1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tokyo in April

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HTM, Dec 18, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

If anyone has any familiarity with Tokyo... (cross posted from Reddit)...I figured maybe some Clutchfans folks have some experience with Tokyo...

I will be visiting Tokyo from the United States in April (arriving April 21 and departing April 26) to watch the 2020 Diving World Cup which will be hosted at the brand new Tokyo Aquatics Centre. I am planning on staying at the Hilton Tokyo Odaiba which is only 5.7 km away from the venue according to google maps. I have never visited Japan or Asia.

Hilton Tokyo Odaiba, 1 Chome-9-1 Daiba, Minato City, Tokyo 135-8625, Japan (Hotel)
    2-chōme-2 Tatsumi, Koto City, Tōkyō-to 135-0053, Japan (Aquatic Centre)

My questions:

How is Tokyo in April?
    Are Taxi's or ride sharing services a good way to get between these two points do you think?
    Should I be able to navigate the city only speaking English?
    Anything else I should know about or consider as an American?

Thanks

Rodman23 likes this.
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

- It is literally the best month to go. If you are there early enough, you'll hit cherry blossom season.
    - The subway is better than surface streets. Taxis are super expensive, the metro is the way to go and pretty easy to figure out
    - Since you are in Tokyo, English will get you around. Almost all signs are also in English and you'll be able to find English speakers here and there. Use a translation app or learn a few key phrases. If you get outside of the Tokyo metro area into the countryside, you'll have a tougher time. The people are patient with you though.
    - Learn some of the basic etiquette, just google it. (Don't wear shoes into someone's house, don't stick your chopsticks sticking out of your food, etc.)
    - Have fun!

Yung-T, mtbrays and HTM like this.
  3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

* Sushi
    * Ramen
    * Bento boxes
    * 7/11 (best 7/11 in the world)
    * Ass washing toilets

Fun times

HTM likes this.
  4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

If you've got a free day, take a day trip to Hakone, from where you can see Mt. Fuji, and perhaps more impressively, the Hakone Open Air Museum. It's the best museum I've ever been to, and I've seen the Louvre and Hermitage.

Yung-T and HTM like this.
  5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ichiran for Ramen

HTM likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For some reason, anyone you ask is going to tell you to ignore taxis and the Japan Taxi app, and opt for buses & train instead. There's some myth that riding a taxi in Tokyo is devastatingly expensive. It's not.

If you want to just use taxis and avoid the learning curve and initial stress that comes with riding buses & trains in Tokyo - GO FOR IT. Public transportation in Japan might be insanely convenient but it can also be insanely stressful at first, especially in Tokyo DURING the Olympics AND Cherry Blossom season. Oh lawdt. It's gonna be a CLUSTER. You're going to be a sardine.

My advice is, if you wont be in Japan again ever or anytime soon, find a way to visit the other amazing cities (for that you'll have to brave the trains), at the very least- Kyoto.

*everyone speaks English in Tokyo

Also, again... sardine. Busiest possible moment in all of history to visit Tokyo.

7. HTM

HTM Member

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond!

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Nice! I’m trying to go in may. Bookmarking this

HTM likes this.
  9. MystikArkitect

Depends on what you're looking for but definitely take a bullet to Kyoto for a day or two if possible. Tokyo has a billion things to do so it really depends on your personality.

-Shibuya crossing was cool and the shelling was fun but if you're not a big shopping person then there's not much else.

-Ramen. There's no shortage of it.

-Sushi. Still the best meal I've ever had to this day. Got it from a Jiro disciple.

- Ginza is like a cooler 5th Ave.

-Golden Gai if you like drinking. Met some Aussies and had a blast.

- forget which major brewery is there but I definitely wish I'd gone.

- Taxis were much more expensive for me

10. Buck Turgidson

Dude, you will have so much fun.

HTM likes this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do they still make you buy a JR Rail pass outside of the country?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah