1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trindon Holliday Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Real Shady, Sep 10, 2012.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I love his play making ability as a returner, but he fumbles the ball way too much to return punts imo. I'm willing to let him continue as a KR because you have time to recover your fumble on a botched catch, but if you do that as a PR it's typically a turnover.

My prediction is someone else will be returning punts by the end of the year. Hope I'm wrong though.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His botched kick return yesterday, that led to the Texans starting at the 5 yard line, was enough to let me know that he's nothing more than a fast runner.

Bad hands, bad decision making (should have never thought about bringing that ball out of the end zone), and bad instincts.

I feel the return game/possessions are far too important to simply put your "fastest" guy back there and hope he can make something happen. For instance, Daniel Manning is not supremely "fast", but he's got great vision/instincts that would allow him to get far more average yards/return than Holiday.

3. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

It wasn't good yesterday, but it's one game. I'll start worrying if this trend continues next week.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd like to give him a little more time....but the stadium was groaning when he bobbled that one.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't know if I'm OK with him doing KRs if he's bobbling the ball a lot. I agree with the poster above. I'd rather have Manning do them.

6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Yeah he was absolutely awful yesterday. No gain on punts and never returned a kickoff past the 15. I would give him a few more weeks to see if he can redeem himself..

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not a good day to play a dud. Home opener with a chance to energize the crowd plus the team gave up a punt return touchdown on the other end.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not want Manning on punts. The Texans just aren't deep enough at Safety. Martin...I have same fears as Holliday. I don't worry so much about kickoffs as the Texans shouldn't have too many and there is time to recover if he does fumble kick.

9. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

He absolutely cannot have another performance like yesterday. A good team (i.e. not the Dolphins) would've been able to capitalize and force a turnover.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

What they should do is rotate between Holliday, Demps, and Martin. Each player is fresh and if you have to cut Holliday, you have some experience with martin.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In a 16 game season, you don't have the luxury of giving a guy a "few more weeks"... when one of his mistakes could definitely dictate the outcome of a game.

If I had the choice between having a potential fumble/bobble that leads to either a turnover or bad field position with a slight chance of a TD based on pre-season results only... vs no returner at all... give me the latter.

Had Jacoby Jones made these sort of mistakes, he never would have been returning punts in the playoff game last year.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think he'll bounce back and produce for us but I'm still wishing we brought in Eddie Royal.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i like him as back there but he's going to cost us a couple of TD's, if not a game.

14. Buck Turgidson

In all my years of watching and playing football, I had never seen that happen until yesterday. Bennie Hill-style comedy.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

When he made the final roster, I got a little worried he would come back down to earth.

Just one game, but I hope he wasn't just a preseason phenomenon.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

small hands is not your friend. . .

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He could go on and have several TD returns, but if he keeps bobbling the ball at this pace I would not trust him returning kicks/punts in the playoffs.

18. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Def had a bad showing, but so the guys blocking for him were just as bad. He shouldn't be trying to dodge the first defender at the 10 yard line.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He will if he bobbles or HESITATES (which he did on every return).

20. Precision340

Precision340 Member

he's trying too hard.. someone needs to tell him it's okay to stay in the end zone