1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Approval at 55%! Go Trump!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Wow this all is terrible news. Reminds me of what everyone was saying before the election that
    he had no chance.

Also fwiw. This is great news for Hillary Clinton!

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Hillary is terrible at running elections, text book example of how to blow a huge lead.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That's one way to look at this. And laugh it off as "fake media".

Another way is to look at it is that Trump is the President of all of the United States. Not just the conservatives. Not just republicans. All Americans, including Independents and even Democrats. And perhaps it might make sense to listen to those outside his echo chamber when it comes to making and communicating policy.

And declining polling isn't the only metric he should be concerned about... republican members of Congress are hearing and seeing increased concerns voiced from citizens that may translate into midterm changes.

btw, I remember when those that criticized the previous President used to point to "low" favorability polling in the mid to high forties (at least until his final year in office). Trump can only hope for those sorts of numbers...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am hoping this show of dissatisfaction with the GOP law makers translate into something concrete in 2018, but I am not holding my breath for it to happen.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Damn...its like some people have personally invested in Donald Trump stock or something. No matter what idiotic thing he says or does they are happy as long as they get to see the Donald. Pretty bizarre stuff .

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I've never seen anything like it in American politics. I'm having to watch many people in my own family just completely brainwashed. I get wanting to validate your vote, and stick up for your vote, but its at a completely new level now.

Today on CNN there was some interviews with Trump supporters on him bringing back manufacturing jobs, and the response was "We just give him credit for trying".... like are you freaking kidding me? I might deserve credit for trying to swim across crocodile infested waters, but that doesn't mean that it was an intelligent thing to do that I should be rewarded for. Manufacturing jobs are killed by automation and soon to be robotics. How about giving him credit when he is even aware of real issues, and can come up with informed & intelligent solutions. That's just one area of lunacy surrounding his support for him nonsensical agenda.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some people just want to point to the scoreboard.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure that's fair. I don't see people celebrating low approval levels. If there are some its an outlier. But having the lowest approval ever in modern US history is a big deal and needs to be discussed & reported on.

Because it means a few things-

A. The notion that most of the country doesn't align with Trumps Nationalist far right agenda is continually validated. I think it gives progressives comfort that their values are not alien in this country. The fact is, the ideals of our leaders don't match the majority of our Country which is a big deal.

B. It means that Republicans, as they see the potential of themselves losing their power in the mid terms, will start to heavily moderate Trump & hold him accountable which many would find to be a good thing.... you know... accountability for the powers that be. Checks and balances are a good thing for our Democracy. If he improves without that being necessary, that's a good thing too.

C. Could gives some humility to the most ego-centric President known to man, and lead him to change somewhat (not holding out hope for a 70 year old with narcissistic tendencies to change much), but even the most vibrant Trump supporter, I'd hope, would welcome a more humble President Trump who isn't tone deft to the United States as a while.

As the previous poster you were quoting said, Donald Trump is the President of the United States.. that's Democrats too. Its a two way street. He has yet to reach out seriously to the left and bridge the gap. Just yesterday insulted those giving grief to their representatives at local Town Halls. I for one see it as a positive that his approval rating isn't going UP when he's doing such a poor job thus far. As it goes down, it will force him to improve and be held more accountable. Doesn't mean I and others are celebrating it, but its worth analyzing and showing how objectively things can go based on the data we have.

London'sBurning likes this.
  9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

People are sick and tired of the media, politicians, and many other status quos, etc... and it's making them overlook Trump's faults. Also, he's seen as the protagonist and the media the antagonist. He's an antihero, our modern day Don Quixote.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

There will be times to truly criticize Trump because hes an emotional, irrational, blowhard, but watching the left b**** and moan about harmless/meaningless events delegitimizes authentic criticism. I just listened to lefties in another thread tell me that Trump mentioning Sweden's rape and violent crimes issues was a 'massive **** up' and a 'foreign affairs nightmare' . this is a joke. Little of what has done so far should of been criticized, except blocking green card holders for a day.

Astrodome and ipaman like this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Now who's being disingenuous? The "massive f*** up" and "foreign affairs nightmare" comment was made before Trump's pathetic attempt at justifying his comment. It was a stupid thing to say, period. How f***ing hard is it to say, "and in Sweden, they're having issues with increased crime and rape blah blah blah," instead of saying there was a specific incident the night before?

You can't have a president with whom we all have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. It's almost as if he actually does require a real life bulls*** translator like the fictional Key & Peele Obama Anger Translator

12. NewRoxFan

This rightwing defense of Trump would be more believable if (1) you did criticize Trump at least once and (2) you didn't consider all things as "harmless/meaningless events".

For example, I have yet to see any criticism when Trump and hid direct spokespeople outright lied to the public. I haven't seen any criticism of his reversals on releasing tax returns and relinquishing involvement in his businesses. I have yet to see any criticism of any of his cabinet nominees, even after one was fired for discussing current and future sanctions with Russian government officials and then outright lying about those conversations. Simply put, I have have not seen any criticism of anything he has done. And you can't possibly consider these things "harmless/meaningless events."

13. tallanvor

who was harmed by these events? also 90% of the **** you lefties call 'lies' are just you misinterpreting what was said or being super anal and nitpicky.

You are kind of proving my point with the stuff you want criticized.

14. NewRoxFan

Thank you for proving my point. And to think you didn't vote for Trump... :rolleyes:

15. tallanvor

so who was harmed?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I have family members who are Trump supporters and it's the same thing. I don't like arguing politics with family, so as far as they know I'm still a Republican, but occasionally I will casually make a joke about what an unqualified imbecile Trump is and their response is always something to the effect of "well, at least it's not Hillary!"

Either that, or they talk about how great it is that Trump "speaks his mind" or "doesn't have a filter" which is essentially saying that him being an imbecile is a GOOD thing instead of a bad thing.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#57 zeeshan2, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you've shown a complete lack of understanding of what creates foreign affairs situations.

First we should all agree that Trump creates the anger over BS by lying about BS stupid stuff. Lying about crowd size is all on Trump. He's the one who lied about it. When the President tells out and out lies that's going to be news and gain coverage. Trump talks about what's important to him. When he decides that, the media will cover it. Trump lies about stupid stuff, and yes they are actual lies.

You had no idea why the leader of Sweden might be upset that the leader of the free world is acting like something happened in Sweden, and then explains it by saying he was talking about a misrepresentative documentary. Until you can start to grasp those things, I believe this thread would be better off ignoring your take on foreign affairs screw ups.

#58 FranchiseBlade, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    R0ckets03 likes this.
  19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You might first want to step out of your liberal echo chamber. You might discover you are actually the one being brainwashed...

20. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Who was harmed? The government of Sweden made to look incompetent because of a BS lie. And I'm sure there are idiots in Sweden who will believe the BS just like there are idiots in this country, or on this forum, or in this thread, not naming names, will swallow that BS. And now you have a foreign government confused and pissed at us.

But whatever. **** foreign gubermints. **** foreigners. Amirite?