1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Expected to Pull Out of Paris Climate Agreement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dobro1229, May 31, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

outstanding, MAGA

2. Commodore

not sure how binding it was to begin with, but this should be rejected on the general principle that massive domestic policy changes should not be enacted by decree without consent of Congress

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This isn't possible. Donald Trump self funded his campaign so he wouldn't be beholden to any special interests.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hillary Clinton sighting!

B-Bob likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Obviously hedging their bets. Interesting to see so many GOPs. Same listing is available for health care and health insurance donations. You'd be shocked... many of the same names.

6. Commodore

keeps getting better, this is a MAGA day

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Hot take: Hillary was quite a moderate candidate.

I get it though, everyone takes cash from everyone, then the highest bidder gets the first favors called in.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Who needs drinking water anyways. Gatorade has the electrolytes I crave.

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This is great news. That deal was going to cost us 2 trillion dollars a year and 400,000 jobs.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's it in a nutshell. trump is obsessed with reversing anything Obama did while in office, and any policy that is seen as moderate or progressive, regardless whether that policy was created under a Democratic or a Republican administration. The bill creating the EPA was signed by Richard Nixon and what does trump do? He appoints as head of the agency a man who wants the EPA gone and is working hard to make it ineffective, and trump guts its budget. It doesn't matter to him if doing that is terrible policy and damages both the nation itself, and the nation's reputation around the world. trump could care less.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

I had a professor in undergrad. Staunch republican. Hated Obama, I mean despised him. I asked him if he voted for Trump recently. He said no, he said if a party exists only to undermine and reverse the policies of one president they aren't worth a damn. They aren't being true to their core values. Some people are getting it, but sadly a lot still don't see it.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nice to see that RussianLegend is also an economist who has spent months do extensive research. Care to share how you did such extensive research on your own to claim such statistics?

Do you and others even know that the Paris Climate Agreement actually has flexibility to adjust your targets? You don't have to pull out of the agreement. You can adjust accordingly to where you are targeting. Its just senseless to fully pull out unless you are grandstanding for ignorant people for political gain.

On top of that we seed leadership to China. I don't care if its international basket weaving. The US should never concede leadership of anything to China much less a framework that will allow for China to lead in constructing international energy deals, and an avenue for technology sharing with the members of this accord.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds good to me.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not even close... It was going to cost us 11 trillion dollars an hour and cost the jobs of every person working in the United States.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His numbers were based on a study done by the Heritage foundation so it's not like he just made them up. According to that study it would cost the US 2.5 trillion dollars by 2035 and eliminate 400k jobs in that time frame. It also said that it would increase electricity costs for a family of four between 13 and 20 percent and cost the average American family over 20k worth of lost income by 2035.

You can disagree with the study, but he didn't just pull the numbers out of nowhere.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course, we don't have to accept that study as fact, according to a Columbia University economics professor the deal would cost between $1.28 trillion and $5.28 trillion. Of course, no matter how you slice it up, the Paris climate agreement was going to cost the US trillions and have incredibly little to no actual benefits. Pulling out of that amazing deal was a pretty good idea IMO.

MojoMan likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

He said $2 trillion a year, so yeah, he did pull the numbers out of nowhere.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Hmmm... The Heritage Foundation publishes a study about Climate change that says Climate Change legislation is too expensive and costs jobs.....

...and that foundation is funded by the Koch Brothers. SHOCKING. Surely an independent bi-partisan study with no clear motive for stunting Climate Change legislation.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, well then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just wrote it wrong because the actual numbers were right, just the time frame was very wrong. There's no way it would cost 2 trillion a year, that's just stupid.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How about discuss the content of what was said instead of going the ad hominem direction. I know that it's pretty much all you have to go on and it's cheap and easy to just roll with fallacious BS like this without ever touching on the actual discussion that is going on, but try to rise above your intellectually lazy habits. No one is arguing that Heritage is anything other than a conservative think tank, but that doesn't mean they are wrong.....especially when their numbers are well in line with the numbers others have suggested.