1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Possabilities - Cowboys/Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by BanginScrew, Jan 7, 2003.

1. drapg

drapg Member

I can see him drafting a young stud qb this year (Leftwich or Manning) and setting up the Cowboys for one of the coordinators he is bringing in. The Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator is being mentioned about as a possibility to move to Dallas, only if Fox can replace him with the offensive coordinator with the New York Giants. This is a pretty good probability, given that Fassel has taken over offensive play calling duties and succeeded, rendering the guy is virtually useless now.

Anyways, I could easily see him set up the franchise to be taken over by one of his coordinators, as he did in New England with Belichick and Johnson did in Miami with Wannstadt.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dallas already hired their offensive coordinator.

For someone who follows sports so much, you really don't know a lot do you? :rolleyes: :p :D

3. drapg

drapg Member

Doh! I missed that. Can you provide a link please?

edit: never mind I found it.

I watched ESPNNews for 8 hours yesterday and didn't see one mention of this. Damn I suck.

edit2: so I guess you can replace the Carolina offensive coordinator with Carthon in my original thoery. Thanks for keeping my on my toes RM95.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's what I'm here for!

5. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Parcells has already been talking about changing the type of players he has on this team (specifically the LB's).

It's no secret that Parcells covets big linebackers in the mold of LT, Carl Banks, and Brian Cox. He has said that he wants to eventually switch to a 3-4 defense however he won't be able to do so until he gets the right kind of personell.

Len Pasquarelli (ESPN) also wrote an article stating that both Dat Nguyen, and Dexter Coakly are on the trading block.

Judging by his interviews I also get the strong impression that Parcells is not that fond of Hutchinson. Parcells has said that his first priority (after putting his staff together) is to evaluate the QB position. He said that in all of his previous stops he has been able to solidify the QB position within two years. In NY he inherited Phil Simms, in New England he drafted Bledsoe #1 overall, and in NY he brought in Vinny, and also drafted Pennington in the first round.

He also said that he expects his QB to first and foremost ... Not turnover the ball, and get the ball in the end zone ... after he watches film of Hutch he will notice that Hutch as zero pocket presence, and fumbles way too much. David Carr was sacked twice as much as Hutchinson yet he has less than half as many fumbles compared to Hutch.

I wouldn't be suprised at all (in fact I would be extremely happy) if Dallas ended up drafting Leftwich, and then also bringing in a guy like Warner, Brunnell (rumor has it he's going to get cut), or Plummer to "hold the fort" while Leftwich learns the game. Leftwich would be prepared to start by his second season (which also happens to be the year Parcells expects to make some serious progress).

Parcells has already hired Maurice Carthon as Offensive Coordinator (although he may not actually call the plays on game day), and has said that he expects to add one more "High Profile" offensive mind to his staff by the end of the month to be QB's coach/Assistant Head Coach. Rumor has it the guy he wants is Tom Coughlin.

6. drapg

drapg Member

I've heard rumors that Parcells wants to bring Cox in as a coach.

He played last year in New Orleans, I believe.

I just can't imagine someone as temperemental as Cox being a leader and molder of young men, especially given his past history.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

the cowboys can't afford to tie up that much money in the QB position; it'll be one or the other: bring in a vet or draft a rookie. he'll bring in a vet.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

When WAS the last trade in the NFL? The Herchel Walker deal?

9. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Nah, the BLOCKBUSTER Joey Galloway deal. The one that immediately made the Cowboys contenders, remember?

10. drapg

drapg Member

I'm assuming he meant trades in which players were involved on both ends.

Most NFL trades involve a player for draft picks.

I can't think of another player for player trade since the infamous Walker deal. The outcome of that trade for Dallas probably has a lot to do with that.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

the texans traded danny wuerfuel for jerry deloach last year.

12. drapg

drapg Member

I stand corrected.

13. tigereye

tigereye Member

Wrong !!! Belichick was supposed to replace Tuna as the JETS new head coach. But the two had a dissagrement and Belichick left town to become the head coach for the rival Pats. The guy who took over for Tuna at New England was Pete Carroll. He left the Pats for the USC Trojans in the Pac 10.

14. drapg

drapg Member

OK, I mixed up the teams. But I assume you get the gist of it?

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

You gotta be kiddin me!!!! The whole reason why Kurt Warner is unhappy in St Louis is that his job is on the line and he doesnt want to be a backup. Marc Bulger went 6-0 and now Martz thinks he is the future of this team cuz he is younger and can get the job done. So your telling me Kurt Warner will leave the Rams for Dallas and he will except the fact that he will have his starting Job taken away form him in 1 season like he faces in St Louis right now ? Think befroe you post!!! Unless Dallas can offer him a long term contract and he is assured he will have the reins of the offense for a long time to come, the only way he will come to Dallas is with the opposing team. Plus tha Bears are at 4 and they need a QB. Apparantly, Leftwich will be that QB. And what are you guys gonna do with the the guy who last year was supposed future of the Cowboys, Quincy Carter!!!! If they do draft a QB (Which I think is a mistake. They need an OL to protect their QB) it will be Banks from Iowa or Dorsey from Miami.

( P.S. have the Rams completely forgot that they still have Heisman winner Eric Crouch on the roster even if he has retired? He retired cuz they wanted him to be a wideout and he wanted to be QB. If they offer him a shot at QB, he would come back. He has said this before on ESPN.)

16. tigereye

tigereye Member

wait a sec, who is at 4 in the Draft. I think I am wrong bot the Bears position in this draft

17. drapg

drapg Member

In my opinion, Banks is not NFL material. I can't see any team seriously drafting the guy with the idea of envisioning him as a future starting quarterback in the league.

Dorsey has potential, but Banks? Nope.

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

Nevermind, Bears are at 4 and Leftwich will be there pick cuz Jim Miller sucks

19. tigereye

tigereye Member

I argree with you all the way but the guy was in the Heisman race and JJ likes those big names.

20. tigereye

tigereye Member

Personally, I would draft Jordan Gross OL from Utah. He is th best O lineman in the draft, can protect your QB, and open lanes for the running game. Face it, the boys Offensive line sux and they need help. If you want a good offense and a winner, this is the route you go.