1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump extends Obama's Iran sanction relief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trump has changed flip-flopped on so many things since the election. Just about the only thing he's really been gung-ho about is arresting and deporting immigrants. Probably the one thing that his supporters care about the most.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Very practical. He should be applauded

Dealing with Iran was something I really worried about with his presidency but this is a good sign

Rocketman95 likes this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

People slammed Bill Clinton for having no "core values". The same crowd blasted John Kerry for being a flip flopper.

Their comments on Donald Trump: ..........................................................

Consistency, thou art a jewel.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Trump does something bad, he is unfit for president and should be impeached immediately.

Trump does something good and he flip flopper.

Just like those during the Obama presidency who criticized him literally about everything, the other side is doing the same exact thing. They choose only to see the negativity.

Consistency, thou art a jewel.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

See here's the thing. I think there's more merit here but obviously I'm biased but here me out.

Trump shoots himself in the foot more. He makes hyperbolic over the top statements. Like, I'm not sure and I am not going to bother looking it up but I think I know Trump enough to know that he probably stated something along the lines of "The Iran deal is the worst deal in history and will result in absolute disaster for America. Believe me."

Right? I'm sure he said something along those lines. So how come he's going to keep something that he said that was one of the worst deals ever made and can pose a genocidal threat to America?

Did Obama shoot himself in the foot like this? I don't know. I'm sure you can bring up the Syria redline. But Trump does it countless times. He states that Obamacare is the worst thing ever and is going to ruin the lives of millions yet he's just going to wait it out?

I dunno. I think you are making a false equivalency here. I don't think Obama tripped himself up as much.

joshuaao and wouldabeen23 like this.
  6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's not that he's flipped, it's that he was clearly full of it.

NATO is obsolete. China is a currency manipulator. The Iran deal is one of the worst deals ever.

These were top 10 bullet points during the campaign, and he's completely reversed his position on all of them in the last week. It's almost as if he had no real position on anything at all because he didn't bother to learn about what's going on in the world.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The first four results for "trump twitter iran deal":

NewRoxFan likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL, I think I would feel ashamed if I had any recollection of you seeing the positives in Obama. Instead, seemed you were among those that criticized him literally about everything.

But looking for positives... you are free to post about all the positive things trump has done since becoming President. We're at Day 88, and soon we will be at the 100 day mark that Presidents tend to be judged at. As far as I know, Trump doesn't have any legislative successes. Seems that his one major accomplishment is nominating Gorsuch to the USSC and even that accomplishment has an asterisk (the GOP Senate needed to change rules to get him approved). Other than that, he can point to bombing Syria and even that had questionable results.

But, since you believe folks need to be more positive... here's your chance.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It's early in his presidency. I would like to see him take a tougher stance against North Korea and China, but he appears to have wimped out like his predecessor.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Never mind out of the three posts before Space Ghost decided to spew his garbage, one of them was a liberal applauding the move.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trump is one big walking contradiction with a sense of humorous irony. This Iran deal is nothing new in a long line of contradictions.

That being said, I'm glad that on SOME issues like this, he (or his team of foreign policy advisers) value things like... well world peace (or non nuclear catastrophic war at least)... over political points with the Brietbart crowd.

At the end of the day, politically, he's going to gain some support from the traditional establishment GOP'ers (who care about nothing but tax cuts for the rich, unborn babies, and oil consumption), and he will lose a small amount of the Breitbart white nationalists... but lets get real folks....he's gaining NO support from the Dems & independents who oppose him and will never support him as long as he -

-Pushes policy that only benefits the wealthy through tax cuts (like AHCA)
    -reverses progress on climate change
    -continues to drive an openly ethnic cleansing initiative to rid the US of brown people
    -has massive conflicts of interest & using the white house for personal gain
    -has an FBI investigation over his head

Glad Trump is holding up the Iran deal for now, but he's got a hell of a long way to go before we can start giving him praise for Flip Flops in the positive direction.

He has to flip flop on the above listed policies before he can ever think about getting Dem or really moderate independent support.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm all for flip flopping if it means flip flopping to rational minded decisions. Clearly he or people in his administration analyzed the sanction and realized this is not one issue to politicize any further. IMO that means he's putting the nation's best interest first in this situation which is surprisingly refreshing coming from his administration thus far.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Trump doesn't F up the Nuke deal and recognizes he can't do any better, then I will give him credit for not being a total moron. I'd rather have a president that flip-flops in the right direction that makes the wrong choice.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What this shows is how stupid the voters are once again.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In Trump's defense, it was easier to not sign the Iran deal than it will be to overturn it without cause. It would make the US look like an untrustworthy counterparty, it would upset allies that were also signatories, it would cost money to the businesses that have started making investments in deals with Iran. Besides which, the deal would now live on without the US because other nations would not reimpose sanctions. It would, in fact, put the US at a competitive disadvantage. So, Trump can still hate the deal and think it is the stupidest thing ever, and still make the rational choice to honor it. The thing that's annoying about the "flip-flop" is that Trump was bullshitting the electorate with total impunity. It's really easy to tell people Obama is weak and he's going to be so tough -- call China a currency manipulator, rip up the Iran deal, tell NATO to pay up, tell Mexico to **** off, etc etc etc. -- knowing full well that by the time he's held accountable the election will be over.

mdrowe00, fchowd0311 and Astrodome like this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So conservatives and Republicans are inconsistent, hypocritical jerks just the same as liberals and Dems.

Thank you.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm wondering whether the alt-righters are calling this...a cuck turnaround or visionary 5dee strategery

18. Major

Major Member

Everything Space Ghost posts is a programmatic response. Reality doesn't seem to matter at all to him. It's like he just criticizes everything he does, but just pretends it's everyone else that's doing it.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

While true, Trump wasn't just saying he thought the deal sucked. He insisted that he was going to rip it up. Changing his mind is not a big deal, IMO. It's that this is more evidence that (a) he has no actual beliefs or values and (b) that he just says whatever sounds good at the time. It's a horrible way to make policy, even if he ends up at the right policy at the end sometimes. The biggest issue is that his process doesn't bode well for future policy.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

His approach destroys Presidential/US credibility on the national/world stage. The consequences of spouting off like he does could be catastrophic.