1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True cord-cutting = no cord

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 2, 2023.

1. what

what Member

As an og cord cutter (I began in about 2003), I don’t want to hurt your feelings but until you decide to give up your obsession with sports (and perhaps) online video games, not to mention — windows and/or macs, you cannot cut the cord in any meaningful sense and it is only getting worse.

With the news that ESPN and charter spectrum tiff, this is bringing a lot of it to the shitshow that is streaming.

Right now, you cannot watch every baseball or basketball and football games without cable tv plus paramount+, Apple TV, NBA tv, and Amazon tv. And pretty soon, without a subscription to espn. And tack on an internet package.

The question is: why are you dealing with this ****.

True cord cutting is — in fact, what cord? That means, no cord at all. I myself am a semi-cord cutter, as I still have a data plan on my phone. Which is $40 a month.

Why spend $12 a month to watch the Mandalorian when you can just buy the physical copy and not have to deal with this ****.

Part of the reason I gave up the cord was because I was sick and tired of Comcast and their shitty customer service and policies.

Also, as an og, I don’t believe true cord cutting is viable or even able to exist. For me, I depend on my phone to maintain my cord cutting abilities. Since you need to be able to buy your entertainment and it is a lot easier to do that with an internet connection.

The best service and the most economical is Sirusxm. You get everything for $10 a month.

That is all.

ryan_98 and clos4life like this.
  2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It’s all about microfiche, dawg

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're still 'paying' for media with your time. Your time is worth something. Commercials, time and effort to work out wonky ways to circumvent using your money.

The biggest upsides to streaming services are no commercials and media on demand. I can watch or listen to what I want, when I want it, with no downtime (commercials). I don't even have to take the time to pop a DVD or CD in a player. It's a few buttons and I'm rolling.

4. Buck Turgidson

#4 Buck Turgidson, Sep 2, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

It’s almost impossible to totally cut all cords. Even if you live in a van on BLM land, you still have to upload your videos to YouTube.

ryan_98 likes this.
  6. what

what Member

The point of cord cutting was to save money.

The problem is that everyone wants sports on their streaming service and these leagues are going to the highest bidder, and the fact that there are streaming rights within streaming rights.

Again, sports are the death to all that is television. Instead of paying 80 a month for everything — 10 years ago, you need to spend about $300 to get everything.

$145 — direct tv, root sports.
    $100 — high speed internet.
    $12 — paramount+
    $14.99 — Amazon prime video
    $6.99 — Apple TV
    6.99 — nba tv

$286

This is just for all of your sports, and once ESPN leaves that will probably add another $30 a month for that.

$300 a month to watch sports that used to cost about $100 a month.

ryan_98 likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Cord cutting saved me time.

Time=money.

If you spent your free time working, that’s the value of your time. Let’s say $15/hr

Let’s take commercials. You consume 15 minutes an hour of commercials. That’s costing you 3.75/Hr to watch/listen to commercials. If you watch four hours a day, it’s $15. 7x15=$75 a week to consume commercials. Let’s say a month is four weeks. 4x75=$300. $300 a month to consume commercials.

If you pay for all of these services, which is $200 more than 10 years ago (never mind inflation), you’re up $100, and you’re saving time.

8. what

what Member

you could have bought a TiVo to save time. Right?

9. Xerobull

TF is this, 2002? DVR=set up recordings, FFW through commercials, locked into watching on home platform.

Cloud is better for convenience, stream on demand means I can stream anywhere, any time.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

1200 mbps internet (Xfinity) with unlimited data=$100

Disney, Hulu, ESPN + bundle (no ads) $20. Gets me Soccer, CFB-other college sports (Mostly secondary games). Boxing UFC.
    Paramount+/Showtime bundle ($11.99...No Ads, grandfathered price): NFL, CFB, Soccer (Women's, Champions League), College Basketball, Golf
    Peacock (free with cable internet...for now): Premiere League Soccer, NFL, MLB-Sunday morning, Golf, Olympic Sports.
    Max (free with AT&T Cell): National team soccer (men's and women's).
    AppleTV+ ($6.99): MLB, MLS. At some point, college football.
    Prime Video (part Amazon prime bundle.....$139 a year): NFL.
    Over the Air (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox) NFL, CFB, CBB, Soccer, Golf, MLB, NBA.
    SportsSurge (streaming sports indexer...mainly str****a*t): All sports, mainly used for Astros, Rockets, CFB, and random NFL games.

I am able to watch all the sports I want....in some way.

I would pay $10 a month for the main ESPN channels.

11. what

what Member

well, it sounds like you are a decent cord cutter. You were able to give up root sports, which is a big cost.

Now give up xfinity in favor of a phone plan. Possibly with a Samsung phone with dex on it. Keep your streaming packages. Hook your phone to your tv.

But I applaud you!!!!

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not giving up 1200 mbps plan with unlimited data for phone internet/wifi.
    Phone internet sucks. PC gaming and Xbox gaming in the house. No way I would go wireless internet alone. I ****ing hate Android. I have cell plans on iphones and an ipad pro.

13. what

what Member

so you are a gamer. There is no hope for you. Sad

14. Buck Turgidson

Why do you care?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Anyone else remember when @what used to start several threads about how awesome Windows was?

16. what

what Member

thoses were the days. I am so old I remember buying Windows 95 Annoyances, lol. And remember hacking the windows registry.

IBTL and Ubiquitin like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I wouldn’t say he is avoiding ATT/Sportnet (fyi: it’s not Roo anymore). He has chosen the pirating route for NBA games. But, Sportsurge is not a comparable quality stream to ATT or LP. Pirating is unreliable, especially if you want to watch on a large TV.

And this is coming from an OG user of sportsurge. I have no moral issue with pirating. But don’t try to tell me the quality of product is comparable.

18. Buck Turgidson

So why are we listening to you now?

19. what

what Member

Yeah, I used to watch basketball and other stuff on those crappy feeds, until I got tired of it.

My whole thing now is physical media. I am working on 4k movie collection. And buying my stuff to own my stuff. I haven’t subscribed to any streaming service in years. Ever since I gave up my home internet, which was probably 6 or more years ago. I enjoy collecting movies and shows from my past, which are all better than 90% of what is on television today.

4k movies are bad ass.

ryan_98, Ubiquitin and heypartner like this.
  20. body slam

body slam Member

I have an antenna and a radio. I get free TV and music if that counts. My main stream channels are youtube, CW, pluto, the hub and other free stuff.

I don't count internet against cord cutting since its become a important part of every day life and I use it for more than streaming.

ryan_98 likes this.