1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tourist Advice- NYC with kids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by white lightning, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Well, really one kid. I have a trip to the east coast and will have about 3 extra days, so I'm taking my 11 year old boy with me. We're flying into Baltimore- where my business is, but will drive up to NYC for 3 weekdays. I've never been to NYC where I'm responsible for driving accomodations, and getting around town, so I really have no clue where to stay, how to get around etc.

Is it better to park somewhere outside Manhattan and take some form of mass transit into the city? Should I just park the car in a Manhattan garage for the 3 days and get around by foot?

I'm checking out a few Manhattan hotels on line- but anything under $200 has questionable ratings. Should I stay outside the city and drive in each day?

For activities, I have the Nat History Museum, and probably a harbor cruise. He'll want to see big buildings too. Is it worth it to go to the statue of liberty, or does this take too much time? Any museums or other places of interest for a kid?

The trip came up on short notice, so I won't have that much time for research, so any advice helps. Esp. about getting around town, parking, hotels etc.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Scores.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I stayed outside and took the subway everywhere. Coming from houston, such a comprehensive mass transport system is an incredible marvel to me. You can get everywhere with a subway pass.

Obviously, if you're going to be out really late, a cab might be preferable. I'd avoid ever using your car. It's a hassle to park in manhattan.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The Met is the greatest thing in NY. You could spend an entire day there.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Hassle? How about ridiculously expensive.

Also, NY drivers are very aggressive and there are no lanes. It's a free for all.

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

I like the Nat. History museum.
    Getting some good food would be nice.

7. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

That'd cost you about a hundred bucks and if it were me I'd be mildly concerned about my car the whole time. And driving in the city is really quite stressful - I think you'd have a better time with your kid if you avoided it whenever possible.

Not that New York's not a great place, it's just a greater place if you don't have to drive around it.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Central Park Zoo, Carousel, Boathouse
    NY Hall of Science (queens)
    Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock is better than Empire State)
    Toys R Us in Times Square
    FAO Schwartz
    NBA Store
    Take a Water Taxi instead of a harbor cruise... its cheaper, faster, and more fun

have fun, leave the car, take trains and busses

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I'd say just forget about renting a car and just book a hotel in Manhattan.. Sure itll be $200 or more but parking in a garage of 3 days cost you more than the money saved.. If you decide to cab it in and out of city, that'll eventually add up too. I would probably just get a hotel in the city and take subway around.. less hassle.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

please take everyone's advice and don't drive in the city- there is no need whatsoever. i have a car and know my way around and still think it's a gigantic pain in the arsicle. across110thstreet, gave you some places to go but i wouldn't, with the short time you are here, spend time in toy stores or queens :) check out the few touristy things that are highest on your list and go to CONEY FREAKING ISLAND before it's too late. the city has big plans to gentrify this place and that is a bad thing. unfortunately, the cyclone's season hasn't started yet or you could catch a ball game as well. anywho, it's awesome for the whole family, easily accessible via subway. thank me later. ;)

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I second that. I love that museum. Was only able to see a 1/3rd of it and that was me rushing around to see it all.
    Also, don't drive. Use the subway and cab when needed. Be prepared to walk though because of that and include the time to walk and wait for sub in your itinerary.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Word of advice about riding the subways. If you want to avoid looking like a tourist, ask one of the subway workers where to go. Look at the subway map posted next to the conductor's booth before getting on the train. Avoid looking at a pocket map of the subway at all costs.

13. white lightning

Thanks for the tip- I don't really know what to expect with the subway, so I'll try to memorize my route in advance.

Thanks for the advice about the water taxi also across110thst, I checked it out and it looked good. I'd like to check out a show, but I'm a little nervous about being out at 11pm looking for a way back to the hotel. That might be time to get a cab.

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

watch out for ******* taxi drivers,

oh wait... they were ALL assholes when I went there...

nevermind. :)

15. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

also, try and visit harlem/brooklyn.

it's really neat to see the strange fellows that live there.

just make sure you're in those double decker tour buses, otherwise, the ahh... how i say... chocolate faces will get you.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

... u're j/k right?

17. thegary

joking or not, you are a big freaking idiot.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

full day parking in manhattan will run you ~$36-$40/day. depending on your hotel, you may get a discount voucher that will save you a couple of bucks.

you might consider some of the hotels on the west side (my neighborhood) such as the beacon, on b'way and 74th. on the ave, on 77th, comfort inn on 71st. all are clean, altho the rooms will be small. they're also very close to the 72nd street subway stop, which is an express stop and 3 minutes to times square, and 20 minutes from almost anywhere in manhattan.

there are a couple of other hotels you might look at, quality inn over on 11th avenue in the forties, and the holiday inn chinatown.

by all means, use the subway, but also get out an walk! if the weather is nice, spend an afternoon in central park. a great day might start in chinatown with dim sum, head down toward the brookly bridge and walk to brooklyn. have a drink at the river cafe (i think that's the name) at the foot of the bridge on the brooklyn side, check out dumbo, then catch the water taxi back to manhattan. it makes several stops, but take it all the way to 44th street (west side) there you can grab a horse carriage, or perhaps a pedicab, and head back to your hotel. hit the top of the rock cafe for martinis as the sun sets.

19. thegary

damn right :)
    seriously, one of the most spectacular, AND FREE, things to do in ny.
    another free great thing: the staten island ferry.

20. white lightning

Just from looking online- Madison Hotel and Hotel Riverside Studios are pretty cheap, but have gotten some questionable reviews. Beacon looks nice, but around $250. Will check into the bridge walk...