1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Bey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Aug 25, 2021.

?

Will he make the opening day roster?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2021.
  1. Yes

12.8%
  2. No

87.2%
  1. fattz

fattz Member

Rockets Sign Tyler Bey
    Trevor Patin
    Aug 25, 2021 11:11 AM ET

– The Houston Rockets today announced they have signed free agent Tyler Bey.

Bey (6-7, 216) was the 36th overall pick by Philadelphia in the 2020 NBA Draft before his rights were acquired by Dallas. He appeared in 18 games for the Mavericks as a two-way player last season and was also assigned to the G League. In a total of 13 G League games for Long Island and Salt Lake City, Bey averaged 15.1 points and 9.2 rebounds while shooting 49.3% from the floor.

Over his final two seasons at Colorado from 2018-19 through 2019-20, Bey was one of six Division I players with 50-plus games played to have averaged at least 13.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.00 spg, and 1.00 bpg. He was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year as a junior.

His scouting report on nbadraft.net:
    NBA Comparison: Luc Richard Mbah Moute/Andre Roberson
    Strengths:Explosive and versatile combo forward … Two-way player who shows ability to play the 3 or small ball 4 position … Has the foot speed to defend the perimeter as well as the athleticism to rebound and play in the paint, giving him great versatility … Excels on both ends of the court either inside or outside … Tends to play much bigger than his 6’7 size with his long arms (7’1 wingspan) and great leaping ability … Monster rebounder for his size as well being long and having explosive athleticism … Not afraid to absorb contact attacking the rim … Efficient scorer, shooting over 53 percent from the floor over the last two seasons … Can score from the paint either backing down defenders or facing up … High effort defender often blocking shots … Plays with determination every night … Often has a high impact on games even if not the leading scorer on his team … Moves very well without the basketball … Shooting form that can be built upon and developed further at the next level … Versatile defender able to guard quick perimeter players … Nearly doubled his shooting percentage from beyond the arc from 2019 to 2020 … Has a reputation for being a hard worker …

Weaknesses:Lacks bulk to fight inside for rebounds at the NBA level … Weighed in a just 212 lbs, so it’s obvious that he has work to do in the weight room … Does not show great vision or passing ability … Passing needs work … Needs to develop a more fluid looking jumper and improve overall as an outside shooter, consistency and range … Playmaking and finding teammates is not his strength … Not really a prolfic scorer, struggled to put up points consistently and dominate from a scoring aspect … Needs to work on ball handling and playmaking on offense with the basketball in order to really be a 3 … Needs to get better at shooting free throws to be more efficient …

Notes:Measured: 6’6.00” barefoot, 6’7.00” in shoes, 8’9.50” standing reach, 212.8 lbs, and 7’1.25 wingspan at the 2020 NBA Commbine … Las Vegas native … Reminds of a bigger Andre Roberson … Showed improvement each year at Colorado, stats from 2019 are about the same with 2020, except Bey nearly doubled his three point shooting percentage which is huge … grew up in Las Vegas, Nevada … Has been compared to two way NBA players such as Andre Roberson and Shawn Marion …

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  2. Salvy

Salvy Member

3. Jalen Green OnlyFan

4. Nook

Nook Member

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Compared to Shawn (The Matrix) Marion?!? o_O

…….
    …….
    …….

6. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

So our current lineup is:

John Wall
    KPj
    Jalen Green
    Jae'sean Tate
    Christian Wood
    DJ Augustine
    Eric Gordon
    David Nawaba
    KJ Martin
    Daniel Theis
    Khyri Thomas
    Usman Garuba
    Josh Christopher
    Alperen Sengun
    Matt Hurt (TW)
    Armoni Brooks (likely)

Thats 16 guys.

I would LOVE for Bey to end up on the opening roster. However baring a trade that opens up TWO slots (for Brooks and Bey) then it seems like he'll stick in the g league a while.

He could outplay Hurt and be signed to a two way.. thats the most likely scenario we see him on the opening night "roster"

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bey should be on a 2 way contract. He really needs to improve his jumper.

D-rock, BamBam, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Idk

scouting report seems to be off tho .

maybe he was 216 before Last draft . He looks pretty big next to green .

and even tho he looks like he’s packed on size , he is in no way a bigger Roberson . Roberson was also legit 6’7” and 240

Haven’t seen him play at all

good enough physical profile that I’m intrigued

D-rock and fattz like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

10. fattz

fattz Member

In Stone we trust. If Bey is what he’s scouted to be, we may have something here. This maybe Tate 2.0.

DeBeards and raining threes like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Should bring in Harry Giles too.

I've seen enough of Lamb.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm not seeing it. He barely looks like a G league player

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was thinking Lamb was on a two way but its just a cap hold for the time being.

Brooks was extended a two way but hasn't accepted

Matt Hurt is on a two way as well.

Teams can only give out two of them.

I'm thinking they have some kinda wink wink deal with Brooks that they give him an NBA contract after they clear a roster spot. Maybe they move one of EG , Augustin or House tho that seems unlikely if they are talking extension with him - There's also the potential to cut Khyri Thomas who's contract isn't guaranteed - don't see that as likely tho , he's easily moved to a team needing guard help at the deadline for an asset.

I can't see them clearing two roster spots .... thus no roster spot for Bey , maybe a two way if they don't extend their second one to Lamb who's on a two way cap hold at the moment.

14. 18pbr

18pbr Member

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

At first I was like “nah”… but you’re kind of right.

knocking down the open three seemed to be just ok for him though. Absolutely has to get better there.

I wonder if he tries to do too much? From his weaknesses that seems to be a problem of his at times. Just be that super role player in the nba buddy. Then slowly improve.

he definitely seems nba capable. And of course there being a rookie under Carlisle which isn’t pretty.

that said… The Mavs choose to keep Nate Hinton and release Bey. Hinton went on to have. Avery solid summer league this year while Bey was picked up by the Bulls and sucked. Like not good. Couldn’t even hit a three.

ultimately I don’t see the point here.

18pbr likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Bey has much better upside than Lamb, if that is what it comes down too. I think AB is going to be signed to a minimum contract eventually by us or some other team, not a 2-way. I think they want to give Hurt some time at RGV to see if he can be a Ryan Anderson type offensive player at a fraction of the cost.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I watched this and felt like we were watching completely different videos. The differences in the way KJ and Tyler dunk alone was crazy. When KJ dunks he is UP THERE. Often his head is literally in line with the rim. We see the same thing when he blocks shots. He has an insane vertical and he uses it to just get so high in the air that it doesn't matter if a guy is 7'2. And it doesn't matter that KJ has limited length with a wingspan of 6'7.

Tyler Bey, on the other hand, barely leaves the ground even when he dunks. His head is always like 12 inches below the rim. Bey has a wingspan of 7'1 and he uses that monstrous length to dunk, not his vertical. And the same when he is blocking shots. If the result is the same, I actually prefer this because it takes less energy and is likely more sustainable throughout a game in which a player plays heavy minutes.

I suppose the things they are capable of doing are similar, but the way in which they do them appear very different to me. I just don't think Bey is anywhere near the athlete that KJ is. But he has some interesting tools for sure.

DeBeards, D-rock and 18pbr like this.
  19. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

wait so he plays good defense and shot 3 well in college. only his second year.. what's the knock on him again?

D-rock likes this.
  20. fattz

fattz Member

Sadly looks like he didn’t make it.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.