1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade CP3 and rebuild or embrace the "win now" strategy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Dec 10, 2018.

?

Trade Chris Paul and his enormous contract while we can?

1. yes, move him sooner than later; rebuild around Harden and Clint

93 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. no, be patient; we'll be back in the WCF next year

48 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Chris Paul is locked up for 3 more years after this one, with an average annual salary of $40-$41 million (roughly one third of our team salary). He's 33 years old and his history of injury problems is well documented. Signing CP3 was a win-now deal, but we are on pace to win 30 something games this year, wasting a valuable year of his star potential. Meanwhile, we aren't just a move or two away from contending, and we don't have any cap flexibility to add an impact free agent.

So, is it time to think proactively about a mini-rebuild around our two youngest stars: James Harden and Clint Capela? Does it make sense to trade CP3 now, while his contract is not a negative asset, or does it make sense to continue with the win-now strategy ...knowing we are really far away from getting back to the WCF?

JoeBarelyCares and hakeem94 like this.
  2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Which team would CP3 be a positive asset for at 40 million. Maybe Toronto if they want to go all in, but even that is unlikely.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

No one is going to trade for Chris Paul. We need to accept this fact/fate as it is.

EDIT: Sorry. Don't want to be a hypocrite but just like what @daywalker02 stated below, trading Paul is going to be very hard.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both options are interesting enough. The fact that the West is bad, opens up opportunities.

CP's contract is tough to move.

It took the Rox a year to move Ryno's contract.

Not that I am recommending it moving Capela would be easier. Without CP3, Capela only has Turn Over Guy Harden to lob him the ball.

I'd rather tank than giving up anyone that soon. Wait till the offseason. Bench the stars.

#4 daywalker02, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Der Rabbi likes this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If they don't get it together soon, I'd absolutely look to trade him. When we gave him that contract, we were banking on the fact that he had at least 2 or 3 more years of last year's level of play left in him. It's becoming more and more obvious as the season goes on that his impact on the team is already greatly diminished from last year.

I'd give him more time, but still.

varughese.arun and tc0330 like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

This morning I was thinking something like this,

Trade Paul/Knight for any 3 contracts in the west.

Trade Paul/Knight for any 3 contracts with 20 million expiring in the east.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I would absolutely entertain a CP trade that brought us back a couple of picks and a couple of young players. But nobody is that dumb these days. Most likely, CP has 1-2 productive years left and then 1-2 mediocre years. That isn't worth a max to anyone except someone like the Rockets.

bilaal14 and BigShasta like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some of his money goes to making Harden a better player and a better ball handler. Less TOs and a valid babysitter during the playoffs.

Gets him the Max for 2 years, he does not deserve a 4th year, the 3rd year is arguable/looking worse by the minute.

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Ask me this question in the WCF, I would agree wholeheartedly.

Ask me now, when I watch this garbage team lose winnable games over and over, and I honestly don't know.

Last time I was this disgusted with the Rockets was 15-16. Before that, probably the "Toronto" game with McGrady. Before that, the Pippen season. It doesn't happen often that I become completely disillusioned with our guys.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True dat, man. Feel the same.

bulkatron likes this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

IF we could get a nice deal for CP3 I would do it. It's time to salvage Harden's remaining elite seasons of play.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Huh? In what way is that contract not a negative asset?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Seriously, who the hell is lining up to take that deal or give you something positive in return?

If you're just swapping bad contract for bad contract(s), I'm probably just gonna keep Chris then.

(No, LeBron/Lakers will not bail Houston out.)

#14 J.R., Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  15. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Resigning CP for 4yrs $160 mil has and will continue to cripple this franchise.

Finding a team willing to take on that contract for that production will be as hard or harder than finding a trade partner for Ryan Anderson was.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I don' think a GM after 50 beers would make that trade. Was a good laugh though.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so just to clarify, i don' think that every team in the league would be dying to take on Cp3's contract. As another poster referenced, it won't be easy. But if you are the Denver Nuggets (who are #3 in the west) and you think you are close to contending, and you think a vet superstar PG could get you to the next level, there's a chance a deal could get done.

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why not?
    Rockets trade $190 million for $135 million salaries. Tilman saves $55 million plus luxury tax.
    If Johnson and Dragic opt out, Tilman would save 90 million plus luxury tax.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Nuggets could also get a Millsap replacement, his substitute.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not want Whiteside back though, he is a good player now but he isn't young enough for us to jump over the fence.

I do not like his contract.