1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans got ROYALY SCREWED !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DaDakota, Nov 13, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

All that being said, if we run shot gun the rest of the year we could easily win out and make the playoffs. It's not over yet. MCnair has shown some flashes the past two weeks.

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Don't mention Ian Howfield or you'll get a nasty email from him. :)

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No one's mentioned that horrendous personal foul call on McCrary on the last drive.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think that was a penalty either.

Did anyone see when McNair plowed the DB. That was freaking awesome. That guy just conked out. I've never seen a QB do that to a defender in all my years. It rivals when Cunnigham took that hit in the knee cap and then stood up, and also when Mcnair shredded both Super bowl Rams to get the Titans in scoring position on the last drive.

5. Band Geek Mobster

Hmm what do you call a penalty where a defender hits an offensive player before the ball is snapped?

The refs changed the call to the RIGHT call...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OFFSIDES WITH CONTACT! YOU CAN'T JUST BE OFFSIDES AND PUSH THE OFFENSIVE PLAYERS AROUND!

6. Timing

Timing Member

Errr McNair has shown flashes for years now. The flashes are that he can't throw the ball down field. He's one of the most innacurate passers I've ever seen. He routinely misses wide open receivers down the field. I'm talking WIDE open receivers. Titans fans wonder why the offense is unimaginative, well damn, the QB can't throw. That kind of hinders the type of offense you can run.

Last night McNair threw the ball 48 times for 256 yards. That's a little over 5 yards an attempt which is horrible.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it would be difficult not to rate him as one of the best QB's in his era.

He is 1 or 2 in winning
    He is 1 or 2 in 4th Quarter comebacks
    He is 1 or 2 in rushing

...over his career. And those are facts. They are not subjective.

He may be dead last in passing yardage, but what other Qb isn't dead last in rushing yards compared to him. So what if he can't throw the deep ball. It hasn't hurt the team, so what's the big deal.

8. Band Geek Mobster

PSJ,

Are you talking about Steve Mcnair?

What 4th quarter comebacks has he led?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

BGM, I can't list them, because the titans web site no longer lists them, but there are a ton of them. You'd be very surprised at how many he has. He is right at the top of the list for comebacks. They are usually FG's, but that's all they ever needed. Think about all the close games they've played over the last four or five years. It surprised me too, but it's real.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

winning is subjective, since he's not the only player on the field. if winning, and winning only, was the variable... well, trent dilfer has as many SB championships as steve young and brett favre, and more than dan marino, warren moon, dan fouts... hell, he has more than steve mcnair.

comebacks are also misleading statistics because it excludes the guy who builds a big lead for his team, ala kurt warner. plus, something bad usually has to happen for a team to come back, and oft-times, it's the play of the QB, or, at the very least, the offense the QB is in charge of. perhaps if mcnair was a more consistently effective QB, the titans wouldn't have to come back so often and win games 13-10.

and i find it interesting you think he's "one of the best QB's in his era," yet can't find a single passing stat to help support this. mcnair is, at best, an average NFL QB. he has a great arm (but zero touch), the guy can certainly run and there is a certain something about him at the end of the game.

but right now, he's not better than warner, garcia, culpepper, favre, mcnabb, flutie, griese, gannon, brunell, couch, grbac, manning, bledsoe and possibly brady, which makes him the 14th or 15th best starting QB in football. average.

and i don't think mcnair's appreciably better than green, johnson or brooks, either.

he's been in the league six years now, and we're still hearing fans complain about the titans inability to exploit his strengths. at some point, it stops being about the titans' inability...

#50 Hey Now!, Nov 14, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2001
  11. Hey Now!

opps, meant to hit edit, not reply -- disregard, people, nothing to see here...

12. Timing

Timing Member

Thank you very much Ric. I don't know how anyone could consider McNair the best QB of ANY era when he can't hit a 15 yard post with any kind of consistency. All the guts, toughness, and leadership in the world doesn't make you a good quarterback if you can't hit open guys down field. I wonder if any Titans fans know that Neil O'Donnell has a better career QB rating than Err McNair. That's about how good McNair is.

#52 Timing, Nov 14, 2001
  13. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I say make a move for Drew Bledsoe; looks like he's not going to be much-needed in New England next year. What kind of a deal would Titans offer?

14. Hey Now!

the titans just re-upped on mcnair and are slated to be some $15M over the cap next year. no question, brining in bledsoe's $100M contract would be the prudent thing to do. along those same line, i think the redskins still owe deion sanders a bunch money, want him, too?

15. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

What a great game (besides the ending)!!! It took me this long to get over that defeat on MNF. That was a heartbreaking loss any way you cut it.

