1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump cabinet selections and appointments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 18, 2016.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Bush's election was mired in controversy, I know you may deny that but come on now.

JFK won the popular vote in the first place. Of course it is much more complicated than vote counts, the point is that Trump is not going in as a favorable president and that there are plenty of people who loathe him. The idea that he can just ram things through and not expect a repudiation...well I think it'll be proven wrong by 2020.

2. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I agree with the sentiment and it's laugable that he's on board after his talk of trump representing "trickle down racism" and all the other bombs he threw. However, I'll take Romney as sec state over the other deplorables he could go with.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seriously doubt he'd get any appointment. Trump keeps score. I expect Trump's motivation is to have another enemy grovel before him, which he seems to like. I can't fathom, though, why Romney would be party. Serving for Trump might be the only thing more humiliating than being rejected by Trump. He's almsot 70, filthy rich and very accomplished. He should relax and enjoy the fruits of his labor.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I'd like to think Romney would accept the position with the same attitude Obama has about holding Trump's hand through the transition and the early days of Trump's administration: "It's either me or some unqualified, un-American guy." He'll hold his nose, cover his ears, and take one for the team.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Me too... though, Romney is (relatively) sane, which may be in short supply in this administration.

I wonder how this will play, though? I think the Bush family, McCain and Romney's rejection of Trump underscored his anti-establishment, burn-it-all down campaign among those fed-up with both parties. And now here he is reaching back out to the same-'ol, same-'ol to bring them into the fold...

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

From an interview of Steve Bannon by the Hollywood Reporter, which was published just a short while ago. More at the link:

Steve Bannon Interviewed: "It's About Americans Not Getting F—ed Over"

Bannon next discusses the "battle line" inside America's great divide.

He absolutely — mockingly — rejects the idea that this is a racial line. “I’m not a white nationalist, I’m a nationalist. I’m an economic nationalist,” he tells me. “The globalists gutted the American working class and created a middle class in Asia. The issue now is about Americans looking to not get f—ed over. If we deliver—” by "we" he means the Trump White House "—we’ll get 60 percent of the white vote, and 40 percent of the black and Hispanic vote and we’ll govern for 50 years. That’s what the Democrats missed, they were talking to these people with companies with a $9 billion market cap employing nine people. It’s not reality. They lost sight of what the world is about.​

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personnel is policy and the policy suggestions, thus far, are horrendous. White nationalism/Alt-Right wet dream. This all looks like to prologue to some dystopian fantasy, science-fi. Just horrifyingly disgusting.

...Maybe Romney is thinking about trying to inject some competence into this administration and try to save the world at some level. Yes, he would be compromising some principles, especially in light of his scathing and accurate assessment of Trump.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So you guys have a choice here about which way you go next.

You can go with the arrogant, condescending, 'we know everything and if you disagree we will attack and try to ruin you' approach - the "Political Correctness," name calling, ruthless intolerance approach - which just lost you the presidency and has left the Democrats well worse off than decimated (decimated is 10%) from when Obama came to office in 2008. Or you can take this as a learning opportunity and realize that this approach was highly offensive to many tens of millions of Americans and that for you to return to power, you will need to find another way.

It looks like you are intent on doubling down on the intolerant, hostile, hateful, "Political Correctness" agenda for another round. You can certainly do that if you want, but consider yourselves warned. This is the way to the dark side.

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a perfect example of why Trump is prologue and this trend toward authoritarian leadership will continue.

I'm not a "you guys." I'm not on a team. I'm calling a spade a spade. This administration is taking a hard white-nationalist bend. Don't like white-nationalist? Then call it Alt-Right. Because those particular people, the white nationalist, alt-righters aren't ashamed of who they are and are celebrating theses picks. There is nothing condescending in acknowledging these people for who they are, and in some cases, what they have celebrated themselves as.

That isn't name calling. That is factual analysis. Adherence to facts should not yield accusations of arrogance. That it does is a serious problem and makes me fear for my nation. Be first allegiant to the nation; not your party.

