1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Savannah, Georgia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Garner, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Me and the gf are heading out to Savannah for a handful of days and i'm looking for suggestions. Its both of our first time out there and we anticipate a fair amount of down time to get out and explore.

Restaurants, outdoor activities, whatever....Suggestions, Clutchfans?

2. aggie87

aggie87 Member

my company is headquartered there...

its a great place for old people... very touristy, you can take drinks on boardwalk... cotton exchange has great food, I hit up a roof top bar with coworkers, toured the city squares, and walked the boardwalk

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Be sure to talk like the locals do

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jkM8hQESrP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I was there in June. Had lunch at Paula Deen's place, it was delicious.

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

You want to go to Georgia in the middle of August???? Is the Houston heat and humidity not enough for you?

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I was their recently...it was unbearably hot...

Since it sounds like you are there for a few days you should probably try to devote a morning to go to Mrs. Wilkes Dining room. I think it opens at 11, but the line probably starts at 10am or earlier. We go in line at about 10:30ish and didn't get in until noon. It's extremely popular and has good southern food served family style. When you get in they sit you down at a big table with other strangers and immediately start bringing out plate after plate of family style dishes that you just pass around the table.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Went there for a wedding as well as a stop off on the way to Augusta. It's a fun place for a couple days.

the boardwalk is extremely touristy and a bit trashy but worth a walk down with a drink. The restaurants were meh but the rooftop bar is a good view. But there are plenty of good restaurants elsewhere in the city so i'd venture to those.

Olde Pink House is very good. The downstairs bar is awesome and worth a separate stop at night but it is crowded.

Alligator Soul is also very good and they have a different selection of game

I enjoyed walking around the different squares. Lots of character.

The beach is a 35 minute drive or so. We only stuck our feet in but it seemed nice.

The Andaz Hotel is well located.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I love Savannah. We live about 3 hours west of there.

Good Pizza: Vinny Van Go Gos
    Good Beer: World of Beer (I realize it is a chain, but not close to me)
    Most popular Bar: Wet Willys
    My must eat: Seasons of Japan (Fast food Japanese, I ate it almost every day in college)
    Beach: Tybee is ok, and you can park for free at the public park just off the main road and walk to it. You can drink on the beach. I personally prefer going to Hilton Head Island (about an hour north), as the beach is nicer and more to do close to the beach, but same time more crowded. Jekyll Island (an hour south) is beautiful and more private. I love spending weekends there with my wife, especially at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel.

Unfortunately my favorite restaraunt there is now closed (Oyster Bar). I haven't found a new seafood place I love there yet. The Crab Shack on Tybee Island is good though. I got sick from Vic's, so I wouldn't eat there.

River Street is nice to walk, but has the same stuff most small town tourist areas have. The 2 candy shops and the Peanut Shop are probably the only stores I always go to. Wear appropriate shoes, as River St is made of cobblestone.

The town is very historic, and downtown area is very nice. The ghost tours are fairly popular, but I've yet to do one.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Lady and Sons is the name. Line gets pretty long there. Haven't been since her controversy.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Take one of the Ghost tours if you or your girlfriend are in to that sort of thing - Savannah is supposed to be one of the most haunted cities in the U.S.

11. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

We went to Hilton Head the first week in July and did a day trip to Savannah. I wish we would've had at least one night in Savannah so we could've done one of the ghost tours. Cool little town. We did the hop on/off bus with Old Town Trolley tours to get an overview of the city. I'd suggest that since you will be there multiple days. City has lots of history and is haunted.