1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[TV] The Rookie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by omgTHEpotential, Oct 24, 2018.

1. omgTHEpotential

I'm in the middle of the first episode and it seems like this show has promise.

2. what

what Member

I've been watching it, but normally my taste is usually not the boards, to say the least. I think this show is more like Nashville or Empire than NCIS: Los Angeles.
    It's not really a solve a murder in 60 minutes show, but more about the politics of being a cop, and the ends and outs of it. It should be pretty good for a while.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How does it compare to Castle? I like Nathan Fillon but don't know if I could handle him in another police show.

I stopped watching Castle when it was ruined after he and Beckett crossed the line. Just didn't work for me. In fact, the whole eccentric/unique guy + woman cop sidekick formula is stale.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's not like Castle at all. Castle focused on the leading duo, with Espo/Ryan/Lainie as complete side characters.

Through the first two episodes of The Rookie, I'm more invested in the other 2 rookies and their TOs, than I am in Fillion's character and his TO. To me, it's almost like Fillion's character is just one of the ensemble, instead of being the actual focused person.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  5. what

what Member

In my opinion this show isn't going to last. It's actually like Pitch. It's very similar to that show. In fact it is exactly like that show. Except instead of sports it is cops.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

All the scenes from every commercial zero in on Fillon. I'll take a pass for now.

Please post your thoughts again after 6-7 episodes.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Zeroing in on Fillion is strictly for marketing services. People on ABC are used to him, so him as the foundation for eyeballs to the show, is a good idea. Also, from the get-go, he has the most character descriptions (40 year old trying to acclimate to a new job) vs all the newbies on the team.

From your earlier post, it doesn't seem like your problem is with Fillion dominating the show - it's with Fillion getting the most to do, while Katic was the straight-cop. And that hasn't been the case at all, after the first two episodes. But yeah, I'll definitely revisit this thread in about a month.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  8. omgTHEpotential

@A_3PO just checked the third episode. Fillion was basically a side-character for the majority of the episode. They mostly focused on one of the other rookie's training officer who got shot and whose wife is a junkie. They're doing this show the right way, so far. Developing multiple characters simultaneosly. It's not ground-breaking television, but definitely a decent show.

A_3PO likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like Fillion
    Was not huge on Castle but it was not bad

Rocket River