1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Total free speech is nonsense

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Oct 19, 2012.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Emotional abuse like this should be dealt with more beat downs.
    _____

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ROiQ-RA5xqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Westboro Baptist Church Protester Bull-Rushed At Military Funeral

The Westboro Baptist Church's attempt to picket a military funeral in North Carolina over the weekend drew a lively counter protest that crested when a service member in the crowd bull-rushed a congregant attempting to stomp on the American flag.

The service was meant to honor 29-year-old Staff Sgt. Donna Johnson, who was among 14 people killed earlier this month in a suicide bomber attack in Afghanistan. Johnson was reportedly gay, and is survived by her wife Tracy Dice, also a member of the armed forces. Westboro, which frequently links the death of American soldiers to the nation's growing acceptance of gays, made no mention of Johnson's sexuality in a release announcing their intent to demonstrate.

North Carolina's ABC 11 reports that hundreds of people showed up to block Westboro members from disrupting the service. The dueling demonstrations reportedly played out with only one "minor disturbance," presumably the incident documented above.

The Guardian of Valor blog reports that the assailant was later released by police without charges.

Westboro's provocative displays prompted legislative action earlier this year, when President Barack Obama signed a law placing restrictions on the timing and location of military funeral protests. Westboro organizers vowed they wouldn't be deterred.

Jonathan Phelps, a prominent member of the controversial congregation, summarized Westboro's views on the LGBT community last week, when he told radio host David Pakman that he "absolutely" supported the notion of putting gays to death.

link

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I thought degrading the flag was illegal

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

They have the right to speak their nonsense, and that guy had ever right to react like he did. Even though what he did is technically criminal, you'd think a good judge would throw that case out of the court.

4. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

The Phelps low-lifes live for this sort of attention. The best approach is simply to ignore them. They won't go away, but they will lose the power to push people's buttons and that's what they really crave.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I hate it that they do that, but it's their right under the first amendment and it needs to be protected. As difficult as it is to see it happen as I am totally against what they do, they have the right to do it.

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I'm all for the first amendment.. but I'm all for people getting what's coming to them when they do something that might piss someone off. This guy died protecting the rights of those assholes.. Westboro tried that here recently in Arkansas, then the Patriot Guard Riders got wind of it.. Westboro never showed. Someone needs to keep track of when members of the Westboro congregation dies and pull the same **** with them.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

CPS can charge a family with emotional abuse. How is a protest like this at a funeral not emotional abuse? Something like this could cause long lasting damage to the family. It's impossible to just ignore these kinds of vile attacks.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Texas v. Johnson.
    Nope. Its constitutional per Supreme Court ruling.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I disagree. The 1st does* (EDIT) support these idiots, but not from civil court, for inducing trauma and true emotional anguish, as per King Cheetah. Perhaps if there are children present at a funeral, that would let sane people sue these assholes.

I can't believe anyone with more than two neurons could possibly believe Jesus would want them to heckle a funeral.

#9 B-Bob, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  10. gwayneco

WRONG!

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

nyc has the smartest people in this country. everyone says what they mean and do what they say. not much of a problem here. free speech is absolute AFAIC

12. B-Bob

So you support heckling the funeral of a service member? Nice! Like all Steak and Ale buildings eventually turn into 3rd-rate strip clubs, we can now see the final form of Mr. Meowgi. SMDH.

13. gwayneco

I KNOW THIS IS GOING RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD, BUT I SUPPORT THEIR RIGHT BE JERKS.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Where you from in Arkansas??

15. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

in Little Rock.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Physical assault can never be given the same legal status as free speech because in practice it will always win. Far more just causes than unjust ones would be suppressed immediately.

17. B-Bob

Meowgi, please calm down, or wash the old Pepsi residue from your keyboard.

I know the first amendment protects their right to do these things, but I think those of us (not you, clearly) who care about things like dignified funeral services for members of the armed forces should get off our asses and start suing these subhumans. There are millions of less legitimate claims of emotional trauma in the courts even as we speak.

Also, as someone who has been threatened with arrest by the police before for "disturbing the peace," I'm not sure how far these idiots can really go before crossing that subjective line that law enforcement people face every day.

And it is in no way over my head that you, of all posters, would support other humans' "right to be jerks." It is the most predictable thing in the cosmos, and the only way in which you have ever shown yourself to be logically consistent. Kudos for that one example; maybe you can build on it.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would enjoy watching those cretins getting the living hell beaten out of them for disrupting a funeral, any funeral. There are plenty of low lifes in this country, but these insane people are close to the top of any reasonable list. In my opinion. They need to either be in a prison hospital, or a mental hospital. I really don't care which.

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Wesboro Baptist are bringing shame to Christ's name. They have the right to free speech, i agree, but if you are going to be a total jerk with a sign at least put correct information on the signs.

Why would a Christian, who is supposed to 'win' souls to Christ protest at the funeral of someone who just died in the act of fighting for your freedom to protest at a funeral?

Do they think that someone will see the sign 'God hates F-gs' 'God loves dead soldiers' and 'God made IED'S' at their friends funeral and suddenly say..."you know what those guys with the signs, they're right, I'm going to get saved and serve Jesus now.'

I just don't get it, it seems that Phelps just wants attention. He is going to have a lot to answer for when he stands before God to give an account of his actions.

#19 IzakDavid13, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

These people are assholes. Also, I agree with B-Bob, just because something is constitutionally protected free speech (which means you are protected from government interference with your speech, or sanction of it) does not necessarily mean that there is no civil law recourse against you by private parties regarding your speech. Otherwise, there would be no libel and slander laws.