your opinion about current relations into the thread it makes a pretty convincing point that the two are linked in your head, especially when you later acknowledge there isn't any relevance between the two. Your earlier stream of consciousness rant shows that you do connect the two, so his point seems likely valid.