We, collectively as a nation, have a choice of what direction we want to go. We can double down on team-politics and partisanship, as your response demonstrates. Or we can stand up for what the American democratic republic is supposed to represent as enshrined in our constitution. Doesn't matter who it is or what team they politic for, we should condemn threats to our democracy.

We have watched a man lie his way into the presidency. We have watched the FBI inappropriately disclose (irrelevant) information just days before an election, affecting the outcome. We have watched a foreign power, a rival nation, interfere in our elections to see one candidate, who is friendly to that nation, win. And thusly, are seeing cabinet choices that are friendly to that nation.

DudeWah and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Keep it up. You have already seen how this ends up for you guys.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Looks like you're in good company, as usual!

[​IMG]
    I guess you really do know how to stay away from "the dark side" HAW HAW

JeffB likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

""Beware of Gaius, he'll pour a honeyed potion in your ear and you'll wake up one day and all you'll say is Republic! Republic!"" - Commodus

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm full well expecting the pot movement to reverse any gains. Feds will shut down the states on the matter. Prison populations are going to explode and the corrupt privatized prison system will rape America. Minorities thought it was bad before. Get ready cause you haven't seen anything yet. So far, almost everything Trump said on the campaign trail has been lies to get elected. He would have said anything.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually it hasnt entirely been lies - he promised to restore white supremacy and he appears to be delivering.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Interesting exerpts. More at the source.

It makes Bannon interesting, formidable, and extremely dangerous...one you don't want to underestimate.

His comments about the NYT driven echo chamber in CNN and MSNBC is validation of what Conservatives has been saying for the last 15 years.

Boasting of past prognostications are common with winners, but the real meat is Bannon's insights and thoughts in future policy.

It'll be interesting to see how Trump pushes down a trillion dollar infrastructure package that makes Obama's Stimulus Package look limp. He should probably kill all forms of global trade to make sure other shifty countries doesn't free-ride off that deal. Keep it all M'ercan M'ade

The dangerous part is that I'm betting Bannon will try to take measures two or three steps down the line to kill Globalism at its core. Whether that means a repeat of an unstable multipolar pre-ww1 world is strong possibility. But that would assume Trump is a puppet too concerned with how he looks on TV at the moment, like a stock ticker, rather than taking criticism on the chin and ponder his true legacy.

Ironic that Bannon built his "right wing" empire off the royalties of two Jewish comedians.

16. body slam

body slam Member

I know he does not have a lot of time to get his team together, but he still has some time. I really wish he would take his time. Listening to the news it like he's been the president elect for 10 days and he still has all these holes to fill.

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Trump is ahead of the pace that Obama was when he was putting together his cabinet.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think this generated drama and tension works for Trump as it sets incredibly low standards to the point where we award him Gold and Silver stars every time the President elect decides to act or look presidential.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Might want to read this article. It is obvious to everyone you are name calling and not analyzing facts but it might not be obvious to you what is dangerous about doing that.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/

From article:
    This, I think, is the first level of crying wolf. What if, one day, there is a candidate who hates black people so much that he doesn’t go on a campaign stop to a traditionally black church in Detroit, talk about all of the contributions black people have made to America, promise to fight for black people, and say that his campaign is about opposing racism in all its forms? What if there’s a candidate who does something more like, say, go to a KKK meeting and say that black people are inferior and only whites are real Americans?

We might want to use words like “openly racist” or “openly white supremacist” to describe him. And at that point, nobody will listen, because we wasted “openly white supremacist” on the guy who tweets pictures of himself eating a taco on Cinco de Mayo while saying “I love Hispanics!”

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Trump\s cabinet is a scary bunch. They were elected in because the US economic power is weakening, not even these guys will be able to change the new global competitive reality. They may bring in short term growth through nationalism, but in the long run its going to be bad news. Eventually everyone will be worse off and when that happens these guys will distract the public with theatre around their hatred & fear.