1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toothpaste + iPod = Bomb??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mfastx, Feb 15, 2012.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Awhile ago, I was at an airport. I had a carry-on, which contained toothpaste and an iPod. The secuity guy confiscated my toothpaste, saying that I could make a bomb out of toothpaste and an iPod.

Shame, as it was a brand new package of toothpaste.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lmfaooooo

Well he was probably joking, but you can't carry on gel and liquid substance over a certain volume. You should know this.

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i had sealed baby butt paste and those bastards "threw it away."

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

3 oz is the limit for any type of fluid.

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

not with what im packin'.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG] :confused:???
    you're packing less than 3, huh? :eek:

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I knew that, just had a brian fart and didn't know it applied to toothpaste.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

the way things are today, lucky he didn't take the ipad and let you keep the toothpaste.

1 person likes this.
  9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my cousin is an army ranger - a major - has 5 tours under his belt and multiple decorations. he had a necklace w/ a brass knuckle pendant that is maybe 2 centimeters wide. they would not let him board the plane with it b/c they said it was a "weapon". he asked to speak to a supervisor and they said the same thing so instead of giving it up he had to go fed ex it to himself before boarding.

i have a friend who is into photography and still uses a old school camera w/ film from time to time. tsa absolutely freaked out like they had never seen one before and pulled him out and searched/interrogated him for about 30 minutes. "WHAT IS THIS? WHY DO YOU HAVE THIS?" and he was studying hindi at the time and had some books on him which freaked them out even more.

we spend 8 billion dollars a year to be treated like this...

dont yall feel safer now.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is why I won't fly anymore.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i havent flown since august 2010.

12. yo

yo Contributing Member

I love it when they quiz me and ask me to state my full name and destination when they're doing the ID check. It's like, if I were stealing some name or were on some mission, I'm pretty sure I'd do my due diligence to glance at the name on the ID and the destination on the boarding pass and make sure it matches what I tell them. Whatever makes them feel like they're doing their job, I guess.

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

They tried this new thing at IAH this week where they make you hold onto your boarding pass while walking through the screener/metal detector (so they could make sure you havn't switched within the past 30 seconds since your boarding pass was previously checked).

Too bad TSA didn't think of how all those smart phones will do going through metal detectors. :rolleyes:

That caused quite the backup.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Haha... :grin: LOL @ people complaining about not being able to understand rules or knowing they're there and still trying to get past them... :grin:

You know the rules AHEAD of time, yet you still try to get on a plane by breaking them?

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

My son and I flew to NYC a few years ago. Like the OP, I totally BFed the toothpaste thing so they threw out my toothpaste. We were only going up to pick up a car so we had nothing but carry-on. We had to spend the night on the way back of course so I had to run to get some toothpaste. The only thing nearby was a gas station whose only choice of toothpaste was Aquafresh. When I came back to the hotel room, there on the nightstand was a 3" lock blade. I said, "Where did you get that?". His reply was,"It was in my backpack". "Nice..." as I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth with my $4 stale Aquafresh.

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You have reading comprehension issues. He didn't say it was confiscated for being over 3 oz. It could have been the travel size they allowed. He said it was confiscated for being an ingredient in an iPod bomb.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Similar amusingly stupid situation.

That thread has others as well. (Although there's 25 pages of poo-flinging to sort through).

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I assume that the TSA guy was talking about the fact you could have something else in the tube of toothpaste and combined with the electronics of an iPod, a bomb could be made.

My guess would be that he would have said the same thing about an 8 ounce tube of Preparation H and a Walkman.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You don't need a tube of anything. Just a laptop battery.