1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump and Culture

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimbaud, Jul 6, 2018.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can choose to ignore the political jabs - Eggers obviously wants Trump to look as bad as possible - but I think the main point should not be ignored. Culture is important and has long been showcased and praised (even if not robustly financially supported) by every White House in history. But not this one.

Creation and the creative impulse is one of the main things that defines us as humans and separates us from other animals. I, therefore, see this as a big deal.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/29/opinion/dave-eggers-culture-arts-trump.html

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Great truth in this piece -- thanks for sharing.

"Every great civilization has fostered great art, while authoritarian regimes customarily see artists as either nuisances, enemies of the state or tools for the creation of propaganda."

That's a very interesting statement; I can't think of any counter-examples.

R0ckets03 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

The Soviets did love their classical music and opera, but even that was mandated to have certain state-approved themes.

Thanks for posting, rimbaud.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They did. They also had numerous film and theater innovations that were, at times, supported by the government. Of course, it always had to carry a pro-government message.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

'Come and see' was one of the most glorious ww2 themed films I've seen, made by sovietz for sovietz also "shield and sword." one of Putin's favorites too.

Trump culture? I posted that van gogh painting he wanted to "borrow" from the museum. It's ugglay.

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't know that "glorious" is the word I'd use to describe it, "brutal" maybe, but it's a great movie.