1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans at Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Dec 16, 2003.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I just heard the titans backup QB Billy Volek is out for the season. Now they know how we feel. McNair is doubtful which means he'll probably play. :mad:

The titans can clinch a playoff spot with a win in Houston. How sweet would it be to beat them and have them lose the next week and miss the playoffs all together?

I hope the Texans realize how much this game means to all of us former oiler fans and use it as motivation. I also hope Carr plays. ;)

No prediction until I find out who both starting QB's will be.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I just read about Volek...McNair will start, but so will Carr...Ragone is losing us so much trade value, its freakin' pathetic...I know its not all his fault, but it doesn't help...

3. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

First the Titans will hopefully roll the texans...im a titans/texans fan but when it comes to the two teams playin each other I go for the team that has a chance to win superbowl....this year its the titans. even if....small if the titans lose to texans they probably will make playoffs depending on other teams.....i hope mcnair plays

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're no Texans' fan. Quit saying you are.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, that's like saying "I like the Rockets AND the jazz".

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm a Texans/Titans fan too. And anyone who says we aren't real fans is dead wrong. We love the team just as much as you. Period. A mother loves both her children. So do we.

But besides that, this should be a good game. Last week they said McNair would be in only shotgun. and nothing else. That would be really interesting to see. After that it's Jason Gesser, Drew Bennett, or possibly Neil O'donnel.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Put aside the fact that one team is owned by a traitor to Houston, but their both in the same freaking division. How in the hell can you root for both. Anytime you actively root for one of your teams to lose is the second you stop being a fan of one of those teams. You can like both teams, but you can't be diehard fans of both teams.

I'm not dead wrong, you're dead wrong.

8. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

Amen brutha

No way I could root for a team owned by Bud Adams.

That mo fo stabbed Oiler fans in the back and gave the whole city the middle finger after the Titans won the AFC.

9. Buck Turgidson

Someday soon, may not be this Sunday, but someday soon, the Texans are going to beat the ever-living **** out of the titans, and will continue to beat the ever-living **** out of the titans for years to come. And then I will be able to die a happy man.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The game won't be worth watching if Carr does not play. But if he does I think it will be a dog fight like the New England game. I also think Davis will break that 28 game streak by the Titans without allowing a 100yd rusher.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I am very excited about this sundays game against the Titans. It will be my first game at Reliant Stadium, and I can't think of a better way to kick things off then to see an ass whooping put on by the Texans. I'm looking forward to seeing David and Davids in person and in action.

Go Houston!!:)

12. Roc Paint

I ment to say Davis.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i'm right there with ya, brutha. i'm a patriot/chief/colt/titan/raven/bronco/bengal fan. go patriots/chiefs/colts/titans/ravens/broncos/bengals!

14. mrdave543

its funny how upset people get over this but it doesnt bother me. I had no team for a couple years so i still supported the Oilers/Titans. I dont support teams based on owners, if I did I WOULD NOT BE A ROCKETS FAN! LES IS A PRICK!!! get off ur high horses and realize its perfectly ok to be a titans/texans fan and grow up

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I usually support teams at least partially based on geographic proximity. I've not spent a whole lot of time in Nashville, and I know almost nothing about the city, so it'd be hard for me to support their NFL team, especially since they play in the same division as the team I do support.

As for supporting owners, it's one thing to say you root for teams, not owners. Having been born in San Antonio, I am a lifetime Spurs fan, and I didn't start being a Nuggets fan when Red McCombs owned that team. So I get it.

But the Oilers were always Bud's franchise and Bud was a very public face on that franchise, and once the owner takes the team, moves them, renames them and shoots the middle finger back to the city he moved the team from, it becomes a lot harder to support his team.

If they were still the Oilers, I could better understand the continued love for the team, but they aren't even the Oilers anymore. Basically all they have to connect them to Houston is the small bit of Columbia Blue on their uniforms, a couple of lines in the media guide, the owner and a couple of players who so very briefly played in Houston (I would venture to bet that one might be able to find another team with just as many former Oilers on it if one looked around at the rosters) at a time when the team was already on its way out the door.

