1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Year Budget Deal, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Feb 7, 2018.

?

Approve of the budget deal?

1. 4 - really approve

2. 3 - it's okay

3. 2 - not okay

4. 1 - Hate it!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This seems like an Oprah deal where everyone gets something. Rolls back sequestration so that there's actual funding. Pee Partiers are crying about it, but they'd cry about any budget bill that doesn't involve sitting other people's throats while pretending to hold their breaths and shutting down the government.

Libs just talked about raising the debt with cuts. This will likely raise our debt but we'll have better things to sell and pawn off such as fixed up roads and infrastructure. Options you wouldn't have if you lived in a shithole.

Positive note is that both parties actually passed something substantial.*

summary: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/us/politics/budget-deal-trump.html

*I jinxed it. ****

#1 Invisible Fan, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's probably a good thing. I think it uses whatever powder Democrats have left, but the recurring budget crisis is really dysfunctional so I'm pretty good with fixing that.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I become more and more convinced I'll see the end of the US as the major power in the world. Lets all have our cake and eat it too.

Doing away with the constant budget crisis is great, but to do so we end up just spending like we don't give a damn.

ipaman likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

There definitely needs to be another shoe to drop. We can't reduce taxes and increase spending and think everything is fine. But, I'm fully expecting Republicans will come back later with massive budget cuts to everything except military to match our spending to our lower revenues.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Government by Crisis is over over for the next two years.

I know the House Dems wanted DACA (plus Dreamers), but the House Repubs will not vote on anything immigration related while they control the House.

6. JuanValdez

I don't think that's true. Republicans have been stalling a liberal immigration agenda for a long time so they'd be able to fix it the Republican way when they have power. They have it now, and probably should use it before potentially losing control of the House in 2018. If they want stronger enforcement, curtailed legal immigration, a shift toward merit, and a stupid wall they'll need to pass something. And DACA is the carrot they have to try to buy some Dem cooperation. If they grant relief to 2 million dreamers but manage to remove 10 million, they'll call it a win. So, I think they'll deal. They just need to undermine whatever leverage Democrats have before they sit at the negotiating table. The budget impasse was the Dems' biggest lever.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So we are cutting taxes and increasing spending. Again why do that during a boom period? You should do that during a bust period to stimulate the economy.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting photograph. Shows that once all the partisan stuff gets put aside, they are adults, co-workers, Americans...

9. dmoneybangbang

I worry more and more about a generational war between the boomers vs millennials.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

One is walking with his down like a beaten dog

Rocket River

Astrodome likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Boomers better hope robots will pick up their **** and diapers

12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Ok. So how are they going to Blame the democrats for this?

15. Invisible Fan

Hillary Soros and their leaked Russian papers.

Comrades Unite!

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They never need common sense on Fox and Friends. Just you watch.

"Hold my beer," the producers are telling you, even now. LOL.

17. NewRoxFan

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Belive they will somehow someway they will make sure that the Dems get the blame for the brief shutdown.

19. JuanValdez

I understand the Republican aversion to domestic spending. What I have not understood is the feeling among Republicans that we need to spend more on the military. I know the liberal strawmen, but what's the reasoned argument?

20. Purvis's shorts

The party of fiscal responsibility is in charge. How dare you question their tactics!