1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I assume this has been posted already on this thread?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, we knew it was coming. What I didn't expect is that the gov was so unprepared with testing, monitoring, supplies for hospitals, and a coherent fed strategy.

It's too early to know how we are doing, but I'm glad Italy went first and shock many politicians. How we end up doing if we keep going down this path may be okay because the curve are being flatten in many places. Probably not okay in places where mitigation was too late and where there is no mitigation. The big risk is not waiting long enough for those places that did act. The other unknown (but I think we do know unfortunately) is that once we flatten the curve in some places, it keeps popping back up and spread widely again because again we have no coherent national strategy to attack this as a whole (mass testing, monitoring nationwide, mitigation, isolation).

To me, I have almost gave up on understanding what the fed gov is doing. I'm more focused on a few local areas that I'm interested in.

I'll just add that we are probably 3 weeks behind Italy overall (when you use per cap data)... see below

#942 Amiga, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

When you're starting from a base of ~44% approval after your "rally round the flag" period and you tack on Great Depression and thousands (if we're lucky and people don't listen to Trump, if they do listen to him it's hundreds of thousands or millions) dead in 6 months, what direction do you think that trends?

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

another good point

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is that those in charge didn't even consider ceasing international flights and cruise ship operations until it was out of control. That, and the fact that Trump kept saying it was no worse than the flu.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The fact that his approval rating for handling the pandemic is 60% should he quite troubling to the President.

Whenever there is a tragedy or national disaster people rally behind the President before reality sets in and approval falls.

If he is only at 60% it could be really nasty for him If this gets worse.

#946 Nook, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    joshuaao, IBTL and RayRay10 like this.
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Actually, I think we'll find that Trump's leadership prevents the worst case scenario, and only states that were poorly prepared, like Andrew Cuomo's New York, take the brunt of this.

Meanwhile, Trump shows an empathetic side, the country rallies around a common threat, and the partisan venom that has been spewed towards Trump by angry liberals slows down because it's just not the right time for that tone. With a media that moves more towards neutrality (from open hatred), Trump powers his way higher in the polls. All the while, Biden sounds like a declining dope who can't even get through an interview without brain lapses.

GOOD DAY

8. biina

biina Member

Wonder how much of that was bought for $2 trillion

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am so hurt by your words. Boo Hoo.

IBTL likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What was George W's approval rating after 9/11? Where did he end up?

Now the thing is, there's only 6 months till the election, but the affects of the handling of 9/11 and Trumps handling of Covid 19 will be much much more immediate. It took years to get into a war, find out we were lied to about the war, and for the public to really learn of the extent of the motives for what they did in response. Chances are people are going to be feeling this pretty hard at home much sooner than November.

But I'll say again... I HOPE TO GOD his approval of Covid is 99% at some point soon. That obviously means this nightmare is completely taken care of which would be great news for everyone.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

nor do i know anyone that has

Rocket River

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Reagan was making deals Iran to prevent him from doing anything

Rocket River

jo mama likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Respect.

It takes something special to not break character and troll in the middle of a global pandemic.

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  14. SamFisher

It's not if, it's when.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

I am about as Southern as someone can get. I almost didn’t build my firm because I didn’t want to leave the South.

However it is all fun and game because it is all happening far away in NYC and California... not in Georgia or Alabama or Texas. Only happening to those liberal crazies.

Wht they don’t realize is the South is going to be hit hard because every ******* went to see friends and family and hit the beaches and bars. Give it a few weeks and it will be a different story.

The level of willful ignorance is insane.

18. SamFisher

Super hard. People don't get that if New York and San Francisco don't have the resources to fight this, then Birmingham and Bismarck and Boise are beyond ****ed

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not the question I was talking about.

At some point there becomes a risk reward question of a lockdown and death rate is factored in to that.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

None of this is funny, and when say you don’t support trump, you are being dishonest. With all due respect. That doesn’t apply to just you, either. There are several here who say the same thing. That they “don’t support trump,” that they “don’t support the Republican Party, any political party,” yet what you and they post proves the opposite. You will say this post is “partisan,” yet you and many of the others constantly repeat the same misleading, the same dishonest “news” being pumped out by trump, by his administration, and by Fox News.

Wake up.

Some of you need to get informed. This is not a ‘partisan” problem. It’s a United States of America problem. Stop watching Fox News, which parrots what trump says and as if it is gospel. Read or watch mainstream news, and if you are too paranoid to watch the mainstream news of your own country, try reading and/or watching the BBC. Quit repeating misleading and dishonest information, something you would know you are doing if you were only well informed. Think about it.

T_Man, joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.