1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans got ROYALY SCREWED !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DaDakota, Nov 13, 2001.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mcnair goes in on the last play, and the referees call it back because a defender touches him...what a CROCK Of crap.

Why reward the defender for cheating, it should be a declinable penalty, and the touchdown stands !!!!!!!

They got FU.... !!!

And yes I concede they should have still been able to make up that 6 inches.

My take on the Titans this year.

Eddie George is running like a FAIRY.

The offense has NO clue on how to move the ball, and Steve McNair is horrible.

Derrick Mason is also not running with authority.

This team got drunk on its own press clippings, and now flat out STINKS !!!

DaDakota

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

What a crock of ****.

That's the rule. If you can't win by playing within the rules, then oh well. When a defensive player comes into contact with an offensive player before the snap of the ball the play is ruled dead. This happens all the time during the play of a game. Just because the Titty-ans were at the goal-line and there was 1 second left, doesn't mean that rule doesn't apply.

Besides, you TOTALLY failed to mention that the TD shouldn't have counted anyways, because the stupid-a$$ Titty-ans, didn't have enough players on the line of scrimmage. So, WHO was cheating?

#2 DREAMer, Nov 13, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2001
  3. DaDakota

Dreamer,

That is NOT reviewable. The play should have stood.

The Ravens got away with Murder, on that TD pass to Ismail, Carter was TACKLED from behind in the Ravens backfield.

Referees...should NEVER....NEVER...NEVER decide a game, and they did tonight.

pathetic.

DaDakota

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

What do you mean, "That is NOT reviewable"? What isn't reviewable? There was a FLAG thrown on the play. The penalty was defensive off-sides. What did the referees review?

If you're referring to the illegal alignment, it isn't "reviewable", but the referees can conference and make a decision after the play. It doesn't matter though, because of the off-sides penalty, that caused the dead-ball.

The referees didn't stuff McNair on that last play from a foot away from the goal-line.

5. Timing

Timing Member

I personally would like to thank the Titans and Cowgirls for making this season so enjoyable for this Texans fan. Steve "Errr" McNair was beyoootiful tonight. I knew it wouldn't be long before the Titans reverted back to their inept Oiler selves. Screw you Bud Adams!!!!! :p

6. DaDakota

Dreamer,

My point is that the defense is REWARDED by stopping the touchdown because they CHEATED, that is unacceptable by any standards.

Yes, I concur they should have been able to stuff the ball in from the 4 inch line.

My point is that the TD should have stood. The defense TOUCHING Mcnair, should have been a DECLINABLE penalty, otherwise you are rewarding the cheaters.

DaDakota

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I hope the Titans never learn how to correctly utilize McNair's talent.

Hopefully, for his sake, he'll be traded early enough in his career to a team and a coach that can devise an offense to use his natural abilities.

He's not the best QB ever in the history of the NFL, but he has talent. Talent that is being wasted by the Titty-ans.

There's players on the team that I like, it's the team (organization) as a whole, that I DESPISE!

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

You need to stop using the word "cheated", because the Titty-ans would then also have to be labelled as "cheaters" for running a play with an illegal offensive alignment.

The offsides is a "DEAD-BALL PENALTY". The defensive player obviously did not touch an offensive player on purpose to stop the play. He was obviously trying to avoid the QB and linemen. I think it would've been a "heads-up" play on the defense's part if someone would've thought to touch one of the offensive linemen to stop the clock and the play. I would've done that had it been me on that field. The rule is there. Why not use it to your advantage?

9. DaDakota

Cheating should never be at an ADVANTAGE for someone. In any case where a cheater can be rewarded for cheating, the offense should be able to decline the penalty and take the result of the play.

I will concur that Fisher is doing a HORRIBLE job this year.

McNair needs to roll out, and use his feet, because he is NOT a pocket passer.

Also, George is toast, he p***y foots it into the line of scrimage.

This team missed its shot when Al Del chocko missed those 2 field goals in last years AFC championship game.

DaDakota

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Hats off to the Titans for playing a tough game.... the old "moral victory!"

The Titans would grind out a lead and give up a quick tie to the Ravens (both at 3-3 and 10-10). That has got to be demoralizing.

At least they finally completed some balls to their wideouts. That was tough near the end when (with Mason in and out) they had 5 receivers in the lineup, none of whom played in the league last year.

Quarterback sneak was a BAD CALL. Should have gone to the shotgun and see what opens up. McNair is good at improvising. Maybe a quarterback draw or something.

Oh well, grab a good draft selection and take a year to heal.

Ray Lewis has got to be the most dominating player in football. Eddie George is over-rated. The Ravens have two rookie running backs getting carries and the Titans won't give the ball to Skip Hicks or Mike Green to save their lives.

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I just don't get it, so I'll drop it (this particular part) after this reply.

Why is it wrong for Baltimore to "cheat", but not wrong for Tennessee to "cheat"?

Had the play stood, the Titty-ans would've been rewarded for "cheating".

I think it was totaly fair to call back the TD, but give the Titty-ans another un-timed shot at the goal line.

Tennessee cheated. Baltimore cheated. Off-setting. Do over. Sounds fair to me.

12. Major

Major Member

<B>Cheating should never be at an ADVANTAGE for someone. In any case where a cheater can be rewarded for cheating, the offense should be able to decline the penalty and take the result of the play.</B>

Except there was no play, because the ball is ruled DEAD on an encroachment penalty. Sure, the Titans ran a play, but after the ball is dead, that's irrelevent. The whistle should have blown as soon as encroachment was called -- the refs screwed that up, but penalizing the Ravens for the ref's mistake would have been far worse.

End result: the refs made the right call. The only way the Titans got screwed is if they expected to be allowed to take advantage of a ref error.

13. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Since cheating implies "intent," it seems to me like neither team cheated.

Boulware tried to fly over to his side of the line of scrimmage and barely touched Matthews calf on his way down. Isn't that the contact he was cited for?

One of the Tennesse wideouts failed to line up on the line of scrimmage. No advantage gained there on a QB sneak.

Actually I thought the call was for Boulware being in the "neutral zone." In other words he was still in mid-air over the neutral zone when the ball was snapped.

It looked like Matthews moved offsides, but that would be impossible since he snaps the ball. McNair held the ball for a long count or so before diving in. The ball was snapped sooner than most of us thought it was.

If you watch the reply, I think you'll see Matthews 2 yards ahead of the rest of the players.

14. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

DaDakota, I'm not sure what your beef is. Is it the rule itself(you feel the rule should be changed so that the offensive team has the option of declining it) or the fact that it played such a big part in tonights game? And also, if Mcnair hadn't made it in and they hadn't called anything would you be complaining that the Ravens were offsides and the Titans should have gotten another play?

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Did you all hear how quiet the stadium got when the ref announced the decision? You could hear a pin drop.

Anyway, I was suprised to see the Titans run another QB sneak. IMO they screwed up there.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You can take the Oilers out of Houston, but you can't take the Oilers out of the Titans...

wait...what did I just say? Ahh, screw it...GO TEXANS!

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Screw job. period. I think we all know what went down. Somebody on the ravens got naked with the refs. It's clear to me what happened.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dadakota -- referees don't lose football games..teams do. teams that can't move the ball for about 3/4 of a game. teams that can't punch it in from the one yard line when the whole game is on the line.

rules are rules...they don't apply any less simply because there are less than 5 seconds left in the game.

timing -- SO AGREED!!! :)

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Like clockwork, the jilted lovers always come out when the Titans lose. If you can't do enough to keep your own team, root against another one. I guess that's the thinking.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Freak -- they lost....that's it. thank you.