1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Expanse Season 4

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Jul 23, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I watched an interview somewhere and they said there was going to be a time jump in season 6. I love Time Jumps.

Im still on season 4 episodes, sad to here the pacing is still the same in the new season.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm waiting for Season 5 to finish it's run and then I'll binge.

clos4life and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a slow moving trainwreck but the first three worked for me

DreamShook likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

ha. She is definitely my least favorite character by far. Amos is clearly the best ;)

this is one of my favorite shows ever. I think the pacing is deliberate and makes sense. I think the fact there is some mystical nature to it but it’s not aliens alll over the place makes sense and makes it more realistic.

the CGI is perhaps the best “realistic” sci-fi looking cgi I’ve ever seen.

heck I sit and watch the entire intro credit scene every time cause it’s so good (instead of skipping like usual ... try watching it high as a kite lol).

amazing show and series.

Andre0087, Commodore and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Am I crazy to think that this series is going to pass Game of Thrones in terms of overall writing quality? It's never going to pass in terms of popularity unfortunately.

This show has some of the deepest writing in tv. Marcos Inaros is one of the most well written villains in a series and they ****ing knocked him out of the park casting wise. That dude just charisma incarnate. You can feel why so many Belters want to blindly fools him. It makes him that much more dangerous.

The thing with the Example is that it's doing a reverse GoT. Game of Thrones had some of the best writing of any series for the first 4 seasons. It leaked at season 5/4 and slowly went downhill until it fell off a cliff at season 7 and 8 where it turned into a generic tropey fantasy series.

The Expanse is increasing in quality as seasons progress. It helps that the Expanse will still have book mateiral while GoT ended it's book material by season 5 where it then relied on the shitty writing abilities of D&D. The Expanse is sustaining its quality which is very hard to do for a show that has 4+ seasons. Only few shows like Breaking Bad pull it off.

6. Invisible Fan

I still think this show is like the Wire in space. It didn't really pick up with mainstream ratings while it was out, networks didn't know how to market it and there aren't many tentpole swashbuckling heroes you normally get for"action" sci fi. Avasalara is the closest you get for the badass mold. I love Amos but he isn't the hero you're looking for.

Every season is a gamble. You don't know how it'll pan out because there aren't many instant gratification moments if you're not vested in the characters. You keep watching because of the trust the show built up before.

I've heard the GoT comparisons but there aren't any symbolic Stan characters to rally behind, no dragons pay attention to, no blatant sexposition scenes to get your cosplay groove.

Just mostly normal people figuring out a shitty world in their perfectly normal means and being forced to evolve in it.

I can see how hard it'd be to commit to a show like that when the genre normally represents escapism.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Disagree, he hasn't had much development at all.

Never good when you need a long monologue to explain his motivations.

8. fchowd0311

Why? In this context it makes perfect sense. That's how dogmatic leaders spread their message. It was wonderfully done and the actor has a lot of charisma.

His character isn't meant for a development arc.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree with a lot of this. Yes it isn't about swashbuckling even though there is a big story arc it doesn't have the same operatic feel of something like Star Wars or the gee whiz wonder of Star Trek.

GOT for all of it's humanity is ultimately a fantasy romance with knights, queens and dragons. The Expanse is really about ordinary people dealing with something that they don't really understand. I've always felt the Expanse was strongest projecting how human political tribalism is a constant so rather than the Roddenberry future of united humanity boldly going out into the universe it's humanity continuing to find ways to divide itself into tribes coming to terms with a hostile and inhuman universe.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Really? I think she is actually good looking and has a nice accent. Now, her character is not that interesting or likable, but unlikable looks/accent? That seems extreme in a show that feature Holden and Alex.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

You're know you're working with something different when gravity isn't magically solved away and becomes a life or death condition ranging from torturing with it for people who were born outside earth or dying from an internal scratch.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes, other than the protomolecule The Expanse is the most scientifically plausible. Just showing the ships coming towards a planet or base drive first is a major acknowledgment towards how physics actually works. Even “hard science” movies like Intersteller or 2001 didnt acknowledge that a ship travelling at interplanetary speeds would have to slow down when it got to its destination.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Yup. Life is so much more simple in other sci-fi universes where a human can live their entire lives in a 0 G environment and have no issues landing on a exoplanet and exploring it.

Like it was a big deal for Niaomi just to step foot on a new exoplanet. It was a life changing experience and a life threatening one also.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

The only aspect of the show that I find not plausible is the existence and prevelance of Belters. I just feel like if we do go the route of interplanetary mining operations, most of it is going to be automated making the "Belter people" a much smaller faction rather than a faction large enough to create a whole entire new ethnicity and nation

15. fchowd0311

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

No doubt there's a lot of automation used in the universe of The Expanse and you see in the first episode robots being used with the ice mining operations along with work drones during the construction of the Navoo. There still is something to be said for having a human just to clear a jam on some equipment. Also The Expanse takes place 300 years from now. Consider how much larger humanity is now from 300 years ago. Consider how much cultures have changed in those years.

One thing I could see is that Belters don't end up as a major oppressed minority but as either something like Emiratis where they are few in number but have capitalized on the wealth of resources in the outer solar system. The harshness of the region keeps their numbers few and instead they have relied primarily on developing robotics but have settled in the Belt.

For the Expanse the Belters are basically made up of people who's ancestors came to the outer solar system as prospectors and with advances in transportation there were enough of them so only a few that struck it rich exploited most who didn't. It also seems like most who got rich in the belt didn't stick around and instead moved back to Earth or Mars and just ran things through corporations. This is stated several times in the first season of the Expanse that the wealth of the Belt is going to the Inners. The Belt could be like Haiti where it was colonized and a few struck it rich but then left leaving an exploited population that continues to be exploited.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

18. Invisible Fan

Last 3 eps could have been condensed to 90 mins. Their gamble into personal dramatic effect not that great after they perfectly laid out big big stakes in the first three episodes.

They need more pacing control. Not sure if it was a budget decision...

Rocket River likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I watched episode 8 last night. Was that the end of Season 5 and they are going to pick up with season 6 or are there more season 5 episodes coming?

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member