1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Mr Robot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No dude, everyone else is real except Mr. Robot. I'm not sure about the people following him either, but maybe on them.

2. tomato

tomato Member

All it took for the backlash was for the show to do the thing it was obviously going to do from the start. Come on, are you guys 1's or 0's (episode 2 embarrassing dialog reference)? If fsociety are all parts of his own mind, it'd end up a bit of a Julian Assange reference, at least as seen in The Fifth Estate.

I think the popcorn started getting made when Elliot turned the power on. Wasn't the "Evil Corp" search-and-replace thing mentioned early on? Everyone says Evil because it's Elliot's perspective, to one degree or another.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You're done watching because the multiple personalities thing is too unoriginal? I guess it's just sports for you then.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Every episode you feel this show has potential then its taken away by some clever bs spin they are trying to pull.

I like the idea of his dad not existing, but i won't be surprised if they claim everything is not real yada yada.

What makes it worse is people comparing it to BB :rolleyes:
    Camera work is mostly a joke with ridiculous close ups and many characters i don't care for/Rant

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Oh yeah! There is. Chekhov's popcorn gun is going to be the main character of the next episode. Good call heypartner.

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Wait til Rox11 finds out most of the players on the Cavs and the coach are all just various personalities of LeBron.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tyrell asks Who all is involved
    Elliot with a look of glee and wonder and discovery says . .. . just me.

I did not get the feeling that Elliot was being evasive or protective
    I got the feeling that he just discovered that all of them are him.

just a feeling . .. I could be wrong.

Rocket River

8. VanityHalfBlack

elliot bout to kill tyrell. just you watch!

9. VanityHalfBlack

song go hard!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ts7FQaVULRs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I think Tyrell foils the plan to get back in the good graces of evil corp thus sending Elliott and crew on the run in season 2.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes but technically "Elliott" doesn't know the gun is in the popcorn machine. Darlene put it there. Now, it's possible that "Mr. Robot" would have found it by now considering that he is always eating the popcorn.

I think the next episode will start with Mr. Robot appearing at the arcade to confront Tyrell. It seems Elliot created him to do the dirty work.

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Comcast xfinity is completely ruining the series for me. Stupid box won't pick up where I left off. No fast forward option and now you start over from the dam beginning every time:mad:

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If you have Comcast then you can watch this season for free on demand. Just found that out yesterday.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

YES!! I DETEST THAT!!
    I think you can if you use a recording but not the On Demand

Rocket River

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

A+ music, style, acting, art. Story has big problems IMO

It is window dressing on an avatar everyone in the thread knew from the first episode was a delusion. Yeah sure you knew the shady super hacker guy was not real but did you know he was in fact the incredibly minor character mentioned in passing to give the main two characters motivation to hate Evil Corp? So what?

Motivation and character story STILL completely unclear beside that he wants to please his wife. Speaking of his wife her motivation is completely unknown and changes on a whim. Endanger baby to temporarily and futilely save husband. Hours later tell husband to get lost.

Which boils down to lazy writing.

1. Delivering hdd's :I don't like you. Do me a solid. I know we are similar levels and by all indications, the boss likes me much more, so order me to be a courier
    2. Doesn't show up to work for weeks?
    3. When he does show up no indication time was missed, but boss is now completely against him after we haven't seen his boss for LONG stretches of time. Find the excuses but the reason is they got into other story lines, needed time to pass in them and had nothing for the boss or the company to do during that time. So therefore time stood still there without Elliot.
    4. Socially awkward psycho makes lifelong friends and has meaningful relationship with neighbor how? Because he needs to for the plot.

Besides the problem with the script there have already been pages on the works it is emulating. House of cards narration without charismatic actor. Sopranos dream sequences without the brevity. Surreal world to explore a hard reality of a programmer exploiting networks. A twist that was a twist for no one in this thread.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah same here and I have direcTV. I don't understand why we can't fast forward or little to no commercials? Ondemand is useless.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

^^

Yeah, we all knew that Mr. Robot was Elliott's dad. I'm sure that's not the only reveal. White Rose is probably also imaginary.

Tyrell and his wife's motivation and backstory will eventually be revealed. Tyrell knew about Elliot before the pilot and presumably he will use Elliot to gain power when the world's debt is erased.

