1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyson Chandler has a big mouth....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by countingcrow, Jan 4, 2002.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

......for someone who hasn't shown anything!

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls_story.asp?intID=3726035

Chandler promises to make Wizards pay for draft snub

By Mike McGraw Daily Herald Sports Writer
    Posted on January 04, 2002

Like most in his generation, Bulls rookie Tyson Chandler grew up in awe of Michael Jordan. But Chandler has a slightly different perspective on Jordan than his teammates.

At last June's draft, back when Jordan was still running the team's basketball operations, Washington's choice with the No. 1 pick came down to Chandler or Kwame Brown. As we all know, the Wizards selected Brown. Chandler went to the Clippers with the second pick and was then traded to the Bulls for Elton Brand.

Chandler hasn't forgotten Jordan's decision.

"They're going to remember that," he said. "They will remember that - all of them, the whole staff down there, not just (Jordan)."

Chandler worked out for the Wizards three times before the draft and got to know Jordan in the process. During the second workout, Jordan took Chandler to dinner, along with special guest Randy Moss of the Minnesota Vikings.

"(Moss) and Jordan are pretty tight," Chandler said. "He flew up there to watch me work out and then went home."

Brown has since given a description of the final workout. He said no one from the team picked him up at the airport. Then in the gym, he claimed Wizards personnel were cheering on Chandler and not saying anything to him. Brown felt Jordan was testing his mental toughness and said he responded by dominating Chandler on the court.

"That was all a bunch of bull," Chandler said. "We were treated the same, but that was my third workout for them so I was there early. When we were working out ... there were people there who were rooting for me, because they wanted to see me drafted there. But it was nothing like, 'C'mon Tyson' and not saying anything to Kwame."

So far, the rookie seasons of the top two picks have been similar. Chandler is averaging 3.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in 12.6 minutes. Brown is at 3.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 11.8 minutes.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Tyson first needs to find a way to get on the court for more than 20 minutes per game if he wants some revenge. lol. Unless he plans on clubbing Jordan or something. I hope MJ reads this and lights him and the Bulls up for about 60. :)

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What's he going to do, torch them for a career high 12 points?

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

He only needs 15 to get to 30, 000, but I think he will put up a little more than that.

5. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

So countingcrow---what do you know of Tyson Chandler and why do you say he's shown nothing?

His statline, like that of most rookies from highschool is poor. But ask anyone thats watched him all season and they'll tell you that his presence in the post usually turns a slashing team into a jumpshooting one.

Besides---he's talking about his competition with Brown. He's saying that he'll dominate him and be the better player in the long run. That'll take years to sort out.

Jordan is going to go for 60 tonight. Maybe 70. And thats cool. Cartwright says he just wants to the Bulls to contest every shot and not let Jordan score AND make the other players on his team better.

Who ever wins it, it will be a good one. I can't wait.

6. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

btw---if they had been reasonable in their demands, MJ could have had Brand and possibly been heading towards a finals matchup with LA.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Chandler and Artest and the rest are talking a lot of smack already. I don't worship Jordan but I will be glued to WGN and hoping MJ destroys them. NEVER, NEVER disrespect MJ in the press. In that situation, he always comes out strong.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

gb-From what I heard, it was the other way around. I heard that Jordan offered #1 for Brand, but Krause didn't want to make a deal with Jordan. What are they saying in Chicago?

almost forgot....Griffin makes both of them look like fools.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I might be the only one, but I hope Jordans ass somehow gets shut down by the Bulls.

10. Dm324

Dm324 Member

That mat be so now, but his career high won't be 12 in three or four years

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Wouldn't go quite that far just yet...

Brand-19.5, 11.

I do agree with GB on one thing...If MJ had Brand instead of Kwame right now, the Wizards would be much better, and probably good enough for the Eastern Conference Championship.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Easy there tiger.....

If he is such a defensive presence (if anything, players are afraid to go near him because he and his springs-for-legs fall are flying around dangerously) then why doesn't he play more? Why don't the Bulls win more games by forcing their opponents to shoot all jumpers? Why isn't he in as a defensive force in waning moments of close games (have the Bulls had any of those)?

Yeah, the kid has crazy hops, but he isn't close to harnessing it and controlling it. He is a FAR FAR cry from changing a "slashing team into a jumpshooting one."

I HAVE watched the kid a lot this season.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Is that on offense or defense? :D

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

vj-"both of them" refers to Kwame and Chandler.

It'll be a couple of years before Griffin makes Brand look bad. ;)

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Didn't they say the same thing about Harold Miner?

16. Houstone

Houstone Member

Who's watching the game on WGN tonight?

How many points will MJ get on da bulls?

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm watching it and Artest is about to break down and cry as MJ schools him. Tyson Chandler is once again riding the pines in foul trouble and not having a clue as to what's going on on the court. That's showin' 'em Tyson...

The Wizzers up 20 at halftime. Great game so far, GB. :)

18. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Game is going as I expected---these are not my Bulls folks. They're playing tight and they're playing scared. :(

MJ wanted Brand, Crawford and Voskuhl for the number 1. Some say he was willing to throw in Rip, most do not.

Jordans going for 60...

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I don't think it is a stretch to say that Krause could have turned the Washington #1 pick and their own pick into:

<b>Any two listed below</b>
    Battier
    Gasol
    EG

<i>
    plus
    </i>
    a late round PG such as Parker or Tinsley.

Maybe Chandler and Curry will be studs in the future..........for a different Chicago GM.

Mango

20. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Chandler really showed him ;). Scoring 4 points in 12 minutes. Wow!;)