1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Exemptions for Asik / Lin - if any?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jch1911, Jul 11, 2014.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Bimathug, Ballholic, et. al.

What / how much would the Rockets get in trade exemptions if Asik & Lin are moved for cap space / picks?

I was thinking that may have been part of Morey's plan to fill in some of the bench roles using the trade exemptions - alas the new NBA CBA is not my forte.

Sorry if this is redundant... I didn't see it addressed any place in the GARM.

If it has been, please post the link and lock this thread.

Thanks in advance.

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Well since it has happened Lin to Lakers and Asik to Pelicans... can somebody answer this question for me now?

Once again, thanks in advance!

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

They need that to sign bosh

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Okay, I thought an exemption would be created when you trade a player and don't bring back any salary.

That is, the exemption would still exist even if you signed a player with the now available cap space.

But thanks, AvgJoe!

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

It would be, if we don't sign anyone. We would hold that exemption, we can trade it if we want. Just my understanding anyway.

6. haydenfisher342

houston has 2, 8 mil trade exeptions dont we?

7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

That's what I was trying to figure out... but it doesn't look like it (see above post)

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We have 1 8.3m exception for Lin trade.
    Asik trade isn't finalized, but won't be for nothing in return, looks like it will be for non guaranteed contracts. So not sure how that will work?

We keep TPE no matter what I think? So sign bosh, still have 8.3m

The tricky part is the hard cap, cant add salary over that amount if we use a room exception

9. jch1911

jch1911 Member

If we do end up with the $8M Trade Exemptions (2 of them), it would be conceivable to prey away a vet that wants to play for a contender and another team wants to get rid of their salary... such as...
    F E. Ilyasova (MIL)
    G J Richardson (PHI)
    F Chuck Hayes (TOR) - TOR may be contender in East
    F Tayshuan Prince (MEM) - MEM still a contender, but may look to shed salary
    G/F Courtney Lee (MEM) - see above; wasn't he good friends with DH12???
    G/F Kevin Martin (MIN)
    F Carl Landry (SAC)

Several former Rox on that list, but could be solid contributors to a playoff team ;)

10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Sorry I meant *pry not prey (although Morey may be preying on those other teams) ;)