The USB in the parking lot was certainly not lazy writing. It's the same basic concept as the mix CD hack that is used in the show. She was shown dropping lots of the USBs with the hope that someone would pick one up and be stupid enough to plug it in. People inevitably grab USBs that are dropped in public and check them to see if there is any identifying information on them or to wipe them. It's a thing.

I don't think Elliot was out from work for weeks. The boss, Gideon, is upset with him because he suspects that Elliot is behind the hacks.

Which neighbor are you talking about? Angela? They are friends because they lost parents due to E-Corp. There is probably more to their background. Maybe their parents were having an affair. I don't know.

Yeah the show has a number of obvious influences: Fight Club, American Psycho, the Matrix, etc. I don't see that as a negative. The creator and actors have mentioned that this season is supposed to be all back story. The twist was not a twist for anyone paying attention but it wasn't supposed to be.

There are plenty of actual issues to explore in the show. You can't argue that certain plot developments are obvious and then complain about ambiguity in other characters. The show may still need to prove it can explore these other issues interestingly, but I'm entertained. It's a popular show largely because it encourages speculation.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

By which time we will have forgotten all of the crazy things he has done that don't fit with the motivations assigned to him.

Super long stretch where nothing happens at all space despite insane events. Gideon isn't even in the episodes. The plot has nothing for him or the company to do so they just freeze it. Months pass. Big events.

Shayla. No way he gets a close connection with her, not realistic with Angela but I accept that because TV show. He flat out tells his boss he doesn't GAF, I doubt some drugs he has plenty of cash to buy is enough to let a person in his personal space. Small annoyance at best though. You need characters.

I don't care about obvious plot developments, just feel they are not as important as some do. I complain about lack of motivation because like Rocket River said we know nothing about Tyrell. Relationship with wife constantly changes. Without motivation the characters can be chameleons to serve the plot and then all explained later that it was so we would be thrown off to their REAL motivations.

I like the show because of music, style, acting (although Elliots ticks and mannerisms have died off big time from the beginning) and world building. Story needs work, hope they have a good one to give in season 2 after setting everything up this season.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

These are the Members of FSociety

http://mrrobot.wikia.com/wiki/Fsociety

Mr. Robot (Christian Slater): The group's leader, who is determined to draw Elliot into fsociety's activities. Mr. Robot is determined to bring down the world corporate structure, adopting a disguise much like the Monopoly Man when filming his video manifestos. He serves as a somewhat paternal figure to Elliot at times, refusing to leave him when he goes through withdrawal, and pushing Elliot beyond his normal boundaries.

Darlene (Carly Chaikin): An expert coder with few boundaries and little fear. She has little respect for others' privacy, including Elliot's, and generally says what she thinks. She has been involved with Cisco, a hacker associated with rival hacker group the Dark Army.

Romero (Ron Cephas Jones): The oldest of the group, very experienced and world wise. He helps Mr. Robot detox Elliot.

Mobley (Azhar Khan): A young male hacker of unknown origin.

Trenton (Sunita Mani): A young, quiet female hacker. Trenton was born to Iranian immigrant parents, and wears a hijab.
    ----

Mr. Robot - NOT REAL
    Darlene - Elliot's Sister
    Romero - Unsure - Leaning toward real
    Mobley - Unsure - Leaning toward real
    Trenton - Well she did have a conversation with Darlene

Question: Why would any of them work with Elliot?
    1. They KNOW HE CRAZY
    2. Do they suspect his multiple personalities?
    3. He has something on them? Threatening them?

The Show has alot of questions and plays coy with answers
    It can be fun for a while . . .like a riddle .. . . after a why it becomes ***** you and your Riddle.

Rocket River

20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Tonight's finale is now postponed to next week:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia.</p>&mdash; Mr. Robot (@whoismrrobot) <a href="https://twitter.com/whoismrrobot/status/636643429343227905">August 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode.</p>&mdash; Mr. Robot (@whoismrrobot) <a href="https://twitter.com/whoismrrobot/status/636643479649710080">August 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time.</p>&mdash; Mr. Robot (@whoismrrobot) <a href="https://twitter.com/whoismrrobot/status/636643547857481728">August 26, 2015</a></blockquote>