1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 25 Busts in Houston Sports History

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 21, 2004.

1. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Toni Boselli

2. junglerules

junglerules Member

Are you talking about Jon Peters, the Brenham High school pitching phenom who won like 50 or 60 straight decisions? My dad's side of my family is from Brenham, and that story was HUGE back then. Didn't he make the cover of Sports Illustrated as well? Anyway, who knows what happened to the guy. I think I heard he ran into injury problems, but I'm not sure....

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

He was supposed to make the cover of SI until Nolan Ryan threw a no-hitter and bumped him off the cover.

He signed a baseball scholarship with A$M.

Case of overacheiver with a great curveball. Very few HS kids can hit curve balls. Unfortunately, he didn't have a great arm.

Great story about a kid who just enjoyed playing HS baseball and was good at that level.

Calling him a bust is distasteful and unnecessary.

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I personally think Kevin Willis was a bust. He did a great job handing the Jazz the 97 western conference championship. He had 3 of the most ineffective games I've ever seen in the games at Utah.

John Lucas was a bust to some degree.

5. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

I must speak in defense of Elmer Bennett, a high school teammate of mine.

El ha sido el rey de la balconesta española desde hace muchos años. ¿Un bust? Creo que no.