1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Expected to Pull Out of Paris Climate Agreement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dobro1229, May 31, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what makes the current climate optimal?

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Then stay out of the discussion? If you want to give up on it then give up on it.

I don't get why we have so many people sticking their noses into scientific discussions. You hear so many people give their 'opinions' on climate and so many politicians that tell you they know better than the scientists on this...I mean really?

It also never hits the right on the head that we are the only major country that this is even a discussion.

3. Commodore

Oh I would, but others want to come after my money and freedoms with the preposterous aim of altering the climate.

Then it becomes my affair.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the only side that stands to profit are energy companies. climate scientists have great job security. They also have close to zero political influence relative to a single oil company.

the gold standard in science is when your theory can predict previously unmeasured results that can not otherwise be explained.

Climate science as done this with high accuracy. The models predicted that certain layers of the atmosphere would warm at night if indeed co2 was the source of the warming trend. That has been confirmed. There are other confirmations. This is why the science is considered sound. Climate theeory isn't about saying exactly what temperature it will be...it''s about undersnding the cause and effect relationships that are now indisputable.

to deny global warming is now like saying the earth is flat.

No Worries and dobro1229 like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's just amazing what people still say in 2017. Obviously none of you live in Miami where areas that were developed just years ago are now under water during high tide.

Go look at Syria as a prime example of climate already having an affect on global national security because the massive amounts of farmers that had to move to cities like Aleppo during the drought of the past decade.

Hell...I grew up in south Houston and used to surf at Surfside where there was a surfspot called "the octagon". You know why its called the octagon? Because its literally where a octagon shaped beach house used to be where the water now has buried. I think two rows of beachfront property are now under water and gone.

Go tell the people that live in Alaska whose way of life has completely changed now that "its just a theory based on models".

Just look at NASA's satellite imagery of the north pole now during the summer vs just 20 years ago. Its almost non-existent. That's not normal.

Maybe its all just part of the earth's natural pattern of change, and mankind has nothing to do with it. However, lets please grow up and stop lying to ourselves and each other that its all just a hoax. Like when mankind was finally able to fly in planes to see for themselves that the world is not flat, we can see now that climate change is real. If you want to keep lying to yourself fine, but don't give me a lecture about caring about the earth, and having a safe clean place for my kids and kids kids.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, your priorities are a bit crooked.

You believe the climate is changing...yet, you want to do nothing about it so you can save money?

A preposterous aim of altering the climate? According to whom? You? Pretty intelligent people think it can be battled or delayed. I think I'll take their advice on the subject over a few politicians and random conservatives whose extent of knowledge on the subject is limited to how much they can google.

What is more preposterous is that you expect our brightest minds to sit back and do nothing because of your fears that they are coming after your money.

7. dobro1229

Also most people here I assume live in Houston. A city that stands to lose everything due to climate change. Lets say there is only a 5% chance that the affects of climate change sea rise come up to where the models show they will go up to.

That's a 5% chance the city of Houston is completely under water. You just want to sit there and say oh well? My home. My Rockets, Texans, Astros, fav restaurants, landmarks etc. all could be gone and under water at some point and I sat there and denied science because of my political beliefs which we all know is backed by the fact that my political party is funded by oil companies.

I'm being dramatic here, but we all know and love Houston as dirty as she is. Why even risk is? Especially when the US could be a leader in clean energy jobs and kick the crap out of China from a technological standpoint. Look at the auto industry. You think Ford and Chevy are going to beat out Asian auto manufacturers for electric or highly fuel efficient cars? Even if its just about the economics, why wouldn't you be all for it? Climate denial, in Houston of all places, just boggles my mind.

Worst of all.... you'd all have to live in DALLAS. That risk alone should be worth saying "I'm in... lets clean this b$#* up".

8. Commodore

It's not a big deal that it's changing, and nothing can be done about it regardless.

It's just a pretense to transfer wealth and control people's behavior.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's do a more realistic scenario, let's say there's a 5% chance that rising seas will significantly erode the Texas coastline to where Houston could be affected in some meaningful way and let's say that there's a 1% chance that you could actually do something about it by harming the economy and making life significantly harder for the poor....is that still worth it?

