1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Mr Robot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. VanityHalfBlack

It seems that the creators love the movies Fight Club and Memento. That's cool.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Don't forget American Psycho.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Been years since I've seen that movie. That's the one with Bale right? He plays like a charismatic suit and tie guy but then kills his co-workers? I remember Mila Kunas being in it, did she die?

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Cool, but they better have a original spin on it. The biggest clues to the dad not being alive is-
    He hasn't aged
    He mysteriously arrived out of nowhere on his staircase when the gangsters were at his apartment.
    He mysteriously arrived out of nowhere the moment Eliot finds the pics of him on the computer.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah it's definitely pointing towards being just an imagination. Then again, the meeting with Tyrell kinda derailed that theory. I remember Elliot refusing his offer in an earlier episodes if I recall.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's the one, I didn't know Kunis was in it. It's been awhile since I've watched it as well. (spoiler alert, the whole movie was in his head...so no she didn't)

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Mila Kunis was in the sequel. Never saw it though.

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The most obvious situation that helps this theory, at least to me, is when Elliot and his dad were at a bar. The bartender looked like he was only making eye contact and acknowledging Elliot even though his dad was doing the talking. I don't remember which episode it was. Maybe the first or second

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I finally caught up last night. All along I really wished it didn't get into Fight Club territory. I think it's become a bit of a crutch to do this kind of thing.

But how they did the reveal and showing how he copes (or not) makes it seem like they will have an interesting take on it. Rather than just how it affects circumstances, but how he deals with it mentally and emotionally.

I'm really looking forward to how this season ends. With my fandom for cyberpunk movies & books, I this is the perfect series for me (even though they took a shot at Hackers).

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At this point . .. I think the dad is real
    and is even crazier than Eliot
    his maddness is anger to the point of obsession
    to the point where he distanced himself from his two kids
    Made them a part of his maddness

I hope so at least . ..

Rocket River

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I am curious if the dad is not real, then did Elliot just jump off of the pier in episode 2?

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If his dad isn't, I might be done with the show.

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I found my attention drifting during the last episode. About halfway through it, I finally turned it off. I am just not interested in keeping up with the show anymore. The whole Fight Club angle has really turned me off.

I am going to let the show run its course and then, if the reviews are still solid, watch it after the show has concluded.

14. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Might as well finish the episode. It has some other info towards the end that is interesting.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The 3 main characters on this show are all certified crazies, each in the own different way. I can't remember watching anything quite like this.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Jacob's Ladder? Jacob's Ladder has the drug-induced hallucinations as well as the psychological issues that the other two don't.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Seems that Elliot and Tyrell are the only main 3 that might be real. Mr Robot (Slater) is not for certain. The sister puts everything regarding fsociety into question.

But then who framed Colby. Seems Tyrell had the motive and ability to do it, and Elliot might just be fabricating his role in his head. For instance, that scene with the table full of lawyers and Tyrell to proposition Elliot probably wasn't real. When framing Colby failed to lead to Tyrell's promotion, he loses it???

If we are to apply Fight Club to this, maybe (as I think others said), whenever people refer to E Corp as Evil Corp, that might mean the scene is in Elliot's mind.

Also note, the whole trip to upper NY to plant the Raspberry Pi, coincided with Elliot doing too much morphine, so could understandably be a delusion.

All that said, the prison break-out and murder of the gf/neighbor/supplier is a tangent that I'm having trouble fitting into the delusions. Did the neighbor just leave? Assuming the murder was a figment of his mind?

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

And there you have it...

Elliot is Mr. Robot. It's what we all expected in the beginning, but I think the show handled it in a very strong way. I'm probably just gullible, but it kept me guessing until the end.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If I wanted to be able to predict the ending, I would watch Dora the Explorer.

20. VanityHalfBlack

Damn Elliot pussied out and had to tell tyrell everything. Good for tyrell I guess.