1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel Advice] Denver, Boulder,Mountains,Estes Park, cheyenne wyoming, laramie wy etc

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IBTL, Apr 2, 2013.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Going to denver and appreciate any advice. Looks like for downtown its 16th street. I'm not sure what else downtown.

Anything else to 'see' in denver proper?

What about Boulder is that worth going to? I assume as a college town there is some street where all the bars are? What is the deal with Boulder? Strip clubs in denver boulder etc?

Also what about hiking trails? This is later this month so what about some waterfalls and nice mountains? Is estes park cool? I would like to go on a nice mountain trail and have a nice view. Can you help me? I am open to any mountain area in the area. I just want a nice beautiful mountain trail. I am using yosemite/alaska/switzerland as my reference point so I want to know if colorado is up to par, Name your best vista point/

what about cheyenne wy? is that a nice drive to cheyenne from denver? Is laramie cool? Is that trip to cheyenne even worth the drive?

Rep for all fwiw.

What about green smoke? I have an expired mj recommendation recommendation from california. I bet that wont work. So besides hiding it in my chode what is the deal with getting it in denver ? anyone? Is there some kind of denver weed park now that it is legal? Look for the rasta guy right? bother heyschweetie?

lots of questions. thanks

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Denver's Tattered Cover Bookstore is a must.

[​IMG]

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Mile High's within walking distance of 16th Street Mall if that interests you at all. Still kicking myself for not catching the Astros in Denver several years ago when I was there for work.

Lot of restaurants/microbreweries both on and off of 16th Street Mall as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if you are looking for good hiking i would recommend rocky mountain national park, just outside of estes park.

1 person likes this.
  5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Lived in Boulder a couple years. It's a great place to visit. Check out Pearl Street for some food, bars, and shops.
    Hiking in Boulder is easy, check out Chautauqua, right off Baseline Road. Also, feel free to be creepy and drive by JonBenet Ramsey's house. It's off Baseline and 15th I believe, just do a google search. It was for sale last time I checked.
    [​IMG]

I was just there last Fall and hiked The Loch trail in Estes Park. A great there and back trail, even my wife who doesn't really enjoy hiking had a good time. Couple of waterfalls with a lake at the end. We brought lunch with us and ate on a large, flat rock overlooking the lake. Dont forget to bring plenty of water!
    http://www.protrails.com/trail/rocky-mountain-national-park-the-loch

[​IMG][​IMG]

Check out Avery Brewery if you like beer, in Boulder. Unlike some local Houston breweries, they have a bunch of their beers on tap. Neat little place. My fav is Salvation.

As for smokes, it's not hard in Boulder, just find a random college kid playing hackie sack.

1 person likes this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

For Denver, 16th street is the big street, but lots of bars in the LoDo area too (Brothers, Lodo's, the Tavern, etc) just a few blocks away. Also a Few breweries downtown including Great Divide and Wynkoop.

Pearl Street and the Hill are the 2 spots to hang out in Boulder. Lots of great bars in both places. The Sink and West End Tavern are musts. The Sink is the oldest bar in Boulder and West End has an amazing selection of beers from top end domestic breweries (and AMAZING Bourban milkshakes). Great dive bars include The Catacombs, Pearl Street Pub, Connor O'Neils and The Sundowner. Half Fast on the Hill is also a great place to drink a pitcher on a warm afternoon on the patio. As for food, I'd recommend Salt, my fav restaurant in Boulder. Also, for breakfast, go to The Buff and order saddlebags, you'll thank me later. There's a great farmers market on Saturdays and Wednesdays. I'm not a huge hiker but Chautauqua is right in Boulder and you can hike the Flat Irons from there and its got great views from the top.

I'd skip Wyoming personally, you can drive just as far and be in a great mountain town in Colorado.

Weed can be gotten easily, especially in Boulder, so I wouldn't worry about that

1 person likes this.
  7. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Why go to clubs when we have them here?

Go enjoy the outdoors and the view. When I went last year to the Texans vs Denver game we stayed in Winter Park, Co. It's about an hr west of denver but well worth it you have to pass Berthhound pass(Rockies) my girl was freaked out lol. They have everything there sking slopes, white water rafting, horseback riding, bike riding, 4 wheeling, natural hot water springs....
    I recommend it.

8. RocketBlood

Oh you must go to at the Contenintal Divide!! Bad ass scene do not miss it or you will regret it.

1 person likes this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Walk down 16th...grab a beer...walk over to Coors Field and catch a game.

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Bear Lake in RMNP. This is where the wifey and I got engaged. Probably on one of those rocks. Went during a spring break and the pond was half frozen. Was seriously concerned about bears sneaking up on us. Very beautiful spot.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm in Estes Park once or twice a year. There are tons of hikes, of varying difficulty level. I've done maybe 80% of the major trails on the Eastern slope, and a few here and there on the Western side.

If you like hiking you will have plenty of options.
    It's also a good spot for fly fishing.

The Dunraven Inn used to be a must stop for dinner, but ownership changed a few years back and it just doesn't "feel" the same. I'd recommend the Rock Inn as a solid choice in a locally kind of feel - good beers, too.

1 person likes this.
  12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I proposed on the Divide at Loveland Pass.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

If you're into good whiskey, the whiskey bar at the Stanley is pretty cool. Normally, I would recommend Mt Evans, but it's not open yet all the way to the top.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I've been to Colorado 4 times in the last ten years and it's beautiful! I've always gone in the winter since I have a deep
    fascination with snow(we don't get any in Houston). If you're going to stay in Denver there are many places within a
    2hr drive worth visiting. I don't spend too much time the city, if I want urban scenery that's what the big apple is for.

1) Estes Park is gorgeous, there are many hiking trails to navigate and if you like there are even cabins that you can rent.
    There are many Elk and Big HornSheep along with deer all over the place and these animals are use to humans roaming
    around so there not scared of you! You can actually take a picture in the middle of a herd (or fairly close)! They have a
    beautiful lake and many small streams all over the place.
    90min. drive north from Denver

2)Pikes Peak is the tallest peak is one of 4 mountain peaks over 14,000ft. You can drive your vehicle all the way to the
    top or you can ride the cog rail, I've done both and driving can be a little precarious to say the least! The first 3/4 is smooth
    driving but that last 1/4 your going on a sever incline and there are no guardrails and you also have to share the road with
    cars either going up or down. At the top there are spectacular views but can be very cold as the winds are pretty severe.
    Once there is a restaurant/souvenir shop.
    90min. drive south of Denver

3) Garden of the Gods is a very nice National Park where there are beautiful red clay rock formations it't a nice place for
    pictures and hiking and is one of the better place to go rock climbing.
    90min. drive south of Denver

4) Vail colorado is 2hrs west if you want go skiing or if you want to hang out with the rich and famous Aspen is 3hrs west
    also. The drive from Denver to either of these place is spectacular! It really is a beautiful state!

1 person likes this.
  15. body slam

body slam Member

if its warm enough go white water rafting

Blackhawk gambling

1 person likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I will just point out just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Elk do attack occasionally, especially when people who don't know what they're doing get too close.

Yes, you can get very close to them in EP. Heck, you can play golf right through them on the golf course... but be careful

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree, thanks for clarifying.:)

18. RocketBlood

Oh and dont buy beer from the grocery store in colorado it's watered down!