1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Traffic] Why are they adding more lanes to 288?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Trust... 1) Houston is no worse than most big cities and 2) more lanes always helps. The Loop has 2 1/2 non-exiting southbound lanes @ 59. Who in the world thought that was sufficient? The last expansion took over 5 years to finish and all they did was stack a couple of exits. Choke City visions

Houston's public trans is trash - no argument there. The rail we do have is a blooper - poorly planned and built.

#21 Houstunna, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

When this project was first announced, didn't care for it since it wasn't part of my work commute

fast forward to now, got laid off that job April '17, new job started last November where my commute is from 288S/Hwy 6 to Spring Branch with normal 8-5pm schedule is now affecting my commute. I didn't think 288 was bad during rush hour, but hell, it's worse than 610/Galleria area on the days I don't use the Beltway to get to work

glad they are adding more lanes on 288 but sucks they are toll lanes

bugs the hell out of me that Waze reports "Construction Ahead" even though it'll be till 2020.....

3. Buck Turgidson

The toll-road fetish is not going to last longer.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The additional lanes from tolls will help ALL traffic.

I just hope they upgrade from 2 "free" lanes under 610. Again.. Who thought TWO was sufficient?

There's many highway blunders across America. Some are just more unexcusable than others, and Houston has plenty.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

It should help A little bit on the free lanes. But, let's face it, if traffic is moving on the free lanes then no one will use the pay lanes. So, I expect the toll road authority will want the free lanes to be clogged enough to entice drivers to pay the toll.

I still expect a slow crawl during rush hour on the free lanes. Keep in mind that more people move out here everyday.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You're an idiot.

It's been a year now, but this entrance is a total disaster. It creates a bottleneck (5 lanes into 3) at the busiest part of the Pierce Elevated - heading South towards the 288 exit.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

The double merge? Did you really think people in houston knew how to merge at highway speeds?