1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's USA officially declares to be no longer a nation of immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will repeat that I do. I see him as a very young man with very limited life experience who watches a ton if Sean Hannity and the like.

He's too blunt of an instrument to be effective as a propaganda tool.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have had a lot of great Viet friends in my life. This is one of the grossest things I have seen from this administration yet. Karma if it exists is coming for some of these as^holes.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

There has to be a large population of folks legit wondering if this country is even worth it at this point.

4. bongman

bongman Member

and mah dawg!

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

except I later presented statistic data to prove my point.

Not my fault that facts make you uncomfortable.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Where else would you go that is better? Europe? Not really. Japan? Doubtful. Maybe Aussies and New Zealand at this point.

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

So a poll showing that the majority of Hispanics don't share the same views as you do on how a government should function means that they don't have "American values"? You might actually be even more racist than I initially thought.

BTW, we'll revisit your "American values" once the full evidence comes out that your Dear Leader is nothing but a bought and paid for entity of the Russian government.

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You clearly don't know what was this country founded on.

9. IVFL

IVFL Member

I really don't want to know why you think it was founded on. . . . . . . .

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

1st Amendment
    The government can't arrest you for speech and religious practice.

2nd Amendment
    Right to bear arm.

3rd Amendment
    The government cannot force you to house soldiers in/on your property

4th Amendment
    The government can't conduct unlawful searches and seizures

I can go on and one but you see the trend

11. MystikArkitect

Germany and Singapore come to mind.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you at least try to pretend you're not a racist?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Being white apparently.

peleincubus and vlaurelio like this.
  14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't think it has to do with the color of their skin. Foreigners in general vote for Dems though, which is why they love them. I don't use the word racist unless something actually is, and I can definitely condemn what you said as truly racist.

Deckard likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

My best friend is Vietnamese and voted for Trump. Mostly because he loves his guns and hates illegal immigrants. I wish he knew under Trump's immigration policies his unskilled Vietnam Refugee parents never would have been let into this country.

Deckard likes this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

One thing I noticed, having lived out of the states, is that other cultures vary from us. You should spend some time abroad if you don't already know that Americans do value different things at different levels. Here is a quick look at some of the key cultural values that Americans value. I took this from a refugee help site.

https://therefugeecenter.org/resources/american-values/

What are American values?

Understand American values and learn about what is important to Americans.
    [​IMG]

Independence

Privacy

Directness

Equality

Informality

Competition

Time and Efficiency

Work Ethic

Consumerism

All of the above statements are generalizations of American values. Generalizations are not always true, but things that are often true. The goal of the RCO is to provide generalizations to help you better understand why an American may be acting in a way you do not understand. Remember, neither way is better than the other way – just different.

BruceAndre likes this.
  17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

We have generations of Americans who lived and died by the constitution. Why is it so hard to believe that the new wave of immigrants don't have the same attachment to the constitution as lets say 3rd or 4th generation Americans? Based on the pew research non-whites support bigger government and if you look at what I posted earlier, the United States Constitution is mostly about keeping the government in check and self determination and yes I do believe the Constitution is a huge part of American value system.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Let me introduce you to the United States Constitution. Here's the Preamble...

Establish Justice. Provide for the common defense. Promote the general Welfare. I know republicans and especially trump supporters want to cherry-pick the parts that they believe support their rhetoric and step over the parts (or worse, step on) the parts that they disagree with.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This seems to me to be a strikingly unfair response. The Preamble to the Constitution is no more the Constitution than the Preface to the Decalogue is the Ten Commandments.

The part of RL's post that you have highlighted is absolutely correct--"the United States Constitution is mostly about keeping the government in check and self determination." Anyone who has actually read the Constitution and examined the Federalist Papers knows this to be the case.

While your point about what might be termed the "strategic" goals of the Constitution is well-taken, the Constitution itself is about the "tactics" of governing. Or we might liken the distinction to what organizational consultants call "goals and objectives." Goals being the broad mission statement, objectives being the specific actions needed to pursue those goals.

The Preamble is a statement of purpose, a delineation of the long range goal or purpose of governance. The Constitution itself is a list of objectives and structures and procedures that articulate how the hell the government is actually designed to work : and yes those procedures are largely about keeping the government in check and preserving individual freedoms, i.e., protect citizens' rights to 'self-determination.'

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We basically agree... the Constitution is a working documents (a living document, as many have described)... the how to's, but the Preamble sets up the goals and core principles. But the rest of the Constitution have and will continue to change with the people. Early on, one of the "working parts" excluded Native Americans. Another part limited to men. Those parts changed as America evolved.

But what hasn't changed, nor needs to, is the Preamble.

mdrowe00 and Os Trigonum like this.