As it is, it's basically random. Those who root for the Titans, it seems to me, do root for them because of the owner because that's the biggest thing that still connects them to the team the rest of us used to like. Otherwise, what's the point? You could've picked any team once the Oilers ceased to be to be a fan of and had almost the same connection to Houston. The biggest thing that connects the Titans to Houston is Bud Adams. So yeah, Titans fans are people who are rooting for the owner of the team... the owner that gave Houston the finger, moved the team, changed the name, refused to let anyone else ever use the name or logo, actively roots for the current Houston team to lose, and basically washed away all the connections that franchise ever had to Houston.

Say what you will about Les, the Rockets are still here. I imagine that if Les moved the Rockets, there'd be a lot fewer Rockets fans in Houston, too. Probably a lot of the same people who chastise you "dual fans" would be ones who stopped rooting for the Rockets (and I know that had the Spurs ended up leaving San Antonio, I would not have continued to be a Spurs fan because they wouldn't be the SAN ANTONIO SPURS anymore. To me, the first part of the name is just as important as the last part).

16. Roc Paint

Don't mess with Texas...plain and simple.

Screw Buds "Adams Family"

17. mrdave543

I respect your opinion....and you were at least tasteful in explaining it, but I still see it otherwise. Maybe if I was older I would have been hurt more by the Oilers leaving but I was in my early teens and it sucked to have no team so I had to have something to hold on to...Now being a lil older its still hard for me to let go of them. The point about les is that hes a **** head in life and is just an ass to deal with, so is bud adams.....thanks for pointing out the fact that the main connection with the oilers is bud but I still will be a fan....

18. mrpaige

I just don't see how you could also be a Texans fan if you are a Titans fan. I'll give you that, in the time you didn't have a team, that it made sense to pick another team... and that team was as good as, if not better, any other to root for.

But if that's your team, then that's your team. Now that Houston has another team, one that plays in the same division as the Texans and, therefore, plays twice a year, I can't see how one could have dual loyalties. I understand people who say they are both Cowboys and Texans fans better since at least those two teams only play each other in meaningful games once every four years (barring a Super Bowl match-up, of course).

It really is kind of like saying that you're a fan of both the Rockets and the Jazz, like someone else before mentioned. Or saying, "I like the Packers and the Vikes" or "I like the Red Sox and the Yankees" or "I like the Dodgers and the Giants" or "I like the Blackhawks and the Red Wings" or "I like the Bulls and the Knicks" or "I like the Raiders and the Chiefs" or "I like the Steelers and the Browns"... and you get the picture.

You want to be a Titans fan? Fine. I can respect that, but I don't see how a person can be both a fan of the Texans and a fan of a team that sets out week in and week out to better the Texans.

19. mrpaige

Now that Houston has another team, one that plays in the same division as the Texans and, therefore, plays twice a year, I can't see how one could have dual loyalties.

That should read "...plays in the same division as the Titans..."

20. mrpaige

I wonder if there are people in Cleveland who claim to be both Browns and Ravens fans. I even wonder if there are people in Baltimore who claim to be both Ravens and Colts fans.

I seriously doubt there are, but I guess that's just the difference between Cleveland and Houston.

To me, when the Oilers ceased to be, I focused my attention on Houston's quest for a new team. I also watched the way the new Browns were being built to get an idea of what we'd probably be looking forward to with a new Houston franchise.

I mean, the expansion process was well underway by the time the Oilers became the Titans. And it was only what? A month or so into that season when the official word came down that Houston was getting a new team.

So once the Oilers were gone, I already had another team to root for, granted they wouldn't start playing for almost three more years, but it was enough to know they were coming to keep me from shifting my loyalties to a different team, even if that team used to be the Oilers and used to play in Houston.