1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Expected to Pull Out of Paris Climate Agreement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dobro1229, May 31, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

no one has done more to diminish economic growth and the quality of life for the poor than climate nutjobs raising energy prices

2. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... you can be dishonest and make it not look so bigly.....

3. dmoneybangbang

The irony is shale caused a global supply glut in 2014 and the Permian Basin in Texas is the hottest play in North American because of shale. Was it MAGA when this was happening under Obama?

You don't even know what you are cheering for honestly.

Amiga, krnxsnoopy and B-Bob like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Since you are so intellectually advanced why aren't you explaining the details of the study instead of picking a fight with the person who started the thread?

Explain to the intellectually lazy how the Koch Brothers funded Heritage Foundation compiled this research and calculated these figures.

The Heritage Foundation is famous for producing a White Paper that states "The only consensus over the threat of climate change that seems to exist these days is that there is no consensus"... which is the dumbest statement about climate change we have ever seen. What's the percentage of scientist that agree on climate change again?

Maybe the Heritage Foundation study is 110% correct. However given the fact that they are highly partisan, and funded by opposition corporations, its insane to NOT point out the red flag in the fact that this is being proposed by yourself and Russian Legend as a fact based study we should just trust at face value.

You are the one that is insulting everyone's intelligence by trying to pull a fast one with loose alternative partisan facts.

Rather than debating everything that the Heritage Foundation has put out there, here is an article to read for counters to their arguments.

http://www.wri.org/blog/2017/03/heritage-foundation-gets-it-wrong-costs-and-benefits-climate-action

#44 dobro1229, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it happened in spite of Obama

he'd have banned fracking if he could find a way

6. dmoneybangbang

You have no idea what you are talking about... we had an oil and gas boom from production to refining in the last 5 year while greatly increasing renewable energy.

#46 dmoneybangbang, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  7. dmoneybangbang

You mean in spite of the worst environmental disaster in US caused by a group of oil companies? Remember Deepwater Horizon?

Obama wouldn't have banned fracking, you just have to be dishonest in order to validate your beliefs.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just explained to you that their numbers are well in line with others who ran the numbers on the cost of the Paris climate agreement.....so unless you can show how you think they are wrong, don't just roll with ad hominem BS and expect people to let you get away with it.

Notice how my next post was "Of course, we don't have to accept that study as fact, according to a Columbia University economics professor the deal would cost between $1.28 trillion and $5.28 trillion. Of course, no matter how you slice it up, the Paris climate agreement was going to cost the US trillions and have incredibly little to no actual benefits."

That post was made before your ad hominem about the Heritage study, but you ignored it because you had no way of easily attacking the credibility of those who did the study and you sure as hell didn't want to address the content of the studies because you know you've got nothing there.

Basically you don't like what they are saying, but you probably know deep down that what they are saying is accurate or potentially accurate so you attack them in order to get around actually discussing the content of what they are saying because that's a conversation you can't win and you know it.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do think it's funny that most people who are against "fracking" are against it based on it's name alone. They just assume something called "fracking" has to be bad.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

US didn't agree to the Kyoto protocol, yet was the first country to meet the targets.

Still, nobody has answered my question on p1 about what this will do to renewable energy investment in the US.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting that so many company's have called for the U.S. to stay in the Paris Accord:

Well, not all industries/companies...
    https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ull-court-press-on-paris-as-trump-weighs-exit

12. dmoneybangbang

I think it's because of the actual consequences of fracking, it can serious damage to water reservoirs if done poorly or cheaply.

13. dmoneybangbang

I'd imagine we lose ground on technology. China has repeatedly shown it doesn't mind spending public money to gain a competitive edge.

It's funny because if Trump and co had any sort of vision, they could have tied natural gas to climate change.

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Danish statistician Dr. Bjorn Lomborg, the President of the Copenhagen Consensus Center: 'We will spend at least one hundred trillion dollars in order to reduce the temperature by the end of the century by a grand total of three tenths of one degree...the equivalent of postponing warming by less than four years...Again, that is using the UN's own climate prediction model.'
    'If the U.S. delivers for the whole century on the President Obama's very ambitious rhetoric, it would postpone global warming by about eight months at the end of the century.'
    'But here is the biggest problem: These miniscule benefits do not come free -- quite the contrary. The cost of the UN Paris climate pact is likely to run 1 to 2 trillion dollars every year.'

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What an f'n a-hole

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

17. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Best take in the thread supporting the decision. Interesting perspective. I don't have a ton of faith in congress enacting legislation that is in the best interest of the country. But I can get on board with this principle.

I guess the argument would be that we aren't allowed to dispose of our trash in Canada and emissions do not stay within international borders (for example).

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

By that same logic, no one has done more to stop bank robbers from their right to jobs as bank robbers than the police. Screw the public threat and the annoyance of criminal activity, the police are standing in the way of America jobs over here! It's my right as an American to take what I want, regulations and laws be damned!

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I didn't want to go deep into the study because I'm not a climatologist like you think you are, and I'm actually working today. And the argument was never about cost alone... of course it was going to cost money. We weren't arguing that. We weren't arguing anything other than me simply stating that the Koch Brothers obviously have a vested interest in studies like this one that will paint climate change legislation in a negative light.

What I do know is that the Heritage Foundation has reasons to skew their figures in favor of climate denial. In what freaking world is it not worth noting motive and the partisan backing of a study? It would be like the Obama Foundation publishing "research" about Healthcare in 2009 when he was trying to get healthcare reform passed. You don't think THAT would raise a flag?

You say the research is good. I say tell me about it. Then you whine like a little b**** about me attacking you and your Heritage Foundation you obviously have sentiment towards. Good god. Go take your meds and if you can't take me questioning you put me on ignore already. You are worse than my 2 year old I swear.