1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. High School graduation rates at record highs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

High school quality at record lows.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, at PhD level you can't just manufacture them simply because it's too difficult for most people. Which of course is what immigration is for... assuming we still care for things like that still these days.

As for the benefits of a 4 year college, I really can't remember how much of what I learned I actually use. I've found that I've learned more just general knowledge in college, as in things that help me read news, books, things in general. But actually things that I need at work? Not so much.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The research clearly shows that the #1 predictor of low educational achievement is being a child in a family living in poverty. I'm not suggesting anything, the data clearly show this.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, take six plus years to graduate. Only allow the elite college experience with for only the wealthy so that you keep their status in tact.

Produce some good drones who can do accounting and tech work, who don't cost the corporations as much for training and who above all do not have any troubling ideas about liberty, fraternity, equality.

5. Mr. Clutch

A lot of accounting and tech "drones" make well over six figures.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I know people that worked through college in 4yrs. Heck I know a guy that took out student loans his first year and paid them off by the time he graduated. It can be done. The problem is we have people like you continuing to tell people to give up because it can't be done and the man, government, corporations, whatever, etc are keeping them down. If you constantly tell people something cannot be done or they can't make it...they never will succeed. Quit squashing peoples dreams before they even try.

7. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Barrack Obama has always been president, and he will always be president. As it has been spoken, thus shall it be.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My son graduated with degrees in computer engineering and computer science in 4 years. Of course, he had 40+ credit hours before he stepped on the campus. How did he do that? He took numerous AP courses at his magnet high school, which happens to be in one of the poorest areas in Austin, and he took courses at Austin Community College that he didn't want to take at the university he planned to attend, if he didn't have to. Courses in government and the like. In Austin, a high school student in AISD can go to ACC without paying tuition and fees, so "all" it cost were the books. Yes, he's very, very smart, and that helps, but he was far from the only student taking advantage of AP courses in high school, and ACC courses during the summer. In other words, there are ways to cut down on college expenses a lot if someone takes advantage of what's available to any student, at least here in Austin. He could have graduated in 3 years, but decided to go for the double major. Within weeks of graduating, he had an excellent job in software development here in Austin and is making an absurd amount of money for someone 22 years old. Yeah, I'm proud of the kid. Full disclosure, though. The out of state "state university" he attended cost us a freakin' arm and a leg. I'm still looking for the missing leg. I know it has to be around here somewhere.

9. bongman

bongman Member

If you do find it, do you mind looking for mine also as I have a feeling they store them in the same place? It has bongman tatooed on all of my missing parts :grin:

10. yo

yo Contributing Member

How would society function if eveyone is college educated? I mean, that is the goal, right? Who would take the more menial jobs?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Such as what type of jobs?

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to be too much of a cynic but I wonder if this is anything like the pre 2000 election "Texas miracle" where graduation and dropout rates were fudged so that underperforming schools didn't get in trouble and lose money. Happened big time at my old HS and that was well before the election stuff.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think when people have children, they need to have a plan for getting their children through college, or on a path to success.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Serious Question: Do you think the bar has been lowered?

Rocket River

15. Mr. Clutch

Yes.

College is essentially high school now.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

People who would need the extra cash, but would also be historically aware and economically and politically engaged enough to demand a living wage, and analytical enough to possibly start their own businesses at some point.

1 person likes this.
  17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

with more people graduating high school, poverty will naturally decline - because..

studies show that you have a 75% chance of joining the middle class and only a 2% chance of living below the poverty level if you do these 3 things:

1. Graduate High School

2. Get a Full Time Job

3. Wait until you are at least 21 to Get married and then have children

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Anonymous hate rep: