1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tour de France

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rimrocker, Jul 3, 2004.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

15 seconds or more ahead of his main rivals... Lance looks good so far.

Saturday, July 3, 2004
    Armstrong second in opening event

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

LIEGE, Belgium -- Doubters take note: Lance Armstrong is not playing to lose.

Making an emphatic if not victorious start to his record-chasing Tour de France, Armstrong dealt key rivals a psychological blow by leaving them in his wake in the debut time trial on Saturday.

The Texan, seeking to become the first six-time Tour winner, cast off the stress and murmurs that he is past his prime by speeding to second place in the 3.8-mile prologue race against the clock in Liege, Belgium.

Only an exceptional ride by Fabian Cancellara, a Swiss rider nearly 10 years Armstrong's junior, deprived the 32-year-old five-time champion of a place atop the podium and the overall leader's yellow jersey he covets.

"I'm satisfied by the way I felt, but I'm disappointed to lose by only a couple of seconds. That's the way it goes," Armstrong told reporters after a congratulatory kiss from rocker girlfriend Sheryl Crow. "The most important thing, is how does it feel? I was very comfortable, I felt strong, and that feels good."

Armstrong was 15 seconds ahead of his main rival Jan Ullrich and left contenders Tyler Hamilton and Iban Mayo far behind, too. His performance was a strong start to what he fears will be his hardest Tour yet.

"It's just a start. They don't call it the prologue for nothing. It sets the tone of the race for the first week," he said. "There is a lot of dangerous racing to go. Just in three days, we have some sections of cobblestones, that if it rains and is windy, will be very dangerous."

Armstrong, who as defending champion started last of the 188 riders, pedaled furiously to finish just behind 23-year-old Cancellara, who declared himself "the happiest man in the world."

Ullrich, the 1997 Tour victor, was 16th. He still has three weeks to make up time, but still could rue the lost seconds if the race is tight. Last year, the German finished just 61 seconds behind Armstrong in Paris, runner-up for a fifth time.

Hamilton, a former Armstrong teammate, was 18th on Saturday, 16 seconds behind the Texan. Mayo gave up 19 seconds to the five-time champion, placing 26th.

Only Britain's Chris Boardman has ridden faster than Cancellara in the prologue event.

Boardman clocked an average speed of 34.194 mph in Lille, France, in 1994 and 33.599 mph in Dublin, Ireland, in 1998.

Cancellara, who competes for Italy's Fassa Bortolo team, rode at 33.207 mph through the crowd-lined streets of Liege. His win earned him the honor of wearing the leader's yellow jersey. Armstrong will be looking to wear that shirt himself when the Tour ends in Paris on July 25.

"We've seen already that Armstrong is in great form," Cancellara said.

After all the build-up, the speculation about whether Armstrong can win six times, the press interviews, medical checks and waiting for the start, riders were simply relieved to be under way.

"You go crazy sitting around in the hotel," said Armstrong teammate George Hincapie, who was 10th. "It's always a little stressful before the Tour. But it's important not to let that affect you. It's important to stay calm, relaxed, and to talk about fun things at the dinner table and keep everybody happy."

On Sunday, the riders embark on the first full stage, a 125.5-mile trek from Liege to Charleroi, also in Belgium. The route starts with a series of small hills but levels out toward the end - perfect for speedy sprinters who tend to dominate the relatively flat first week or so of the race.

Such muscular, heavier riders tend to labor in the mountains that come later in the race and are unlikely to pose a threat to Armstrong or others vying for the crown.

For the favorites, a key aim of the first week is to stay safe, avoiding crashes that are a constant hazard.

A dramatic pileup at the finish of Day 2 last year, when the field was speeding bunched together for the line, left Armstrong rival Hamilton with a double-fractured collarbone for the rest of the three-week race. He still finished fourth overall, however.

Tuesday's 130-mile stage from Waterloo to Wasquehal in France will take riders down cobblestone paths, tricky at the best of times and treacherous when wet. Not crashing will be the No. 1 goal for top contenders, who will likely work to stay toward the front, out of trouble.

"It's going to be a stressful week for sure," said Hincapie, competing in his ninth Tour. "It's important that you stay up front and be careful with the winds and be careful with the cobblestones."

Armstrong will look to further distance his challengers in the team time trial Wednesday, an exhausting and technical race against the clock that his U.S. Postal Service squad won for the first time last year.

New rules introduced this year limit the amount of time the winning team can gain over the squads behind them. Nevertheless, victory there could build Armstrong's cushion before the race heads to the climbs of the Massif Central and the Pyrenees in week two.

Then comes week three, with the Alps and two time trials, including one up a hellish, 21 hairpin-bend climb to the l'Alpe d'Huez ski station. Those last stages could decide who wins when the race rolls into Paris' crowd-lined Champs-Elysees.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I can't stand Armstrong. He is an arrogant prick.

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

What has he said or done to lead you to that conclusion?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, really. I've heard nothing but nice things about him. RM95's Girl met him at Hex Rally a few years ago and said he was extremely considerate.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SJC = German.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's his whole demeanor...the way he said after the last Tour that Ullrich did not really wait for him when that was clearly the case...etc.

I admire how he won his fight against cancer and he is a great athlete, but there is something about the guy that I cannot stand.

Of course, perhaps me being German and cheering for Ullrich might have to do with it, too ;).

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You've got Schumacher we've got Armstrong ~ every country needs at least one arrogant champion.

Actually Armstrong is a nice guy ~ not even in Schumacher's league of arrogance.

Don't be a...

[​IMG]

Jan 'Hasselhoff' Ulrich :rolleyes:

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I guess! :p
    Hey, the guy is from Austin. I've lived in Austin for 24 years. He's done more good things for charity then I can think of. His girlfriend is Sheryl Crow. Heck, I went to his fundraiser concert for cancer at the Paramount Theatre not long ago. (Lance was a no-show, but the concert was great and nobody gave a flip)

And so, SJC... Leave Lance Alone!! :D

(Ullrich is a weenie!!!)

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

His girlfriend is Sheryl Crow? Well then, he <b>must</b> be a nice guy! :p

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You see! :D

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Armstrong is also not in Schumacher's league of chin length...

[​IMG]

You have only one guy who can compete with that:

[​IMG]

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I guess you haven't met Jay "The Chin" Leno.

[​IMG]

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

True! I forgot about him! :eek:

Damn...what do I have to counter...

Well, we have got Tanja Szewczenko (figure skater)...she does not really have a LONG chin, but it is REALLY pointy!

[​IMG]

(By the way, if you google her name, you will find some "other" pictures of her as well ;)).

14. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Jan Ulrich taking it on the chin...

#14 KingCheetah, Jul 4, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Olympics 2000 in Sydney - where is Armstrong? :confused:

[​IMG]

Has Armstrong ever won an Olympic gold medal, as Ullrich did? :)

16. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Do Germans believe that an Olympic gold medal is more of an accomplishment than winning the Tour de France?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ullrich has done both :).

18. KingCheetah

MAN CRUSH

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Estonia's Kirsipuu wins first stage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

CHARLEROI, Belgium -- Lance Armstrong played it safe and Jaan Kirsipuu was the winner. It was mission accomplished for both riders in Sunday's first full stage of the Tour de France.

Saving himself for later stages, Armstrong finished comfortably back in the field. He is focused on winning a record sixth straight Tour, not scrapping for wins in the hazardous and fast-paced early stages of the three-week race.

A final all-out burst of speed secured Kirsipuu's victory in the 125.5-mile trek that featured roads turned treacherous by rain. There were crashes, crowds, wind, punctures and a mighty finishing sprint to contend with -- all factors that make the Tour's first week the part that Armstrong relishes least.

Armstrong finished 48th on Sunday and is third overall. He will be looking to secure victory in the mountain climbs and time trials that come later.

But for sprinters like Kirsipuu, an Estonian, the early stages are their strength, the reason why they come to the Tour even though they have no prospect of overall victory.

Muscling his way through a gaggle of riders sprinting to the finish, Kirsipuu edged Australian Robbie McEwen and Norway's Thor Hushovd.

"The sprint was incredible for me," Kirsipuu said. "I am really, really happy."

The overall leader's yellow jersey stayed on the young shoulders of Fabian Cancellara, a 23-year-old Swiss rider who won the debut time trial on Saturday.

There were several crashes, the first less than nine miles from the start in Liege, Belgium. It threw off Italian rider Mario Cipollini, making his Tour comeback after four years away, as well as Spain's Oscar Sevilla and French rider Guillaume Auger. They all rejoined the race, although Sevilla needed a new bike.

Austria's Bernhard Eisel also crashed, touching wheels with a rider in front and falling heavily. He barrel-rolled across the wet tarmac and skidded to a stop in the roadside grass, but picked himself up to resume racing.

Another crash less than three miles from the finish in Charleroi, also in Belgium, unseated France's Nicolas Jalabert.

For Armstrong and other contenders for the Tour crown, avoiding such accidents is a priority.

Armstrong rode much of the race toward the head of the field with riders from his U.S. Postal Service squad. Their game plan was to "stay at the front, everybody together, try to protect Lance and make sure there's no big breakaways," teammate George Hincapie said. "Mainly to stay out of trouble."

20. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

You didn't answer the question.