1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(TV) Vikings !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Apr 8, 2013.

1. bigben69

bigben69 Member

all hail ragnar

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You say "Ragnar" and my mind goes to Ernie Borgnine.

Here's the final scene from the 1958 movie which mightily impressed this 5YO...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LClTjcyNJSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I looked for another thread and did not see one, so thought I would start one....

And the show is not a documentary, it is a straight up action adventure drama.

A great show, you can watch the first 4 episodes on the History channel Ipad app if you missed it, probably their website too - it is awesome.

DD

4. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

I like this show!!!! Mel Gibson was suppose to make a Viking movie with Dicaprio but it was scrapped when he went all nuts.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Bumping this thread. This show is really really really enjoyable. It's getting better, too. The guy who plays Ragnar is doing a great job. The whole show is pretty well acted. I like Floki, too. Nice mix of violence, too.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm liking this show, too. The guy playing Ragnar has such a smug, arrogant smirk that is perfect for the character. His wife is hot, too. Floki creeps me out.

It's kinda conflicting watching this show. On one hand, we are conditioned to root for the protagonist. On the other hand, the Vikings are a bunch of pillaging and raping savages. The action and the drama is good, though.

I'm really liking History's scripted shows. Hatfield and McCoys was a good miniseries. I'm glad they got away from their endless documentaries.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That dude must be a Vikings fan !

see what I did there

That said, when DaDakota says he likes a show, then I'm on it! It all started with him being the first one I remember saying

F i r e f l y

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Still about a month away, but if you were a fan of this show, Season 2 starts soon!

If you haven't seen this show yet, I think you can watch all the episodes on the history channel website. Took them a couple of episodes to get me fully hooked, but then I was really hooked. In a number of ways, I found it better than Season 3 of Game of Thrones - which was playing concurrently.

Season 2 trailer
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-KHVr_Eg8qA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I enjoyed the show but the way they depicted Uppsala is pretty terrible. My wife's family lives about 30 minutes from Uppsala and it looks NOTHING like what they showed. There are zero mountains around.

While I guess what they showed was more dramatic, it isn't like Gamla Uppsala is a terrible place.

10. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

Bump. splurged on the first two seasons over 48 hours. what a great show. Can't wait for season 3. Princess Aslaug is kind of a weak character IMO.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Have you ever read Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom? It's the first in a truly amazing series of historical fiction that takes place in the same era. If you like this show and enjoy a good read, you'll love it.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just 3 more weeks.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

When did the new season start.

14. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

It will start, Feb 19 at 10/9c on the History channel.

15. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

One more day! With this and House of Cards next week, finally some shows to watch again.

16. thejav

thejav Member

Just caught up to season 3..great show.. Has been holding me over until game of thrones starts. All hail KING RAGNAR!!

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Floki goes bananas

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Watched the first half of S1, but I became disinterested.

Kathryn Winnick, though. Goodness, that woman is attractive.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

First time I tried the show, I gave up after the first two episodes. It kicks into gear late in season 1. The first half of season 1 lays a somewhat boring foundation that it launches from.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

All hail King Ragnar.

Waited for the season to end before binging. I'm quite surprised this season had such good reviews. I probably liked season 2 better. There was too much religion and weird visions in this season that made things really weird, and kinda didn't mesh together well.

Too disjointed, too, with so many subplots. Wessex, Paris, the babysitter's club with the "You gonna get raped" guy. None of them were really wrapped up except for Paris, which didn't need to be added on with them still trying to establish Wessex.

This season was alright. I had a feeling Ragnar was playing the French by Trojan horsing them. It wasn't as great a chess move as usurping King Horik from season 2, though.