This was the one game I had circled on my calendar from the time the Ravens beat us in the playoffs this past January. Man I can't tell you how bad I felt after this loss. I can only imagine what the players are feeling. The Titans season for all practical purposes is over.

Regarding the call. I don't want to make a big deal over it because the Titans had their chances (several times during the course of the game) along with the QB sneak. They couldn't punch it in. You have to take advantage when the other team turns the ball over to you and the Titans did not do that. That will always come back to haunt a team. I don't think the QB sneak was a bad call. Keep in mind that Fisher stated today that Bruce Matthews did not give Steve a clean snap. The plan was for McNair to jump over the top of the pile. But due to the poor snap prevented that. Keep in mind that the Titans were playing completely short handed as our top 3 Tight Ends were all gone by the 4th quarter. I mean our practice squad tight end was our starting TE. That has been the story on both sides of the ball for the Titans. Injuries have destroyed this team.

You have to give credit to McNair and several others on that last drive. Derrick Mason showed tremendous guts on that last drive. Playing with a high ankle sprain. This guy may not have the numbers of a Randy Moss or a Terrel Owens but he proved to me that he has the heart and ability of a clutch receiver. Also keep in mind that McNair had a bad case of the flu. He was given IVs. Kevin Dyson also made several plays. The last drive was a thing of beauty excluding the last play. McNair is a winner and as Ric mentioned that is hard to define. But he has that certain "clutchness" about him. Just as John Elway got credited for numerous comebacks Steve has that same quality. He seems to play his best ball with two minutes left in the half/or end of the game. Ric also made a good point that if he played more consistently during the course of the game the Titans would not be in position to have to score on the last drive. But that is life as a Titans fan (especially with Coach Fisher).

Being a Titans fan I am proud to have Steve as our starting QB. He may not be perfect but he has the heart of a champion!!! That is not an average quality/ability.

The Titans have been killed with injuries to a greater extent than most realize. That is a big reason behind the teams poor record. With that said I believe the Titans will be a team to be reckoned with next season in the AFC South. The more I see this division the more I like it. The Titans will be in very good shape next year with the Jags, Colts and Texans.

Those who think Eddie is a wussy. Get real. He is still one of the elite running backs in the NFL. Eddie George will be back as will the Titans!!!

PS. Our rookie receiver Drew Bennett. He is a true diamond in the rough. This kid is going to be a good one.

#55 Dream34, Nov 14, 2001
  16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you are including wins and Rushing Yards I guess Kordell Stewart is also a damn fine QB as well . Steve McNair is one on a team where the Quarterback position is like a term in congress , no one is taking over for him unless he cant go at it . The Titans got to the Super Bowl on a fluke play in a wild card game , sure they beat a team like the Colts who had a high powered offense but no defense , but when it came to a team like the Bills you almost lost to Rob Johnson .

17. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Ric, this may be stating the obvious...but wouldn't we have to <b>give up</b> something to take on Bledsoe? Might that provide a way financially? How about sending him to New Orleans? They have a fine offensive line when they keep their helmets on.

Anyone who can throw the ball down the field would be a welcome addition to the Titans. McNair is looking better the last couple of weeks but he has got to be the most inconsistent throwing quarterback in the NFL.

BTW, why so insulting in your tone? This is football, damnit, not politics!!!!!!! Go easy.

18. Dream34

Moe,
    Buddy!!! You are not giving the Superbowl Titans team their just due.

In addition to beating the always hyped Colts team with their high powered offense in Indy! You failed to mention that the Titans also beat one of the best teams in football that year in the Jacksonville Jags in Jacksonville. That team only had two losses that season (both to the Titans). To beat the same team three times is not easy.

The Titans had luck that year with the Music City Miracle but they also played very well on the road against two quality teams!! The Titans earned that trip to the Superbowl!!! ;)

19. Dream34

Richrocket,
    No way the Titans are going to make a move on Drew Bledsoe.

For better or for worse. The Titans have their QB and that is Steve McNair. At least for the next 2-3 years (if not longer).

20. haven

haven Member

1. Winning % is not a great stat for QB's. Football, more than any other sport, is a complete team game. Think Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Brett Favre last year? Or even remotely close?

2. The Titans got the benefit of the majority of calls on that last drive. Sorry, Dyson WAS going out of bounds. There was no way he could have dragged his foot. Sorry, McCrary wasn't even in a position to SEE if McNair had gotten the ball off... he'd already began his dive. That was just a good defensive play.

3. Boulware's contact looked pretty darned accidental. I mean, he could eithe (a) try to run through the line of scrimmage or (b) run around it. (b) takes substantially longer, thus (a) made more sense.