1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

tony hollings traded to fins???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

i just saw on houstonprofootball.com that the fins are interested in hollings since they lost ricky williams..........i dunno what they have to offer us but i would keep him....

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Unless they plan on offering a 1st rd pick (doubtful) I don't see it happening.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Funny, this dawned on me this morning when I first heard about Rickey's departure. I wouldn't give up Hollings for anything less than a first round pick or player(s) worth that much.

Reason? a. We gave up a high second rounder for him
    b. kid could be the real deal, he hasn't had the chance due to DD's great season and his injury.
    c. We're very thin after DD, if he goes down we would be in trouble without Hollings.
    d. Hollings is a perfect change of pace back
    e. The dolphins are desperate here, make them give up the house.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is just speculation by the herald reporter of potential trade options. Not that the Texans have been contacted.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Geez. This thread title scared me.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dominick might be the one (of the two) to go, if one went.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No chance it's Domanick. Give them Wells.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

not a chance in hell

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Are you kidding? Dominick is the one who has proven himself and showed that he can be the RB of the future for this team. Hollings may be untapped potential, but as Rockets fans, we all know what the word "potential" can lead to. (Think Eddie Griffin even without the personal problems)

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

That isnt gonna happen. Not even close.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reports (Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly and John McClain) are saying that Hollings is finally past his ACL and is showing in workouts why the Texans spent a #2 on him. The RB position is going to be one of the more intruiging ones to watch in training camp. Davis likely won't be unseated as he is the better blocker and pass receiver, but as Hollings improves in these areas Davis may get challenged for the job by seasons end. Hollings still has to prove he can do it in a game. Davis has to prove he can be durable. They both have things to prove, though Davis has less.

Davis has been a great back so far and if he picks up where he left off, then he is definitely a guy you build around. But if Hollings continues his development, then he would be the back of choice as he has one attribute Davis will never have... blinding speed. But these are big ifs. It is still potential, as you point out. But, at least amongst the NFL prognosticators, the whispers are that Hollings is realizing that potential. And I hope the whispers are true.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Hollings seems like a bunch of hype to me. I think Davis will always be the better back because his vision is better and he runs much harder than Hollings. Hollings is fast but speed does not make you a #1 back. You have to have to entire package.

13. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

DD reminds me of a poor man's Emmit Smith. He is elusive and quick. He has power for his size and very good acceleration but does lack that "blinding"speed that Hollings has.

I would not give up Hollings for anything less than a 1st round pick.

14. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one but the Texans coaches a a few media types have seen Hollings run/workout at 100% since his ACL. He wasn't recovered last season, so we can't evaluate him on that. But I've read that Hollings is beginning to show the "entire package." He is recovering his cut back and power. He is picking up on receiving and has to pick up his blocking in camp. McClain has said that the coaches have been pleased with his improvement and that the fans are going to be surprised by this kid this season. No one is arguing he can become #1 solely because of his speed. They are arguing he may challenge to be #1 later this season because of his total package includes blinding speed. There is no hype in that. But like you, I just want to see it with my own eyes.

But y'all gotta admit, if the Texans have hit on Holllings and he shows it this season, then they have a very nice quandry on their hands next season. They'd have two starting quality backs, either one of which would make great trade bait come draft day.

15. caphorns

caphorns Member

I don't see Miami giving up a First for an unproven back like Hollings, which is good. I like Hollings and think it is critical for the Texans to keep two solid backs on the roster at all times. I actually want to see these guys win this year. It would be damn hard to pass up a 1st round pick though.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I guess Im a little bias because Im a Davis fan but I just think Davis is more of a every down back than Hollings. I think Capers should put him on kickoff returns because with his speed he is a legit threat to run it back.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, if Hollings does realize his potential, that would be outstanding as both of them are on rookie contracts. We would have a lovely one two punch at RB in case one were to get hurt. That's especially nice since the biggest question regarding DD is his durability.

One thing I love about Davis that I never saw in Hollings (and again, this could have been due to the injury) was his uncanny ability to remain upright after being hit once or even multiple times. He has huge, strong legs that he can pump when people grab on to him and he is great at shedding tackles. To me, that is more important than breakaway speed in a running back. But if Hollings improves and challenges for the starting job, either would make outstanding trade bait to maybe pick up some high draft picks sometime in the future.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

John McLain said that the Texans rate Hollins over Davis. I merely cited in my post.

19. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Although it's a fantasy nightmare, I think that a platoon RB would be pretty nice if both of them progressed as they are now. Hollings and DD provide nice contrasts to each other, the "change of pace" that we could use in game and allow Coach Capers to open up the playbook a little more. I honestly thought Hollings would be the better back, but DD's a great one right now too. GOOD predicament for the Texans to be in.