1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not based on what a scientist advised... nor based on any medical expert...

pirc1 and RayRay10 like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is from a guy who was surprised that flu could kill you and that flu could cause a pandemic (even though his grandfather died in the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic) and that a flu vaccine could prevent CV and that ...

joshuaao, SWTsig, Houstunna and 2 others like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I agree march 13 is approx when folks began to isolate more actively. That puts us loosely around 27 march and 2 weeks past that is the time frame trump (april 12) is hoping for.

I have a family member that was around someone with confirmed positive on 3/14. He was hospitalized since and now out but STILL waiting for the results of test on 3/19.

The confirmed case count is some now but a snapshot of almost a week ago.
    Those people have been isolating since probably at least this past week.

This puts the april 12 timeframe out of reach and at the real hope rests in how well people have followed the messaging last few weeks.

I do think the vast distances in the usa helps and places like italy in close areas make sense the same way nyc makes sense.

It will come down to how well we all did and we will know more in next 10 days.
    It stinks that republican are not taking this seriously even just today I know of one that was out getting massage and car work. I continue to ask them why but they are trumpers and even in this they are operating like its not going on. Those folks have been restricted enough by society these last 10 days and not too many of them thankfully.

Throwing money at it, a huge portion and initiative needs to go to testing a geotagging. This would reduce the overall timeframe.
    Its not too late and never will be. We can mobilize us military national guard, postal fedex amazon logistics and could be done now in mass. The ongoing is great at these stations but not enough. That side needs to be a local effort along with a national campaign. I would gladly take a hit on my paycheck to get it done. Im sure you might too.

The testing is one arm of the attack and puts the timeframe and death rate down. And oh yeah the overall cost is nothing in comparison to prolonging half assery

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Just had a thought. People with compromised immune systems do plasma therapy where they receive plasma donations from healthy people with healthy immune systems.

People that are positive with Covid but are asymptomatic could donate their plasma as presumably their immune system found a way to combat the virus without issue. Any MDs on here that could vouch this as a feasible treatment in lieu of a vaccine?

joshuaao likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I only have a very limited understanding of this but I think there are studies going on regarding people who have recovered from it. With other diseases it was possible to isolate a antibodies from people who survived and use that to treat others. If I recall there were several Ebola patients who were treated with that method.

7. London'sBurning

It just makes sense to me that if the majority of Americans that test positive for this are not going to require hospital care, then that potentially means tens of millions of people that can donate their plasma to help the sick. Something in their immune system found a way to combat the virus without it doing deathly ill bodily harm. It would then make sense to me that if you use their plasma and inject it into patients who are struggling to survive this virus, perhaps the ill might fair better with someone else's code in the driver seat, so to speak.

If this is in fact effective at all, how hard would it be to get Trump to go on TV and urge Americans to donate plasma in the midst of this health crisis?

You still would need testing to see who your positive asymptomatic Americans are, and then would need to figure how many places in America actually perform plasma donations, and then figure out transport of healthy plasma. But in the absence of an actual vaccine, perhaps this could be a viable alternative to help mitigate the loss of life from lack of medical equipment like ventilators.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

People need to stop focusing on trump. He will come and go. There are some very smart people leading our response. We will be able to rate our response in due time. I think it will be above average.

Corrosion and JumpMan like this.
  9. biina

biina Member

At 54k confirmed cases under low testing per capita, response is not looking good.

At this rate we will surpass China by the ed of the month.

RayRay10 and Rocket River like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fox is being wildly irresponsible. They gave trump a “town hall” today and their “moderators” (yeah, right) let trump say one crazy thing after another. One misleading thing after another, with no basis in reality. Just fantasies. The Fox people were aware of what trump was doing and didn’t do anything.

A whole Fox audience is going to think they can pack churches at Easter, because that’s what trump was saying. Both on Fox and in a briefing today, and trump is simply crazy. He’s nuts. He has no interest in science. He for sure has no interest in bad news. When trump hears something that doesn’t fit the narrative he wants, he gets angry. He attacks those who tell the truth, if it’s a truth he doesn’t want to hear. Mr trump doesn’t care about the people of this country. He only cares about himself, and that is the truth

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

It’s kinda hard not to focus on the president of the United States. Especially when he’s putting himself front and center everyday. He keeps saying and doing some pretty wacky things on a regular basis. Hard not to focus on the stuff he’s saying.

I thought Pence was supposed to be running this operation. Trump would be doing himself a favor by letting the professionals dispense the information.

12. malakas

malakas Member

It's not about lack of donations.
    Plasma therapy is incredibly expensive and time consuming.
    It could be a last resort for the critical cases or some severe cases, but not in place of a drug that everyone sick can use. Not in place of a vaccine.
    It will also not mitigate the lack of ventilators.

Honestly the US shouldn't have to worry about ventilators.
    Aren't there hundreds of car and other appliances factories?
    Why haven't they switched to making ventilators yet?

The UK has already ordered theirs to start making them.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you can see the gears turning in his puny brain. it’s obvious Trump wants to co-opt “resurrection” as he aims for Easter Sunday. He wants to say “America Has Risen” and he thinks he will praised as a national hero.

Lol no one is going to church on Easter and he will look like an idiot. and when people call him out and hold him accountable for the stupid and dangerous things he says, he will lash out at them as being anti American.

14. London'sBurning

Well, it was a nice thought at least for a little while.

15. Senator

Senator Member

Have the courage to read articles with facts that are longer than 8 word twitter posts...

your confusion will abate

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-widespread-coronavirus-testing-isnt-coming-anytime-soon

16. Senator

Senator Member

It's incredibly stupid, but it is a target 3 weeks from today that allows them to assess where they are. The UK had the same target. He's doing things in his own stupid way, but it's not off the radar or suicidal. Anthony Fauci also said he listens to him on all matters of critical importance despite being difficult.

The guys approval ratings are soaring.

Astrodome likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

It can be used for critical and severe patients so that is very important.
    So far those hospitalised and in ICU - who survive- require 3-4 weeks at least of healthcare.
    If with plasma we can cut this time in half then that means you can use the same resources, beds/ventilators/ healthcare providers for double the patients.

However it is very expensive.

18. malakas

malakas Member

19. Senator

Senator Member

What?

20. malakas

malakas Member

exactly.
    What???? Is my reaction when I read such pathetic excuses.
    I didn't know the US was so poor and destitute like some 3rd world country. :(