1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Expected to Pull Out of Paris Climate Agreement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dobro1229, May 31, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the appeal to experts fallacy is getting used quite a bit here

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah, experts BAD.
    Me want common man do science, do economy, do my mom's heart surgery. Me name is Mao Zedong. Me hate eggheads. Me think Joe the Plumber should do every job.
    Experts b act gay. I saw a expert he was MUSLIM. Expert said being stupid is worse that being smart. ROFL, elitist expert at being faggy.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes. Wise people understand their lane and keep to it. I'm not a scientist, so when I'm looking for insight on science I listen to the scientist.

Do you listen to your doctor? Do you think you know more about health and medicine than s/he?

Interestingly enough, I bet you listen to experts about this or that throughout your daily life (except for the things you are an expert at) but with this particular thing, you've decided that they are bad.

No Worries likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

"Experts fallacy" is only a fallacy when it is an appeal to an individual's or small group's alleged expertise or credentials as bolstering the value of what they say. I.e. So and so has a PhD in X, so he must know what he's talking about. That is quite different from an appeal to consensus from all experts in the field.

Perhaps you could argue that people are exaggerating the scope of the scientific consensus in this case. But assuming the consensus, to whatever extent it actually covers, is likely true, especially when one is not himself/herself an expert in the area, is not at all a fallacy.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I hate when so-called experts tell me to do things or not do things. Usually ends up costing me money. Why can't they mind their own business and quit pretending they have my best interests in mind when they really just want to transfer my wealth and control my behavior.

Like... why should I eat healthier? Why shouldn't I drink and take drugs? Why should I exercise. Wealth transfer and behavior control!
    And why should I worry if the water is without contamination? That the air isn't polluted. That products are safe? More wealth transfer and behavior control!

Damn these so-called experts. Scientists! What makes them so smart anyway?!

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You know who teaches these "scientists" and deems them worthy to "graduate" and receive "diplomas" which recognize their knowledge of "science", don't you? Other "scientists"!

Ouroboros, we're through the looking glass.

SamFisher likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Well our current world civilization is built on our current climate....

You apparently think that if we do nothing now that you'll save money and won't be controlled....?

It seems like you would be giving up even more money and control trying to adjust to climate change.... ever thought about what it will cost to adjust to higher sea levels and new agricultural areas?

8. dmoneybangbang

The climate is always changing is my favorite excuse!

I mean the universe is always slinging asteroids at Earth, why lift a finger?

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it's a fallacy. That's what it is alright.

Those who have studied the most, done the most research, spent the most time training, collected the most data, analyzed the most data, and researched the most should never have any say on the subject.

I agree with you, that it's mighty sketchy to let people who have done all that work on a subject be trusted with having any say.

No Worries and Deckard like this.
  10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is the GOP mentality of today, do not trust science and experts but trust what the politicians tells you.

Deckard likes this.
  11. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

It's republican covfefe that counts. Who cares what the smart people that study this for a living think

Deckard likes this.
  12. Anticope

Anticope Member

"The so-called expert doctors say that I have cancer but it's just a scheme to steal my hard-earned money. Besides, my body is changing all the time and there's nothing that can be done about cancer. Plus, who's to say that my body is in optimal condition right now anyways?"

-Commodore probably

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is brilliant.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

c2 = a2 + b2 my ass - Python Koreans are not experts in anything.

15. Commodore

a good example here, we need not know anything about Pythagoras to know this is true

16. Commodore

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Does Congress have to vote on this if Trump withdraws? Or, does the president have the final say?

I don't see Congressional support for withdrawing. Republicans in office are already facing health care vote backlash and now they want to add this to their resumes? I don't think you have a majority of Republicans in office that would support withdrawing from this agreement.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that's not what's happening here entirely. It is not a logical fallacy to believe the data collected and presented after the experts have done their studies. Nobody is saying it must be true simply because an expert says it is. I believe they are saying the best-known data agrees that it is happening. It has been collected, tested and presented by experts that are more qualified to do this job than the folks trying to deny it.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Obama Latest: Democrat source says a Paris climate change entrance plan may contain fine print to satisfy his daughter Malia’s objections.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I believe they don't have to vote but it's important to note we wouldn't officially be out till 2020 and we could easily jump back in after the next election. Thats kind of besides the point though.

Let's be honest here. It's not really that big of a deal on its surface. It's a statement that is being made now and the Damage might already be done by signaling that the US is self serving and are giving China and India a fast track lane to lead in clean energy global industrial infrastructure.

What's truly baffling and quite dumb about this is the US has the ability to adjust their targets for carbon emissions to next to nothing just to stay in the agreement but cost the US next to nothing. That's why so many energy companies including Exxon want Trump to reconsider. They care about being at the table for international energy business deals.

This is nothing but grandstanding to his ignorant base and the act of grandstanding alone is hurting us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/06/01/europe/eu-us-climate/index.html

China is already taking advantage of our leaderships bafoonery.