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's completely false. That isn't the opinion of every other country and our own Pentagon...but whatever, I know there is no convincing you.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the changing of the climate is inevitable, which is the opinion of many, is it still something worth harming the economy and disproportionally harming the poor?

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not a big deal that the climate is changing? Ha.

13. dobro1229

Or you could invest in a true capitalist energy market where true competition with a thriving energy market is good for everyone. We could just say that its good for our economy to lead China and India in innovation. You can make whatever decision you want now. You put your head in the sand like you want to obviously and we lose anyways in the longrun.

I'm not getting dragged into another one of your rabbit hole straw mans. Please put me on ignore if my opinion bothers you.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Our neighbor Venus is an extreme example of what global warming from greenhouses can do to a planet. I've read people saying that the Earth will recover if we happen to wipe ourselves out. It's possible we could permanently KO life as we know it on this planet for good. I think this would take hundreds of years of neglect but to say it's inevitable and isn't a bad thing is asinine IMO.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It is inevitable. It is inevitable that the sun will explode one day and take Earth with it. While getting up and moving to another planet seems like an impossible idea, it must be done, thankfully we have people dedicating their lives to such an impossible seeming task...but we have to survive long enough on this planet to figure that stuff out...and we should stay out of their way. Sure, make sure their funds are being used efficiently, but it annoys me that we have so many politicians butting into what should be purely scientific discourse.

As for the poor, climate change harms the poor. It harms everyone on the planet, the poor will be unable to say get up and move to another country or location because of the changing climate, they will be the first ones in front of that bullet.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Do droughts and floods harm the poor? Asking for a friend.

No Worries likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There are quite a few people on this message board that I admit are smarter than I am. Hopefully I have learned a few things reading posters' thoughts and opinions over the years. My god though, some people are definitely on the other end of the spectrum.

I mean seriously? If you were to go show this quote to 10,000 different scientists with PhD's how many do you think would agree with you? I assume not many at all would agree with either notion or belief that you just threw out there. Perhaps not a single one out of 10,000 would agree with both.

So knowing that... you just think that what you said is true (or perhaps you have a Doctorate in something relevant to this discussion) And coincidentally you are a republican right? Per the Scientific American "the only major political party in the world not convinced by climate change"

To make things clear though from what you have gathered through you exhaustive research I am sure. You do agree that climate change is happening correct (per your post)? You just think that it is completely natural, and do not believe in anthropogenic climate change. Which means (as of 2011 7 billion people, and now as of 2017 over 7 1/2 billion) have had zero, nada, nothing to do with the climate changing. ALSO... you are saying that with that non human impacted climate change that is happening will not effect and is "not a big deal" to the billions (and ever increasing as I showed) people on this planet correct? Many of which live on islands and next to water and oceans.

ok

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

don't you see that your 1st two statements is driven by your last statement of a personal strong belief?

do you seriously think that the US military, as one simple example, is on board with this world wide desire to transfer wealth and control people's behavior? the more obvious reason is right in front of you. There isn't any world wide conspiracy to do a transfer of wealth and to control people, but there is simply a concern about the devastating effect and a BASIC desire to mitigate them for a better future and livelihood of human.

be skeptical of your own belief

19. Commodore

Climate is always changing, and was changing before humans existed. There's nothing about the current state that is sacred, there are good/bad tradeoffs to it getting warmer/cooler. Of course human activity is one of thousands of variables that contribute to the current state.

The policy proscriptions are coincidently always forcible wealth transfer and/or behavior modification. All of which won't change the weather, but will hurt people's quality of life.

expert (!) predictions from 2008 about the end of days in 2015, lol

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This thinking is so simplistic. It's a charade of "scientific" thinking by someone who does not have any scientific thinking.
    "climate is always changing": so what? So is your blood pressure, the economy, and so on. Changes can still be bad sometimes.
    "Good/bad tradeoffs": wow are you Taoist? Deep, man. Murdering families has good/bad tradeoffs too. So what?
    "thousands of variables": yeah, 9/11 involved thousands of variables. Wanna have another 9/11? Number of variables is irrelevant.
    "transfer of wealth": what a crock. The military, the war on terror, taxes, health care, the government itself involve transfer of wealth: do you oppose all of those?