1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Supporters (or anyone): Is Character Important?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Jayzers_100, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

So much wrong in this post. What does it matter what opponents call him? That gives him the right to be a disgrace to his position? Absolutely not. The commander in chief is mandated to take the high road.

If you think one person is responsible for the economy, and that Mike Pence couldn’t step in and guide conservative policies just as easily (if not better) then you’re delusional. I’m not making this about policy though. His behavior alone is not fit for the office he holds. The president is more or less a figurehead that must be pragmatic, measured and humble. It’s a requirement of the office..no different than a military general or corporate executive

deb4rockets and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A man of impecable character - but the right hated him because he is a black man.

DD

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

'Trump has a total lack of decorum and all my political opponents are racist' - DD

I got no problem with him insulting his political opponents who insult him. go to town. its not like it affects anyone.

lolz. what?

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And Republican senators and Congress calling Obama a Muslim terrorist sympathizers communist who is a citizen of Kenya with significantly less credible information.

And as usual, you ignore the meat of my post because you don't want to have a good faith discussion.

5. tallanvor

If Obama wants to call them names back then go to town. WTF do i care. Again , it affects nobody. In fact he quite often mocked those who claimed he was born in Kenya.

what part of your lengthy emotional rant would you like me to respond to?

B@ffled likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be a stupid person.

DD

B@ffled, cml750 and Roc Paint like this.
  7. fchowd0311

Any of it in good faith without resorting to memes or a throw away comment. You know, quote relevant parts you disagree with and explain it and I'll try my best to counter or if your argument is solid I'll concede to that point. You know... like a Debate and Discussion.

8. tallanvor

I did. you made some comment about celebrities insulting other politicians so i corrected you and stated I was referring to politicians and not celebrities (though truthfully i am fine with him insulting either) . You whined, so i asked you to pick.

9. fchowd0311

I'm reffering to this part that had nothing to do with celebreties:
    It's easy to tell when you aren't debating in good faith dude.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

They are absolutely mandated to take the high road. The President of the United State’s behavior has profound ripple effects that affect everything from foreign policy to the partisan divide domestically. Professional positions often have character&fitness evaluations. There’s a reason.

DaDakota, deb4rockets and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Trump loses prepare for the real fun.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  12. tallanvor

This refers to celebrity insults which i addressed.

Dems calling the president a Russian puppet fro three years divides the country. Obama calling his opponents bitter clinger racists divides the country

'And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.'

Hillary called trump supporters deplorable.

insulting unpopular opponents riles up the base. Thus why Obama and every politician before him does it.

you want me to debate the economy in this thread? pass

he doesn't call the media 'enemy of the people' because they insult. he calls them that because they lie. What percent of the 2018 voting electorate thought Trump was a Russian puppet? 50%? It was all lies spread by the media. They mislead American voters. Thus why he calls them that. I have no problem with it and agree with it. In a rational world, people like you and DD and others on this board would be pissed at the media that you got duped.

This is why I don't respond to you long temper tantrums. It takes too long and they are meaningless. Make your point succinctly or don't make it at all.

by whom?

insulting our media has no bearing on this. If are referring to insulting a foreign government, then tell me what insult you are referring to and what affect it had.

#32 tallanvor, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    B@ffled and cml750 like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well said. I couldn't agree more!

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Ah yes, semantics. You’re right the constitution doesn’t “mandate” that the president shall not create onslaughts of tweets where he disparages those who stand in his way. However, it’s implied-in-fact. The professional community generally has a grasp of how they should conduct themselves and the market ensures these standards are met because they’re fired or removed by pressure from shareholders. It’s our duty as citizens to remove Donald Trump from office.

Yes, Obama criticized folks for clinging to guns and religion. Hillary called trump supporters a “basket of deplorables”. Do I agree with them? Yes. Should they have said those things? Probably not. Do those statements pale in comparison to Trump’s constant behavior? Absolutely.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  15. tallanvor

Quite the opposite. I think Trump's voters liek the fact that he responds in kind to his political opponent's insults. I think their mandate was to stand up to them verbally and politically. He was doing it when they voted for him. I think AOC's voters want her to act the same way.

Its not semantics.

FIFY

cml750 likes this.
  16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

A healthy chunk of his base LOVES his style. There’s no question about that and I absolutely see how he got elected. Doesn’t matter. If Mark Zuckerberg went live and stated that he hates minorities, he would have to be removed from his position. Doesn’t matter if a large group of people supported his statements. The objective good of the country is what matters

17. fchowd0311

I think you very well know that Trump ramps up that divisive level of discourse to extreme levels on a constant daily basis. That is the the most critical comment Obama has made of a certain demo of Americans. Trump makes claims about Americans who disagree with him far more frequently and with far more vitriolic language. "Enemy of the People" is one of the most vitriolic terms a president can use to describe the press. And yes he describes any entity that criticizes him "Enemy of the People". He calls factual reporting "enemy of the people". It doesn' matter if the media he is labeling "enemy of the people" are factually accurate or not. That isn't his filter to determine what is and isn't the "enemy" HIs filter is purely centered around media that is critical of him.

Look, you are way too far down the rabbit hole if you think all his ties with Russia are "fake news". Imagine a hypothetical scenario where right before an election, Obama was making deals with Iranians for a massive resort in Tehran. Imagine if Obama had a billion dollar investment banking account with a foreign bank that was accused and fined 20 billion dollars for money laundering for the Iranian businessmen who have ties to the government and Obama's account was flagged by employees of the bank with signs of money laundering which the bank executives ignored. Imagine if Obama sold real estate property to known Irianian mobsters at twice the value. Imagine if Obama hired multiple high level campaign staffers that were investigated previously by the FBI as potentially speaking with Iranian spies. Imagine if Obama's future national security adviser before he was inaugurated lied to the FBI about meeting Iranian diplomats about lifting sanctions with Iran that the current administration just put in place? What if Obama had his daughter respond to an email that had in its message " This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Iran and its government’s support for Mr Trump.” with "I love it"?

Ask yourself honestly if you would hope the FBI and Congress would investigate those as he might be the next president of the United States?

I can see the premise of the "Russia hoax" being all fake news to you is central in your premise to defend Trump's divisive nature.

#37 fchowd0311, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Jayzers_100 likes this.
  18. tallanvor

then that's the mandate from his voters.

Not if it brought the company tons of money and support. Also are you claiming Trump has said this? or are you just making a random example?

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hillary had a dubious character. She wasn't a self proclaimed, thin skinned sleazebag, but she wore her hard fought elitist title like a mink fur coat even after blood was sprayed onto it.

Two party system ftw. It relies on the behavior of people accepting and growing to like their choices after the fact.

Anyways, in the post Trump world, you'll have conservatives becoming the most sensitive and whiniest people about decency (even more than now). They made their beds and they're already anticipating payback. Payback in this case isn't even damaging... more likely guilt for playing with fire, opening Pandora's Box and grabbing it without abandon.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Random example.

and I have another example. I often tell juries that they’re the sole arbiters of justice in a criminal trial. I tell them their duty is to listen to the evidence and approach the deliberations in a fair and unbiased manner, because the defendant is entitled to a jury of his peers and that process can’t be achieved unless they keep an open mind. Now a jury can do whatever they want and there’s no telling what they discuss in the deliberation room. They may convict people for not dressing properly. I don’t know.

Juries are no different that the voting public. You can like what trump says but if you’re not voting based on who embodies the best of our values as a nation then you need to take a hard look at yourself

RayRay10 likes this.