1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump publicly admits he fired White House official as retaliation for impeachment testimony

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Feb 8, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Why is it silly? When it’s brought up folks like yourself just say it’s hyperbolic and scoff but never really offer any real evidence that there are real guardrails to prevent what I am saying. The scenario is not that crazy:

1. Trump loses in a close race
    2. Trump issues executive order to delay inauguration and swearing in. Asks DOJ to investigate election interference led by Bill Barr
    3. Dems in Congress pass bill to strike down exec order
    4. Republicans in Senate do not have 2/3 to avoid veto proof bill because they are cowards
    5. Dems in House and Dem nominee sue in court. Suit skyrockets to SCOTUS
    6. Chief Justice Roberts likely allows DOJ investigation and grants stay to give more time for investigation.
    7. Then use your imagination about what the DOJ cooks up and what the SCOTUS ultimately decides in regards to recount or revote decision.

That actually is a very Putin like scenario. He’s done stuff like that before to win elections on top of smear campaigns that lead to some bogus investigations and indictments by his law enforcement. You think Trump and Barr are above bonus investigations or wouldn’t indict Biden if they can get away with it?

This above is not that unlikely to happen and exactly how it would play out in November if Trump loses by a narrow margin. If you disagree then tell me where I’m wrong. Do you think the Senate is going to grow profiles in courage and pass a veto proof bill to strike down a Trump EO? Do you think the Supreme Court (that allowed a recount in Florida to gift the presidency to W) is a courageous institution that won’t give Trump the benefit of the doubt 99% of the time??

Where am I wrong here? Please tell me? Instead of calling me silly and hyperbolic, maybe provide some reasoning why that cannot happen. Wake up... Trump has the ability to contest the election with a Senate full of cowards and sycophants, and a SCOTUS that’ll bend over backwards to give him every benefit of the doubt imaginable.

Add in 30 to 50 million nut cases with guns and a state media willing to legitimize Trumps election contest and you have everything you need for Trump to stay in power if he loses.

#41 dobro1229, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know whether it's silly or not. He hasn't claimed he would do it, I've seen nobody connected to him claim they would do it. There is no evidence to suggest that he would do it other than scenarios like you posted which point out how he could try try and do it, and people saying that sounds like something he would do.

That isn't really evidence that he would ever attempt it or that the imagined scenarios would work.

It is possible he would try, but we don't really have any reason to think he would.

B@ffled and Corrosion like this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why don't they start impeachment over this. This seems absurd. What are his subordinates supposed to do lie? Really I wish a sane Republican had won in 2012. I mean I am not a fan of Republicans, but at least they weren't going to the level of trump.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , read what is says - How Trumpism OUTLASTS Trump.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

cml750 likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You forgot about term limits.

Win or lose this election , Trump will be gone no later than January 2024.

cml750 likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, that's why he keeps retweeting it right?

Don't be obtuse, everyone knows he wants to be a dictator (well maybe you don't).

The man is a classic cult of personality. There is a reason he idolizes despots across the globe. He wants to join the club.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

[​IMG]

8. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree with you but wanted to point out It is January 2025 he would be leaving not 2024(the election year). That being said it is possible that Donald Trump Jr. runs/wins in 2024 & 2028 followed by Eric Trump over the next eight years. There could be a Trump in the White House for a very long time. :eek:

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Joe Walsh and other Republicans see him as a dictator.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

[​IMG]

cml750 likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure , Thats "possible" if not plausible.

cml750 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. cml750

cml750 Member

I should add that Ivanka Trump would also be a viable candidate and if it went on long enough even Barron Trump would eventually come of age not to mention Donald Trump III. There could be 40+ years of Trumps in the White House.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Don't forget changing the laws for Melania's run.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Don't forget by then Chelsea Clinton and or her kids maybe looking to run, and we can get another Bush or Kennedy in there too!

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If he does it somehow and is able to maintain power (the other branches can’t stop him), your guns are useless and is more likely reasons for him to crack down on violent opposition and maintain power.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

lol

Nook likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As with most crazy things with trump, he doesn’t rule it out. It came up before and he didn’t reject it. To me it’s more than a slim chance that he would try since he does not care about norms, laws, has shown admiration for dictators and have said he learn to ask for the most outrageous things. Now, if he does attempt something like this, who can stop him - that’s to me is a better question than if he would do it.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

No that won't happen unless Trump bends the rules.

People get sick of President's, even ones that are popular (Trump isn't) after 5-6 years.

Obama, Clinton and Reagan were all popular President's and they lost their luster.

Someone that is as divisive and as outspoken as Donald Trump will cause burnout.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.