1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toyota Center Banners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nick, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I see the Toyota Center is still devoting a large chunk of banner space to two teams that no longer exist (the Comets and Aeros). it should also be mentioned that neither team won those championships in that building.

Meanwhile, the Rockets get their four conference championship banners condensed into one single banner... along with the division championship (which I don't really care about).

Would be nice if they got rid of the Comets/Aeros "over the top" banner space and let the Rockets achievements be better represented, and more spread out.

EDIT: I guess the Aeros banners are now gone.... and that space sits empty.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Aeros banner aren't there anymore.

Comets banners are still there.

Rockets have two banners and some division stuff. On the other side, they have players. What would you suggest?

I'd suggest more championship banners.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree with Kam. There needs to be more Championship banners.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Take it back. They aeros got to the finals in 2011. I went to a game.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

De-consolodate the conference championship banner (that is more than just "division stuff").... get rid of the Comets banners entirely (what purpose do they serve?... the team doesn't exist).

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly my point... their conference championship got "celebrated" more-so than the Rockets ones.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

haha! agreed!

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need a banner for most consecutive 1st round losses.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

The Astros also (predictably) botched their presentation of banners at Minute Maid for a while. They changed it this year, and it finally looks much better.

I agree though, the banners at Toyota Center always feel like they're hidden.

I would love if we decked out our stadium in yellow and red and just went back to those colors. Would be so cool.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They serve to stroke Les's ego, since he owned the team when they won. I'm sure he is still hanging onto his rings and trophies too, like most of us would probably do if we owned a team that won something.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They should move the Comets banners into the main Lobby or something. They can still display them, but they definitely don't need to be in the rafters with the real acolades.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well the team went out of business and had to fold... Don't know why he'd want a constant reminder of a failed business.

I agree that you could put them on display somewhere else in the building... But save the rafters for real teams with real accomplishments that aren't being properly displayed.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only "banner" that the Astros should be displaying is their 2005 pennant. Not sure why they have wild card champion or division series champion banners.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wait...the Comets are defunct?

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

The Aeros don't exist anymore? :(

16. SemisolidSnake

I've always thought that the Rockets banners are a little sparse, but that doesn't mean that I think we should in any way take down the Aeros or Comets banners. They were the two most successful teams in either arena. Just because they don't exist anymore doesn't mean we shouldn't honor the success of past Houston teams. It's history.

Also, the Aeros had banners up from both their more recent IHL/AHL incarnation AND their old WHA incarnation side-by-side. I thought that was neat, acknowledging the two generations. Plus, Houston retains the rights to the Aeros name, so hopefully sooner rather than later there will be a third Aeros incarnation.

I also think it would a huge shame to sweep under the rug the legacy of the the team that won the first four WNBA championships and had the first WNBA MVP.

There's plenty of space. I'd put up banners for the other two Rockets conference titles in '81 and '86, and then I think we're squared away. We might might as well have one professional venue that's a monument to success within in it; the baseball and football teams certainly haven't their share.